Stones 3 Sutton 3

For all things Wealdstone FC

Stones 3 Sutton 3

Postby charlie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Hats off to the mighty mighty Stones.

Said they might get a tonking but failed to say for 45 minutes.

Harvey Isted did an Ox for the Ambers second goal then performed heroics in Goal!

Great Fight back ..
charlie

Re: Stones 3 Sutton 3

Postby BillyByrneFan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Only followed on Twitter but that was something, wasn't it!!! Seconds away from ending the day in 2nd place and I hear the ref went well over the 4 added.
BillyByrneFan

Postby DoubleU » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 pm

We would have all taken that at half time.. but still gutted to concede so late, basically the last kick.

Should have blown just as the corner was taken... But then that never happens ...

UTS
DoubleU

Postby TalkinStone » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:39 pm

Well what a rollercoaster. Devastating not to win after being ahead deep in injury time but a second half where every player in our side takes credit.

I’m sure there’ll be views on the starting line up and at half time it was looking like the change at the back had backfired. 10 games in and pretty much everyone in this squad has contributed something to being where we are.

The players from last season have pretty much all stepped up even if I think some have got more to offer than we’ve seen so far.

Of the new lads.

Cawley has done pretty well and been needed more than expected with Connnor’s injury.
Alex Dyer is quality and great to have him back.
I’m a Benyu fan and think he made a difference today even though some passes were sloppy and he’s got to work harder defensively
Parish has done great and looked decent today too.
Slew not really got started but has chipped in with a goal.
Wakefield, has pace to burn and has also chipped in with a goal.
Wishart not really needed to date and Hughes needs games away from us to get minutes.

Another two tough ones coming up but with this side you just never know.

Well done to Dean and Stuart, a long way to go and I’m sure we’d like to strengthen where we can but everyone at the club should be proud of how we’ve stepped up.
TalkinStone

Postby timfparks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 pm

What an absolute stonker! Probably the best National League game shown live on BT and it really did have everything... some of the goalmouth scrambles were like something in a playground and we rode our luck so often after that desperate second goal that it seemed we had a force field behind haphazard Harry. He made some incredible saves though and no one, no one can be unhappy with a point after the dizzying heights and gloomy lows of that humdinger of a game. Our opening five league games at the Vale have finished 2-5, 4-3, 3-2, 1-0 and 3-3. Over five goals a game! Imagine the scenes if we’d had crowds in .... and imagine the size of the crowds!
timfparks

Postby StoneBroke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Agree that it was a fabulous game and all credit for getting something out of the game. But I think others are being a bit generous towards Harry Isted. He had a nightmare first half, as did the defence. We are so frail at the back and our goal scoring exploits are papering over it. It was only a matter of time before Isted got caught out delaying his clearances to the last moment. He has had me reaching for the cushions countless times this season. In addition to poor clearances and charging out of his goal needlessly. I want him to,succeed, of course I do, but I don’t think he is at the moment.
StoneBroke

Postby attic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:30 pm

A classic tale of two halves. Stones seemed stuck in their shells in the first half. Mistakes, gifted possession in dangerous places and were lucky not to be 4 or 5 down at half time. Sutton played the predictable pressing game and we just didn't seem to be able to cope. All three forwards just isolated and the midfield not getting a look in. The forced substitution midway through the first half helped in our favour. Benyu struggled to start with but gave a hint that things may improve in the second half. Just adds that bit of thrust going forwards. Second half totally different going down the hill. Getting the early goal was vital. This seemed to lift the team and the game became very even. Up popped RLF to fire home our equaliser and Sutton did seem rattled after this. From here we were excellent and then grabbed what looked like an unlikely winner. Sutton literally scored with the last kick of the game. Annoying to concede so late but I don't think anyone can have any complaints about the result.

Overall we've done pretty damn good so far. Most players have contributed something and you can't deny there seems to be a good team spirit about the place. However I'm sure DB will be very eager to improve where he can and he won't be resting on any laurels at all. He will be looking repair the cracks and will be ruthless in doing so.

My photos available at:

https://atticsnaps.smugmug.com/Wealdstone-FC-2020-2021/Wealdstone-V-Sutton-21112020/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Ronnie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:15 am

Cracking entertainment after painful 1st half, hats off to everyone and glad we showed the TV audience a bit of what we are about.

My pics are also now on line:

https://eglitephotos.smugmug.com/2020-2 ... Sutton-Utd
Ronnie

Postby 08masonl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:35 am

Amazing fight back and credit to the team for having the desire and the belief to get back into the game

Gutted to concede on the last kick of the game

Don't want to pick out any players because they all deserve credit but it's disappointing that Okimo didn't jump on their last corner.
08masonl

Postby warren » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:44 am

a real game of 2 half's
the slope helped us 2nd half

a more clinical team would have had the game over at HT.

We were exposed at the back. Badly miss Stevens at the back. At this level we cant play 2 Wingers as FB and a MF player at CB. it will expose our GK and in this half it showed.

The 2nd half was the team we know. i think the injury helped us get to a better formation. Have to say Benyu played well. im not sure we can keep playing Green & Smith. The player im worried about is Lewis. Apart from a 20 min spell this season he hasnt turned up just yet. Great hold up play from Ross if only he was a few years younger and could play every game but we need to manage this. Heartbreaking at the end but a great sign of what this team can do.

Onto the big game we all wanted to go to lets show the team togetherness and upset anther team
warren

Next

Return to stonesnet forum