Stones legends v QPR legends - Sunday 14th July

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones legends v QPR legends - Sunday 14th July

Postby Roge S » Fri May 31, 2019 4:06 pm

Any former Stones from the GB era reading this and not on the list above, ping me an email at roge.s@btinternet.com and ill reply with details and how you can be involved!
Age comes to those who wait.
Roge S

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Fri May 31, 2019 6:40 pm

Come for Chris Walton
Stay for Fabio Valentti
Waltons Left Boot

Postby Roge S » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:10 am

attendees list in original post updated.
Roge S

Postby Roge S » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Original list updated again...
Roge S

Postby deadly » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Not the right era or subject I know...but whilst waiting for a delayed flight back from Tallinn after watching the Estonia U21 v England C game, I had a short chat with Paul Fairclough the England C manager and mentioned Wealdstone...he said, " do you know what they called me at Wealdstone? ..Cyril...nice one Cyril, nice one son, nice one Cyril, let's have another one...as I come from up north.." I was a bit bemused at this and had to look up the reference and presumably he was referring to the original Wonderloaf ad campaign rather than the later Tottenham song. Can any of our fans from that time elaborate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_One_Cyril

I congratulated him on playing over a hundred games for the Stones but passed over his Barnet connections... :o :o :o (not sure if playing over a hundred games for Wealdstone would qualify anyone as a legend either...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Fairclough
https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... eartbreak/
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby BillyByrneFan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:02 am

I think it was a matter of us having another Paul in the team when he 1st came, Paul Dougherty if my memory serves. To avoid confusion on the pitch Fairclough got "Cyril". I think it was around the time of the bread advert but we were aware of the Spurs song. He was known for his vicious swerving free kicks and was sung when the ball was in the opposition net.
BillyByrneFan

Postby Windermere Bore » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Was talking to a former classmate of Don Shanks today. He's lost touch with Mr. Shanks, but assures me he still pops up at QPR things. "An Evening With Don Shanks" would be enlightening and entertaining.
Windermere Bore

Postby Stoney Ground » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:59 am

Windermere Bore wrote:Was talking to a former classmate of Don Shanks today. He's lost touch with Mr. Shanks, but assures me he still pops up at QPR things. "An Evening With Don Shanks" would be enlightening and entertaining.

I’m sure it would be, for QPR fans.
Stoney Ground

Postby Windermere Bore » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm

I doubt if 5% of Q.P.R. fans under 35 have heard of him.
It says on his Wikipedia page - a trustworthy source, obviously - that he played for Wealdstone after playing once for Wimbledon. I don't remember that, but I didn't go to Lower Mead very often.
Can't have been any 1970s 1st Division player who got into more scrapes - and cells - outside the game than Don Shanks. He is a very funny bloke, but best remembered for having Stan Bowles as his straightman in the double act. From what I remember of Stanley's autobiography, Stan wasn't greatly amused on the occasions Don managed to get them both nicked - especially the one where some jumpy D11 boys dragged them out of a van, carrying a load of hookey gear, at gunpoint at Holborn Circus.
Windermere Bore

Postby Uncle Albert » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:53 pm

What time ko.
Uncle Albert

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum