Should STONES be in the "Top 20" non league clubs.

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Should STONES be in the "Top 20" non league clubs.

Postby The Guvnor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm

I think its safe to say that if our current level of investment in the team is maintained and BW continues to do his stuff then we are going to get there in the near future.

Of course the Conference has changed enormously from when we last played in it and in many ways we'd be small fry, but looking at some of the clubs in there at the moment then yes no reason why we shouldn't hold our own.

I also don't think its going to be too long before we are full time on the playing front, we already have a full time manager and our budget could already sustain a decent squad on a full time basis.

I would think money is going to have to be spent on the ground too. With a new short term lease it may seem pointless but I don't get the impression we are taking our foot off the gas on the playing side so spending on the ground has to happen alongside that.
The Guvnor

Postby grim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 pm

megaphone wrote:For all those boom and bust teams mentioned, there are other more successful examples of traditional non league sides now in the league.

Cambridge United, Wigan Athletic, Wimbledon/ AFC Wimbledon, the PEPF magpies, Wycombe Wanderers, Cheltenham Town, Yeovil Town, Burton Albion, Fleetwood Town etc who DID invest and progress. I'm not suggesting I particularly want to be in the FL but those didn't do too badly after money was put in.

Accrington? How did that happen?
grim

Postby GingerGuy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:44 am

Of course, if you've got the cash, there are worse ways to flush it down the toilet than on building a football club

"Of course, if you've got the cash, there are worse ways to launder it than building a football club". Fixed that for you.
[cough] certain Essex clubs [cough]
GingerGuy

Previous

Return to stonesnet forum