NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby Royal Blue » Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 am

From Deadly's digest on previous page -

" There will probably be some strong words at tomorrow's meeting. Most of them I think will be coming from a small number of League 1 teams (such as Peterborough) who insist on wanting to play on. This is where the battle will be I suspect rather than the bottom of League 2."

1. Surely there cannot be any EFL club who think it's feasible to play on at the mo? Only the Premiership have the resources to pull that off - due to the once in a 100 years global health crisis. Although there are signs this country is finally getting its shit together on Coronavirus, sadly football is still effectively illegal at the moment. So that won't be much of a battle imo. Some of this is about timing. A month further down the line, when UK gov have borrowed another £62.1 billion (as we did in April alone) things may ease up, have to ease up - as we are now insolvent again, after a decade of austerity too. Oh the irony if we've borrowed the £62bn from China!

2. They can also 'save' Stevenage too if they like, they just won't be able to promote. That won't be much of a battle either!

And then after all this, the NL will have to get together. Another week or so to wait it seems.

But is it 'just football'? No, not really anymore. The longer this lockdown goes on, the more we appreciate just how free we were to enjoy the things that interest us and just how necessary those little things are for our sanity/wellbeing.

I, for one, have truly had enough of it, come what may. This isn't living. The month of June is crucial because I think we'll all dig deep for another 5-6 weeks but after that?
Last edited by Royal Blue on Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Blue

Postby attic » Fri May 22, 2020 9:16 am

Royal Blue wrote:From Deadly's digest on previous page -

" There will probably be some strong words at tomorrow's meeting. Most of them I think will be coming from a small number of League 1 teams (such as Peterborough) who insist on wanting to play on. This is where the battle will be I suspect rather than the bottom of League 2."

1. Surely there cannot be any EFL club who think it's feasible to play on at the mo? Only the Premiership have the resources to pull that off - due to the once in a 100 years global health crisis. Although there are signs this country is finally getting its shit together on Coronavirus, sadly football is still effectively illegal at the moment. So that won't be much of a battle imo. Some of this is about timing. A month further down the line, when UK gov have borrowed another £62.1 billion (as we did in April alone) things may ease up, have to ease up - as we are now insolvent again, after a decade of austerity too. These decisions are needed now.

2. They can also 'save' Stevenage too if they like, they just won't be able to promote. That won't be much of a battle either!

And then after all this, the NL will have to get together. Another week or so to wait it seems.

But is it 'just football'? No, not really anymore. The longer this lockdown goes on, the more we appreciate just how free we were to enjoy the things that interest us and just how necessary those little things are for our sanity/wellbeing.

I, for one, have truly had enough of it, come what may. This isn't living. The month of June is crucial because I think we'll all dig deep for another 5-6 weeks but after that?

Lets just hope the vote doesn't end up 52 - 48% as is seems the more influential types struggle to work out which one is actually a higher number!!

By the way does anyone feel sorry for these clubs who have caved in to huge and unsustainable players wage demands??? Not at all. Should they receive any special help that any other business wouldn't receive? Not a chance. Should they be put into administration and have to suffer the consequences of their awful financial model?? Absolutely yes. Should players (who have been huge beneficiaries) of the money injected into the game toe the line and play in empty stadiums without fuss? Damn right they should. As for it being dangerous....well someones Mum, Dad, Aunty, Uncle and even Grandmother and Grandad donned insufficient PPE and marched into a highly contagious hospital or care home to do battle against CV19. They did their duty in the line of fire even though they were a lot more vulnerable in a number of ways.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Royal Blue » Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 am

"Lets just hope the vote doesn't end up 52 - 48% as is seems the more influential types struggle to work out which one is actually a higher number!!"

But surely the framework is a fait accompli? If they vote NOT to accept these detailed proposals, what then, what else is on the table that could garner the support of a majority? Nothing.
Royal Blue

Postby deadly » Fri May 22, 2020 5:18 pm

No info given out today of course, but this might be a hint of the way it will go:

From Peterborough Today article.

"Barring some unlikely pangs of conscience the Peterborough United season is over as the numbers just don’t add up, so sham promotions and unjust relegations it is.
Peterborough United’s 2019-20 fate is the hands of League One rivals with club director of football Barry Fry admitting it would take ‘a miracle’ for the Posh season to continue.

Twelve votes (51%) are required to continue or curtail the season. Remarkably given the length of this debate already the clubs have been given until 5pm Tuesday (May 26) to reflect on which way to vote and they then apparently have five days to cast that vote (if needed)! There’s also the possibility of clubs calling an EGM, if they don’t like the way it’s going or going to go.

Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony has called for all clubs to make public which way they vote."

That last sentence is probably a subtle hint of his previous threat to sue for damages all the clubs that don't vote to carry on the season lol
The bit about the possibility of an EGM will be there to cover the legal tracks, as several clubs have threatened legal action.

I presume that this protracted drawing out of the voting process is a deliberate tactic by the EFL to quell the dissenters and get a final end to the season through. Very frustrating for all, especially at NL level, but if at the end of the day we get promotion & relegation throughout the leagues, it will be worth the very extended wait.

So, the next day & time that we might get some additional info will be Tuesday, May 26th, after 5pm, but probably the next day before any official statement, although it is quite possible that we will have to wait till June the 1st for an absolute definitive statement.
Hopefully the National League committee will not take as long over it's deliberations, and of course the FA will have to approve everything.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... it-2861526

'sham promotions' I will take that any day, thanks, Mr Bitter & Twisted. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of when we played at Walton & Hersham and spent most of the evening singing Sham 69 songs, much to the locals bemusement.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT 23/05/2020

Some more info gleaned again from the Barrow forum:

I'm grateful to the Coventry City fans forum for the little I know that might have happened today but anybody that knows more or different please chip in.

It feels like the arguments raging such as they were mainly related to the L1 season and whether it should be curtailed. Essentially there was a single motion that the EFL members had to accept as a group to the effect that where there was a curtailment to the season then the outcome would be decided by unweighted PPG. This is not a one off vote but will be entered into the EFL regulations for the future. So there was no way that the EFL could force a vote in session. Regulation changes have protocols.

The clubs I believe have been told to go away and submit their votes remotely. Each Division then has to meet to take a decision whether to curtail or not and if not then confirm that they wish to play on. Play-off formats were outlined by the EFL yesterday. Now L2 has already committed to curtail their season so its a done deal. According to the Coventry City forum at least 8 L1 clubs have already declared publicly their support to end the season. So with 4 more votes L1 will come into line with L2.

My take therefore is that what we are waiting for is the motion to accept PPG being passed because as soon as it is it will be applied to L2 with promotion and relegation automatically assumed. The only issue is how long clubs have to make their votes and what the NL does whilst its waiting.

If I'm right then the L2 relegation issue is pretty much of a non-issue given that L2 unanimously voted to curtail their season last week. But it still could be a week or two before this is confirmed. And of course things can happen during that period.

Think you've just about got it spot on there SB
Strong indications coming out of Fleetwood Oxford and Portsmouth that they have all now changed their minds and will be voting to end the season on the FL terms no real surprise there as all 3 along with Wycombe are the 4 clubs who will be in the playoffs.

Which in effect means just one more vote needed for the majority to end the season on the Leagues terms [ pretty sure under the way its gone; Bolton have said there's no point them voting for anything else ]

EDIT 24/05/2020
Another League One club has declared publicly to end the season, AFC Wimbledon, or as they are known by Kingstonian fans, the Cuckoo Club.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52783024

I will repost here the link that Sarcenstone put up on the Conference South Nomads forum:

https://www.havantandwaterloovillefc.co ... al-league/

No real surprise that classless Havant have yet again put forward a 'solution' that favours no-one but themselves.
They obviously do not want to take part in any potential play-offs.

If we get promotion & relegation passed by L1 & L2, then it follows that the NL will also try to get the play-offs on at some point for all three divisions, regardless of H&W's open letter.

It may well be that for cost reasons alone, the play-offs for the North & South divisions do not get played.
However, the other clubs in the play-off zone will not be happy with Havant at all.
I for one do indeed hope that one of those other clubs get the opportunity to make Havant eat that letter.
They really haven't got a clue, as Khanna would say.

PLUS:
The timetable of events:

Tuesday 26th EFL MEETING.
EFL clubs have until the 1st of June to email in their votes

The vote needs a 51% majority (36/71) clubs
BUT out of that 36 13 of them HAVE to be championship clubs.

If the championship doesn’t vote in a 51% majority in favour of the framework the EFL put forward then it gets thrown out

The Championship clubs are expected (by newspaper polls) to approve the framework and vote to continue the season.
The L1 Clubs are split but are expected to approve the framework and the majority vote to end the season.
The L2 clubs have already voted to end the season and are now expected to vote to accept final positions to be decided on unweighted PPG and (RELUCTANTLY) accept promotion & relegation as laid out in the framework.

The FA are due to give a ruling on the National League's request to extend the season for the purpose of staging the play-offs for all three divisions sometime this week as well.

Deadly Daily Digest.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby deadly » Mon May 25, 2020 7:10 am

Monday 25/05/2020
Yet more info/speculation, each paragraph is a separate post:

The first vote is for 71 EFL clubs to accept the EFL proposal (1./ End season on PPG with playoffs and relegation OR 2./ Play all games) into the EFL regulations for this season. 51% wins.
According to the EFL Zone on Twitter, they'll give clubs 5 days notice of this vote from 27th May EFL board meeting, so clubs vote on 1st June.
Then, each division will vote on 1./ or 2./ and again 51% wins. Who knows when this vote will be. Possibly 5 days from EFL board meeting on 3rd June, so we finally find out about promotion on 8th June?!
So June 1st is shaping up to be the next important milestone date.

I can't see any way that the original proposal would be rejected which would mean the only choices for each division would be 1. or 2. It might be a close call between the 2 in the Championship but Division 1 and 2 will almost certainly both vote for 1. which it turn will mean the National League will also decide on 1.

The EFL will only relegate the bottom Club to the National League if it can kick-off at the same time, the bottom Club needs somewhere to play so if the EFL say August 8/15 is the start date the NL have to be ready behind close doors or not.
This is according to the Fylde Chairman also he has contacted all other NL chairman regarding a salary cap of about £750,000 per season.
The Boreham Wood Chairman would like a squad of only 20 players.

Not a hope in hell of football at lower levels starting in August. Pie in sky, however much we want it to happen. and I hope I am wrong. Once the relegation/promotion issue is settled (it's no wonder they are struggling to sort it) the much bigger problem of clubs towards the bottom of the pyramid maintaining financial viability will be regular news.

Deadly Daily Digest
deadly

Postby charlie » Mon May 25, 2020 9:24 am

Do you think we will be promoted charlie ?.. Do you charlie.. Do you !!

"F@@@k knows.. me old mate"

I would love to be able to rekindle that chant at Cambridge United, when they treated the squad/management so badly in the Quarter Final of the Trophy.

In the conference national it would be... "2-1 to the Tin Pot team".. "2-1 to the Tin Pot team"...." 2-1 to the Tin Pot team".

You never know charlie .You never Know... "2-1 to the Tin Pot team!! "
charlie

Postby deadly » Mon May 25, 2020 12:25 pm

charlie wrote:Do you think we will be promoted charlie ?.. Do you charlie.. Do you !!

"F@@@k knows.. me old mate"

I would love to be able to rekindle that chant at Cambridge United, when they treated the squad/management so badly in the Quarter Final of the Trophy.

In the conference national it would be... "2-1 to the Tin Pot team".. "2-1 to the Tin Pot team"...." 2-1 to the Tin Pot team".

You never know charlie .You never Know... "2-1 to the Tin Pot team!! "

And I though poor old Charlie was just another mad/rambling Wealdstone fan like myself, but according to this he is quite correct..
https://www.today.com/series/one-small- ... ns-t114420
Last edited by deadly on Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadly

Postby attic » Mon May 25, 2020 12:33 pm

I suppose the odds are highly in our favour now but there's always that act of self preservation somewhere in the food chain that could deny us. Am 95% confident there will be a two club promotion from the National to the league. More likely one will drop down into the National. However what happens at the bottom of the National is anyone's guess. That's why there's still more than a hint of doubt that our impending promotion is a certaincy.

Just as importantly though theres rumblings that crowds could be let back into stadiums at 25% capacity at some point. That would mean around 700 at the Vale maybe. Surely close to the amount of season tickets we would sell it we were to be promoted?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Mon May 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Admittedly its a Bank holiday today but people aren't even trying to be sneaky anymore with their social gatherings. I suspect the weekend shenanigans with Boris and his cronies was the final straw and lockdown is now unofficially over. Once the Government realise that I suspect things will move along fairly quickly, pending any dramatic change in the virus curve.

I'll go for September now as the start date, although there will probably be some sort of crowd restrictions in place.

Even more reason for the NL to get there backsides into gear now as clubs need to start planning for next season.
The Guvnor

Postby BillyByrneFan » Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm

So, Tippy Hedren lives with 13 or 14 big cats eh? Not surprising with her fear of birds.
BillyByrneFan

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum