Southport

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Southport

Postby timfparks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm

As if Charlie knows the team!
His pretend line up throws Mavila into the mix though, and he can play as a left wing back. Interesting prospect to play him and sheckleford as attacking wingbacks, with three at the back (Eddie, Wes and Liam) and cox, wellard and godfrey a tight middle three and Green/Whichelow and Benyon ahead of them.
But... GB is conservative and won't budge from a 4-4-2, or 4 4 1 1. Sorry Ronnie but Wrighty won't play unless southport are a team of giants.
timfparks

Postby attic » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:41 pm

timfparks wrote:As if Charlie knows the team!
His pretend line up throws Mavila into the mix though, and he can play as a left wing back. Interesting prospect to play him and sheckleford as attacking wingbacks, with three at the back (Eddie, Wes and Liam) and cox, wellard and godfrey a tight middle three and Green/Whichelow and Benyon ahead of them.
But... GB is conservative and won't budge from a 4-4-2, or 4 4 1 1. Sorry Ronnie but Wrighty won't play unless southport are a team of giants.

I've suggested 'wing backs' this season. We played for around 11 seasons with 5-3-2 didn't we? Sheckleford would be ideal as a wing back, but I'm not sure if we have anyone who can play on the left as a wing back. Brown? Too slow even if he can sometimes knock in a decent ball. Mavilla? Not proven as an attacking player let along being able to defend too. Ironic that last season's left back Dale Binns would have made for an excellent wing back.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby russpa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:46 pm

attic wrote:

I've suggested 'wing backs' this season. We played for around 11 seasons with 5-3-2 didn't we? Sheckleford would be ideal as a wing back, but I'm not sure if we have anyone who can play on the left as a wing back. Brown? Too slow even if he can sometimes knock in a decent ball. Mavilla? Not proven as an attacking player let along being able to defend too. Ironic that last season's left back Dale Binns would have made for an excellent wing back.

What happened to Binns he went to Hendon then after august disapeared
russpa

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Any team is a team of giants when they get a set piece in our half. Exclude Wright at our peril.....
Ronnie

Postby BillyByrneFan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Dale Binns knees packed in.
BillyByrneFan

Postby PA peter j-b » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:44 pm

attic wrote:

I reckon Whichelow could play as a wing back. I'd prefer him there to Mavilla who I wouldn't trust defensively.

Whichelow is strong, can travel and I think could be disciplined enough to defend when needed.
It's not going to happen anyway so pointless speculating about it.
Can we not knock it?
PA peter j-b

Postby Ally » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:18 pm

Lanarkian wrote:At least the weather should be OK. Saturday is the only day in the near future that does not have a weather alert.

Southport pier has a webcam so you can see there isn't snow there
Ally

Postby attic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:17 pm

On the suburban train from Liverpool to Southport. Let's just say the surroundings and some of the inhabitants make some of those dubious London inner suburban services look like luxury travel!!
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby PA peter j-b » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:43 pm

attic wrote:On the suburban train from Liverpool to Southport. Let's just say the surroundings and some of the inhabitants make some of those dubious London inner suburban services look like luxury travel!!

Not like you to look down on people Attic

:lol:
Can we not knock it?
PA peter j-b

Postby PA peter j-b » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:30 pm

F me this week has dragged.

Finally on the way home but to be honest I've been mentally off work for hours

:D
Can we not knock it?
PA peter j-b

PreviousNext