Stones 4 - Wrexham 3

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 4 - Wrexham 3

Postby attic » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:03 pm

worruz wrote:
Royal Blue wrote:
Well, if Phillips is injured and there's no money or a loan move - Cawley must surely have his chance. DB signed him as cover/replacement after all.

Yes, exactly, he has to be given a chance.

I recall Alex Dyer and Billy Clifford getting stick from some quarters before they'd played even 5 games for us.

Cawley was signed as a big physical centre half from Concord Rangers tipped to be able to step up a level. I guess he'll start on Tuesday so we'll see what he's made of over 90 minutes. Stevens has been out for over a month now so we really need to look at replacing him in the short term at least. We have no idea as to what training he's doing and whether he can come straight back into the team once his injury has cleared up anyway. At the moment I believe outscoring teams is probably by far our best approach. However we'll have to tighten up over the long haul though. Sooner or later and it happened last season the goals will dry up for a period so you better be getting some clean sheets.

Would have been great to have re signed someone like Alan Massey who would bring some real kick arse to our back line. It was he who spoke of the 'relentless' nature of this division. There are absolutely no games where opponents will allow you any time to breath so you need to be able to perform to a high standard and tempo over the entire season.

I've no problems with Benyu. He's shown enough in fits and spurts to suggest there is an excellent player there. Again....when you don't have a proper pre season its gonna take you 4-5 league games to really get up and running.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby BillyByrneFan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:55 pm

worruz wrote:
Royal Blue wrote:
Well, if Phillips is injured and there's no money or a loan move - Cawley must surely have his chance. DB signed him as cover/replacement after all.

I recall Alex Dyer and Billy Clifford getting stick from some quarters before they'd played even 5 games for us.

I can remember being near the old tea bar where the Holywell is now and hearing, "who's that idiot wearing a blue shirt, pretending he's a Wealdstone player?" Whoever it was, they were talking about Dyer, I think it was only his 3rd game. I wonder if they changed their mind?
BillyByrneFan

Postby Royal Blue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:42 pm

BillyByrneFan wrote:
worruz wrote:
Royal Blue wrote:

I can remember being near the old tea bar where the Holywell is now and hearing, "who's that idiot wearing a blue shirt, pretending he's a Wealdstone player?" Whoever it was, they were talking about Dyer, I think it was only his 3rd game. I wonder if they changed their mind?

That's a great story about Dyer. I think he looks class.

There was a notable moment vs Wrexham where Cawley ( I think Cawley) headed the ball whilst on the ground. It was a remarkable challenge. DB also said he would rotate on Tues so he's bound to start. Unless we recall Gafaiti from HandY?
Royal Blue

Postby Ronnie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:46 pm

There's loads like that. Roy Marshall had a stinker of a debut that got a few tongues going. Maybe had Ben Hodson been given a run.....
Ronnie

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:04 am

Just watched the highlights and rather than go into one I'd rather someone else gave their opinion on what Wakefield was doing with their first goal. Not impressed.
The Guvnor

Postby Chap Stone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:59 am

DB stated in his interview that he’ll take the blame for their second goal (I think Robin Wainwright accurately summed up Jerome’s error for the first), as he had encouraged the team to play out from the back. I think that was what Wakefield was trying to do...

Edit: I just had another look - you’re right, what was he trying to do just before the first goal? I think he was ‘doing a Pickford’ :shock:
Chap Stone

Postby hillsy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:08 am

Seemed like a good press, recognised that the full back took a heavy touch but rather than taking the ball (and player) he rather pussyfoots around it. Powderpuff quite frankly. But we still have to defend it. Jerome's reliance on his left peg cost us as much as Wakefield's non-tackle. You could also question whether Isted should have done better, though I acknowledge he'll not have been expecting what he saw.
hillsy

Postby hillsy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:10 am

The Guvnor wrote:Just watched the highlights and rather than go into one I'd rather someone else gave their opinion on what Wakefield was doing with their first goal. Not impressed.

I assume you actually meant their second goal?
hillsy

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:18 am

hillsy wrote:I assume you actually meant their second goal?

No, I could work that one out just poor protection of the ball.

I'm referring to the challenge he pulled out of prior to the cross coming in for the first goal.

I won't even repeat on here what I thought of it.
The Guvnor

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:40 am

hillsy wrote:Seemed like a good press, recognised that the full back took a heavy touch but rather than taking the ball (and player) he rather pussyfoots around it. Powderpuff quite frankly. But we still have to defend it. Jerome's reliance on his left peg cost us as much as Wakefield's non-tackle. You could also question whether Isted should have done better, though I acknowledge he'll not have been expecting what he saw.

Yes, Jerome got it badly wrong but a player making an honest mistake happens. You've played enough football to know what went on with that challenge or non challenge and that you cant excuse. DB did take the blame for the 2nd but he told players to be brave, didn't say anything about being reckless. And while we're talking about the 2nd goal I don't think Wakefield exactly covered himself in glory in trying to keep the ball out of the net either. I don't care what level we are playing at 8 goals conceded in 2 games is very poor, every goal we let in has to hurt and I'm not sure that it does.
The Guvnor

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum