Stones 1 Chippenham Town 0

For all things Wealdstone FC

Stones 1 Chippenham Town 0

Postby megaphone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 pm

A hard fought but deserved win tonight. A sole early goal by Billy Clifford proved to be enough. We were superb in the first half and found it harder going in the second, but this is probably because Chippenham tightened up rather than us stopping playing.

Danny Green excellent again, Billy got MoM tho must have been a close call with Danny and others. Think we are second. Early days but good stuff so far.
megaphone

Re: Stones 1 Chippenham Town 0

Postby deadly » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Phew. We should have scored a hatful in the first half but did not. They had very few chances until right at the end but were kept out by an alert defence.
Stones go second, for now. Dorking will go above the Stones if they do not loose to Havant & Waterlooville tonight.

The table looks great though no one is getting carried away. Hopefully we will be there or thereabouts after 10 games when a reasoned assessment of the teams progress can be given.
So far, the management and team are doing very well. Just a little more application needed on the final ball should do it...however we do have the best goal difference in the league at the moment so even the most churlish and hard to please of our fans should be happy. 8-) 8-) 8-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/na ... outh/table
Last edited by deadly on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby 08masonl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Winning ugly for sure! Definitely a team still in development but three wins from our first four? Can't complain too much! In a tough division like this every win matters.

Young Norwich keeper looks good although sweeper keeping isn't good for the heart!
08masonl

Postby kwilks » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:14 pm

I thought that was a gritty, hard fought win at home. Much is being said about our passing game but I thought our back 5 were superb tonight, and snuffled out anything the oppo could throw at us. Connor and Jerome in particular stood out. Could this be fortress Vale again?

Clifford deservedly got MOM and is becoming a growing influence in this team, but I agree that Danny could easily have got it. His speed of running at the Chippenham defence, trickery and quick passing movements showed us the class act that he is. I believe he is revelling in the passing game that Dean is instilling in this team, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the product that we're seeing out on the pitch.

Having said this, we were guilty of wasting a lot of possession with either an awful end ball, or breaking into good positions and not playing Ross in on numerous occasions. Had we done this I reckon we could have racked up a cricket score tonight. We're going to have to be ruthless with killing teams off, because if our defence hadn't been as heroic as they were tonight, we could have easily lost the game.

Great start to the season though...well done to the management team as well as the players. Dean had the boys well drilled tonight and his tactical skills are becoming more evident with each match...
kwilks

Postby russpa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:15 pm

We are starting to look a bit more solid in the defence and middle..I thought Etefe was superb how many balls did he steal away from attackers and set up runs. Did Oxborough have a save to make i do not think so. And Clifford a midfield box to box player he got his goal a la Ryan Ashe attacking space in the box when a cross comes in.I think he has 3 bookings already but that is his game always going in for a tackle.

Connor Smith was outstanding he is getting fitter n fitter and looks a class act.
russpa

Postby attic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm

A good test passed tonight. Chippenham are no mugs and gave us a real game in the second half. Our opening goal was a lovely piece of play. Great take down and ball out wide by Lafeyette, decent ball in by Green and then an easy head home by Clifford. Our dominance in the first half though could have easily seen us three up. Smith's fierce effort cannoned off the post, onto the keeper and then somehow over the bar. Incredible really. Green saw his curling shot narrowly miss the far post and then the keeper mishandled a shot but the ball bounced just short of the line. We were playing some delightful attacking football although weren't carving out and clear cut chances. That will be something of which DB will be looking to remedy no doubt. Second half saw Chippenham come out fighting and a very even game was had. We did create the better chances though and probably should have put the game to bed. Smith seemed to lose his footing when put through on goal and Mendy had a strong pacy run towards the end but fired his shot just wide of the far post. Chippenham, for all their bluster just didn't look threatening all game. Pratty got a good reception from our fans but I think its not unfair to say he looks finished at this level. Not a patch on the player who caused us so many problems in that game nearly two years ago. Tyler also good a good ovation and has to be said he did a good job in keeping Denon fairly quite all evening.

Up to second place in convincing style with a big game at Hemel on Saturday.

What for DB to ponder? Definitely need to turn our possession into creating more clear cut chances. Plus a tad disappointed in how we didn't really dominate as I thought we might in the second half tonight. Maybe it was down to Chippenham upping their game or maybe we ran out of steam a little. Still, a works in progress and 3 wins from 4 a very good start.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby timfparks » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 pm

I’m surprised the postings have been so positive (wait for the Guv though) because I think the players will be disappointed tonight. There was solidity yes, teamwork yes and work rate yes, but little of the fluency we’d seen in the other games. Our final pass, as mentioned often let us down and the second half especially was more like last season as we failed to move the ball quickly enough into the danger areas.
A great goal though! Our two outstanding players combining with Greenie’s lovely cross and open invitation for Billy Clifford’s header. The defence were terrific with Arnold, Stevens, okimo and Efete unbeatable. For me, Connor Smith is not quite up to speed (though he had two cracking shots with one rattling the post) and Jake Sheppard must be pushing for a start; while Dennon Lewis never quite got the better of Rhys Tyler and The Mendy Mendy man is similarly poised to claim a starting place.
But who’s complaining?! These are heady days and long may they continue
timfparks

Postby The Guvnor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 pm

We started off very strongly as we seem to do these days and I doubt Chippenham could have complained too much if they'd gone in at half time 2/3 goals down. Bearing in mind we were going uphill I think that was the most dominant display I've seen going in that direction for a very long time. So we all sat back and waited for the 2nd half onslaught down the slope but it never materialised. Chippenham worked hard and shut down the spaces and forced us into rushing things a bit. We lost the control of the midfield and it all became a bit scrappy. They had decent possession in the 2nd half but never really looked like scoring and I'm pretty certain The Ox in goal didn't have a save to make all evening. The main concern for me is how we lost our grip in the midfield tonight, it was unexpected but we are still a work in progress so lets see how we look after 10 games. The positives still far outweigh the negatives but you just feel a bit of tinkering is still required.

UTS
The Guvnor

Postby Elmslie Ender » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:34 am

My first view of the new Wealdstone and thought we were excellent in the first half. Probably should have been three goals clear at the half time and was thinking that we’d really go at them second half, down the slope, attacking the Bulla. It never happened but equally for all the possession that Chips had second half, the young lad in goal didn’t have a meaningful save to make.

Crowd given as 837, certainly looked bigger than that, but can’t help but think had we played the night before, it would have been a 100 more.

Hemel have had a similar start to us, so will be a stern test. Hopefully a 300 away following packed into that top end goal as well.
Elmslie Ender

Postby charlie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 am

"Half-Time Free Harry s"... boosted the gate... Security with machine gun turret needed at top of entrance.

Mind you they missed an excellent first half which looked like a five a side training session with how to keep the ball in places.

Nothing to complain about... must surely change no ?

Yes.. How could you Guvnor... write on this forum Billy Clifford is not up to the required standard.
charlie

Next

Return to stonesnet forum