FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby BillyByrneFan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:58 pm

So, Matt McClure and Keanu Marsh-Brown eh? If all their forwards have all gone with the manager, they've replaced well.
BillyByrneFan
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:09 am

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby TalkinStone » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm

Suspect they’ll be a decent side with a decent budget. We can’t afford not to take it seriously either financially or because a win is a win and another defeat would further damage morale.

Still being in the Trophy might also be a small added sell when trying to bring players in during January.

League is priority but with the risk of cancellations from weather and covid, and only having played twice since the Eastleigh game this isn’t one to de-prioritise even though Tuesday v Dover is the bigger game.
TalkinStone
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:48 am

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby attic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 pm

TalkinStone wrote:Suspect they’ll be a decent side with a decent budget. We can’t afford not to take it seriously either financially or because a win is a win and another defeat would further damage morale.

Still being in the Trophy might also be a small added sell when trying to bring players in during January.

League is priority but with the risk of cancellations from weather and covid, and only having played twice since the Eastleigh game this isn’t one to de-prioritise even though Tuesday v Dover is the bigger game.


We've a history of relatively low key Cup games being the turning point for performances. This won't be an easy game in the same way that Hayes at home wasn't an easy game. However its up to us to come out with the right attitude and win the game. As you said....Dover is the more important of the two and almost a 'must win' given our current slide. However our home form is still pretty decent overall and am expecting us to win both.

Hopefully these much promised loans will be forthcoming sooner than later. Appreciate you don't just want to sign anyone who can wear a pair of boots but we need to concentrate on now as points earned now are invaluable in a PPG scenario.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
User avatar
attic
 
Posts: 8531
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby FGW » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 pm

Anyone know if the club plans offering an online 'vitual' Match Ticket at £10 a pop for Saturday?
FGW
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby deadly » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 pm

FGW wrote:Anyone know if the club plans offering an online 'vitual' Match Ticket at £10 a pop for Saturday?


Here you go....
https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/live-stream
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
User avatar
deadly
 
Posts: 3512
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby FGW » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:34 pm

deadly wrote:
FGW wrote:Anyone know if the club plans offering an online 'vitual' Match Ticket at £10 a pop for Saturday?


Here you go....
https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/live-stream



My post was intended to see if the club were minded to offer something different than the same old....

I guess the club is likely to be on its arse at the moment re cash flow, so in addition to the Match Streaming (£7.99?) + Match Programme (on-line or snail mail delivery) deals why not offer a 'virtual' Match ticket which allows individuals the opportunity to make a purchase (and print their own ticket if they wish). The means to do so is in place and proven to work, the costs are negligible...
FGW
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Having now seen the extended highlights of Saturdays horror show we are even worse than I thought. To address the balance a bit we are still nowhere near full strength ( why are our injured players out for so long? ) we'd just come off an enforced break for Covid which has to impact part time clubs harder and a long journey done on the day of the game which is never ideal. But even taking that into account we looked a shambles. And if Mendy has any sense he'll get away ASAP.
The Guvnor
 
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby timfparks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:31 pm

Well that’s very helpful Guv.
Now, onto more practical ways we can help the club... yes, I think everybody knows by now about the Stones printed programme and the online version (the same terrific product in either format) and that you can buy both through the Megastore. What better accompaniment to watching the game via the live stream where Saturday’s guest pundit is former Stones legend Fergus Moore, who is very opinionated and lively company. That kicks off at 2.45 so if you want a bit of chat and banter don’t tune in too late.
As for our chances? Gloucester are clearly a dangerous side with Matt McClure, Jordan Young and Bernard Mensah all capable of upsetting any defence . They lost their skipper Liam Daly to Barnet this week but he’s a bit of a cart horse and I would have fancied us to expose him... nevertheless Alex Dyer and Jack Cawley are apparently both available and it’ll give Dean a bit of a conundrum in midfield. Kouogun deserves a chance, probably with Jerome alongside him so Michael Phillips might well be preferred as the midfield shield ... but replacing who? Connor smith had one slip that led indirectly to the crucial Hartlepool 2nd goal but he was otherwise our MoM IMO. Greenie was good too. If anything, Jacob Mendy was the least effective in a left-mid role and it wasn’t until we pushed him inside on Saturday that he threatened.
Will he back as a No3? Will jerome move there to facilitate a Kuogon- Cawley partnership? I’d say too risky.
With Danny Parish and (probably) Ross still sidelined I think we’ll see Moses on his own with maybe Jorome Slew and Dennon either side of him. Gloucester are a traditional big-boned four at the back and we should get amongst them, especially with Dyer providing the ammunition.
So who misses out? Matt lench was disappointing for me at Hartlepool and I think he’ll back on the bench.
My team: Moore
Efete, Kuogon, Okimo, Mendy
Phillips, smith, Dyer, Green
Lewis, Emmanuel.
Bench: Lench, Benyu, slew, askew, Cawley

That line up allows Efete to get much further up the pitch with the insurance of phillips and Smith protecting the back line. Greenie and Alex can roam as No10s and hopefully get Dennon and Mo Mo in behind the tigers defence. And if they don’t you have Benyu (who looked hungry at Pool) and Slew ready to be thrown in.
I like the look of that side as long as they don’t step on each others toes... Mendy Mendy and Efete are deadly when they have clear space ahead of them (Efete particularly seems to be choking his runs when he has a wide man in his space) so we have to play with real pace and power. It could be a good one.
timfparks
 
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 am

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby timfparks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:40 pm

When mentioning the Hartlepool game, by the way, I was very critical of how we stood off them in the first half but you have to admit that they are probably the slickest passing team we’ve played this season. It was the perfect storm, what with the stones off the pace due to the lack of training and eight injuries, and we were just horribly exposed. It could have been three or four at half time, much like the Sutton home game, yet (and I know Pool had taken their collective feet off the gas) we hit the woodwork four times in the second half and had three other presentable chances. It could have been Eastleigh all over again.
It’s been a barmy last four months all round. If we can keep it tight in the manner of the the Altrincham and Weymouth games I think we’ll squeeze through this one.
timfparks
 
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 am

Re: FA Trophy 4th Round Gloucester City Home

Postby Stoney Ground » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:04 pm

timfparks wrote:When mentioning the Hartlepool game, by the way, I was very critical of how we stood off them in the first half but you have to admit that they are probably the slickest passing team we’ve played this season. It was the perfect storm, what with the stones off the pace due to the lack of training and eight injuries, and we were just horribly exposed. It could have been three or four at half time, much like the Sutton home game, yet (and I know Pool had taken their collective feet off the gas) we hit the woodwork four times in the second half and had three other presentable chances. It could have been Eastleigh all over again.
It’s been a barmy last four months all round. If we can keep it tight in the manner of the the Altrincham and Weymouth games I think we’ll squeeze through this one.


I’d prefer to see us play 3-4-1-2

With Moore
Kouogon, Okimo, Cawley
Efette, Phillips, Smith, Mendy
Dyer
Emmanuel, Lewis

We seemed to change to that shape late on at Hartlepool and I think it allows the ‘full backs’ the ability to get forward better.
Stoney Ground
 
Posts: 2487
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:01 am

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lanarkian and 48 guests