Southport

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Southport

Postby attic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Let them underestimate us. Did Barrow and Cambridge a lot of good didn't it? I'm not going to include Dartford with those. I believe they actually took us seriously but we simply played out of our skins over the two games.

Difference is then though, is that we had a back line that was extremely solid and a keeper on top of his game. North, Hammond, Cronin, Parker and Massey were as good as you were going to get at our level. Midfield on paper wasn't all that. Brooks, Smith, O'leary and Chappell doesn't set the World on fire. However, they were cohesive, ran their socks off and didn't pull out of anything. Up front obviously Jolly was on fire with Dean to do the hard yards.

No doubt footballing ability wise our present side wins hands down over the class of 2012. However, we're suspect at the back on a number of counts and the midfield is erratic to say the least. I simply can't see this side out fighting a team from the higher level like the boys of 2012 did, but if we put our minds to it we could out play them. Do we leave Benyon up front on his own again? Not sure if its doing him any good. Worried all the running he's done may be burning him out a bit.

I'll still say this side has yet to really win the fans over.....but the chance to do so could come this Saturday. Come on lads, its time to start kicking some arse.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby timfparks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 pm

I think it's time we started to pick GB's side. Although TBH there's not much room for manoeuvre with the valiant Hunt suspended, Ciaron injured and Tom Hamblin probably off the pace. I think we might well see Super Wesley Parker coming in alongside Liam Goulding in the middle, with Eddie on the right and Ryheem on the left. Midfield will be new skip Sam Cox with Ell Gods for insurance, Wellard and Green being creative (hopefully happy to get wide) and Benyon up top with Matty Whichelow hopefully over his bug and available. Otherwise no doubt Wrighty will fill in.
Cox and Godfrey are intelligent and experienced enough to drop back if Sheckleford or Oshodi want to get forward. That could be the key for us: Take the game to Southport up the flanks and we have a puncher's chance.
timfparks

Postby Elmslie Ender » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:29 am

timfparks wrote:I think it's time we started to pick GB's side. Although TBH there's not much room for manoeuvre with the valiant Hunt suspended, Ciaron injured and Tom Hamblin probably off the pace. I think we might well see Super Wesley Parker coming in alongside Liam Goulding in the middle, with Eddie on the right and Ryheem on the left. Midfield will be new skip Sam Cox with Ell Gods for insurance, Wellard and Green being creative (hopefully happy to get wide) and Benyon up top with Matty Whichelow hopefully over his bug and available. Otherwise no doubt Wrighty will fill in.
Cox and Godfrey are intelligent and experienced enough to drop back if Sheckleford or Oshodi want to get forward. That could be the key for us: Take the game to Southport up the flanks and we have a puncher's chance.

Wouldn't disagree with that Tim. Only whether Hamblin plays ahead of Parker, as he has played even less football than Hamblin.

Manvila, Wright, Koroma, Hamblin/Parker and McGleish (or sub keeper) on the bench.
Elmslie Ender

Postby charlie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:21 am

Team just announced.

North.Sheckleford. Cox.Oshodi.Goulding.Godfrey.Wellard.Green.Benyon.Whichelow.Mavila.

All the old men on the bench.
charlie

Postby PA peter j-b » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:23 am

charlie wrote:Team just announced.

North.Sheckleford. Cox.Oshodi.Goulding.Godfrey.Wellard.Green.Benyon.Whichelow.Mavila.

All the old men on the bench.

For the life of me I cant work out what formation that team would play

:lol:

Maybe 3-5-2 but with Sheckleford as one of the three centre backs could be risky unless you play Godfrey at the back and Sheckleford as a wing back.

Funnily enough I've often thought I'd like to see us play 3-5-2 but more with this line up

North
Oshodi, Goulding, Hamblin/Parker
Sheckleford, Godfrey, Wellard, Cox, Whichelow
Green,
Benyon

Wellard and Green interchangeable.

Tell the wing backs to really bomb on whenever they can.
Wright to come on with 20 to go for Green to ruffle a few of their feathers.

It's never going to happen but may be fun to watch.
Can we not knock it?
PA peter j-b

Postby attic » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:41 am

One thing I'd say about Parker is that he's often very quick to integrate back into the side. He's been out for prolonged periods before but he's never looked rusty when he's returned to the team. The usage of Hamblin has been bewildering. He's definitely a player who needs a little more time to re-integrate, but sitting him on the bench when he clearly needs match practice is anyone's guess. Had Hamblin started last week, I'd have no hesitation in starting with him at Southport. So I'd probably go with Parker if he's available and get Hamblin out on loan asap.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Hamblin is a cause for concern as he's clearly not right. He played 45 at Wingate and looked poor, well off the pace, and has been on the bench pretty much ever since. The only time he's come on was at Maidenhead where GB had very little choice and he managed to get about an hour under his belt. Cant remember a great deal about how he played but i'm sure Marks stole a yard on him at the near post for the 2nd goal, but i stand to be corrected on that on. Either way the fact GB preferred Hunt to him last weekend speaks volumes. Hamblin needs games but for whatever reason GB seems loathe to give him that game time at the moment.
The Guvnor

Postby Curtis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 pm

If Ciaran Brown is fit he will start at left back so Charlie needs to drop someone from his starting eleven
I reckon it will be Mavilla who will be on the bench alongside Wright,Koroma,Parker and Hamblin
Curtis

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Omit Johnny Wright at our peril!
Ronnie

Postby attic » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Is Wright even fit?
attic

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum