World Cup 2018

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby worruz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Why was it ever not safe to come on this thread? It was a thread about the world Cup.

Anyone could have commented on any game, team, player, manager, VAR (that's calmed down since the group stage, funny that), any aspect of the tournament.
worruz

Postby BillyByrneFan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 pm

worruz wrote:Can't wait for the Croatia away match.

https://www.90min.com/posts/5964172-england-to-play-behind-closed-doors-in-nations-league-away-game-against-croatia

There have had some proper cvnts over here in Moscow. Not many, only a few but they have not been nice people at all. Ive said it before and I'll say it again I genuinely hate the human race. I prefer dogs and cats. They don't judge. I'm stuck here until early Monday as well and more of them will arrive as Sunday approaches.

Anyway, what a tournament it has been. Fair play to Russia. They pulled it out the bag. I'm pleased I came.

Stay safe Pete.
BillyByrneFan

Postby megaphone » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:38 pm

I can't help but feel that was an opportunity lost to reach the final, and though France would have been extremely tough to beat they are not unbeatable. That said, for once, the England team can come home with their heads held high. The country has reconnected with the pampered millionaires they fell out of love with two years ago. Huge credit goes to Gareth Southgate, not only for reaching the semi final but also for the way he has conducted himself throughout. I just watched a video of him emerging from the tunnel 70 minutes after the game finished to salute the fans who had been singing his name. How many times has that happened after a big game has been lost? (Probably never). Sadly it was one game too many for some of the players but that is an observation and not a criticism. They still deserve credit for giving it a go and restoring some pride into the three lions badge.
megaphone

Postby worruz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm

BillyByrneFan wrote:

https://www.90min.com/posts/5964172-england-to-play-behind-closed-doors-in-nations-league-away-game-against-croatia

There have had some proper cvnts over here in Moscow. Not many, only a few but they have not been nice people at all. Ive said it before and I'll say it again I genuinely hate the human race. I prefer dogs and cats. They don't judge. I'm stuck here until early Monday as well and more of them will arrive as Sunday approaches.

Anyway, what a tournament it has been. Fair play to Russia. They pulled it out the bag. I'm pleased I came.

Stay safe Pete.

Thanks, although I've never felt unsafe as such at any stage so far. There are so many police and what look like army about it's been ok.

Just a few knobs about on Tuesday and yesterday. No problems today. Met Darren Gough today actually. He's off home tomorrow morning.
worruz

Postby Stoney Ground » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm

worruz wrote:
BillyByrneFan wrote:

Stay safe Pete.

Thanks, although I've never felt unsafe as such at any stage so far. There are so many police and what look like army about it's been ok.

Just a few knobs about on Tuesday and yesterday. No problems today. Met Darren Gough today actually. He's off home tomorrow morning.

Did you tell him he looked like Guvnor.

Lee showed me your interview that is on WFC Facebook page but don’t do that old people’s media, need a link on here.

Stay safe and enjoy.
Stoney Ground

Postby Rotorstone » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 am

If you've a bit of time on your hands Pete, have you visited The Museum of the Great Patriotic War?
Rotorstone

Postby The Guvnor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:33 am

Stoney Ground wrote:Did you tell him he looked like Guvnor.

He used to but he's let himself go a bit.
The Guvnor

Postby GingerGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 am

[Croatia] have had some proper cvnts over here in Moscow. Not many, only a few but they have not been nice people at all

A bunch of fascists, like their fathers and grandfathers before them...
GingerGuy

Postby attic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am

GingerGuy wrote:
[Croatia] have had some proper cvnts over here in Moscow. Not many, only a few but they have not been nice people at all

A bunch of fascists, like their fathers and grandfathers before them...

A member of the EU. So no surprise there ;)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Rayners Blue is Back » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Bananas wrote:
England went into this World Cup as a team you'd expect to make the Quarter Finals, certainly looking at their group. Anything beyond that should be viewed as a bonus. They went a round further than they should have done, so that has to be viewed as a success. Expecting to get to the final, or even win it was being very optimistic. The ground work has been done this campaign for the next two tournaments, and with a young squad and a manager that seems to be getting them to punch above their weight, the future can only look bright.
Come the next Euros they'll still probably only be a quarter final team - the standard of the teams in the Euros being generally higher that the World Cup, but 2022 they should be knocking on the door of the semis, that's when you can realistically start thinking about winning it as being viable.

Well that's my opinion as a neutral for what it's worth.

Must admit, my pre-Tournament betting was England to reach the Quarter-Finals! Also did three bets on Tournament winners, Brazil at 4/1(very poor in this tournament); Belgium as my outsider at 11/1 and well, had to do England as my heart bet at 18/1!! After the group stages I added a Belgium v England Final bet, my pre-tournament one had been Brazil v Germany! So going into the Semis! I was hoping on a win/win with the both of my backed teams competing for a Final place! Perhaps my betting, scuppered both countries chances, as they both went out at the Semi! :cry:
Rayners Blue is Back

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum