Johnny North

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Johnny North

Postby attic » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 am

You can't always pick and choose how you snuff it. Ditto how you leave a long term employer. The manner in which Northy has left is nothing unique in my opinion. Thousands of players down the years have left their clubs in similar circumstances. Its called shit happens. I suppose in an idealistic world he saves a penalty in the play off final to give us promotion and is carried off by his team mates. That would have been fitting for such a long standing servant. Sadly it rarely happens that way.

He leaves with the highest of honour though. Was a huge part of our FA trophy run in 2012. Never mind that save at Cambridge, he made a couple of worldies against Dartford too. I think my favourite Northy moment was at East Thurrock in 2014 as Stones closed in on the title. Stones were 2-0 up but totally under the cosh. Northy produced a fantastic reaction save from a header and within minutes we were 3 up. That moment for me confirmed us at title winners.

Who's he off to next I wonder? Either way good luck to him. Always welcome back at the Stones.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby charlie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am

Those two penalty saves against Bognor in the F.A.Cup which then saw the TV cameras in the First Round plus BBC match of the day show in the morning.

Thus allowing the club to earn upwards of £50k from that one victory.

Not possible without Northy.
charlie

Postby Not Happy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:09 pm

HammeredWasp wrote:I wish him well, both in life, and as a top goalkeeper, he deserves plenty of credit from ALL Stones fans (except probably 1) ;)

I'm sure the list of mistakes that he's made will be published before we know it.
Not Happy

Postby realstones » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm

You are a true legend Northy, thanks for all the memories.
realstones

Postby 61663 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:59 pm

So not quite 10 full seasons - the usual obligatory bench mark for a testimonial ... doesn't matter ... he deserves one even if he has left us.

Postby Dave Reader » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:00 pm

All the best Northy. Top bloke and top keeper...UTS
Dave Reader

Postby Renard » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:58 pm

What a moving and well written goodbye message. You'll always be welcome at the Vale, Northy.
Renard

Previous

Return to stonesnet forum