Should STONES be in the "Top 20" non league clubs.

For all things Wealdstone FC

Should STONES be in the "Top 20" non league clubs.

Postby charlie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Now we have a change of direction. Why not.

The club has a fantastic pedigree , the raider has also put the club back on the map .

Can we deliver on the pitch to get into that elite group,

There are some big names trying to achieve just that Stockport/Darlington/Hereford .

Some fans are concerned about investment levels. WHY ? You will not progress unless you gamble.

The Bartlett era served the club well in its re birth period ,now we moved on.

We await" press officers" famous announcements of a new" tiddlywinks promotion" coming soon.
charlie

Re: Should STONES be in the "Top 20" non league clubs.

Postby deadly » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:49 pm

I think we have quite a way to go before you can say we are in the top twenty of non-league clubs, no matter what criteria you are using.
Attendance figures?
We are currently ranked as 41...but if Wealdstone can get into the play-off zone and stay there, then I would hope that that position would improve.
Get promotion and keep out of the relegation zone then, like Maidenhead or Bromley who have doubled their gates since achieving promotion, the yes.
Note that success in the conference National does not automatically mean bigger gates...look at Boreham wood and Gateshead.

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/

We certainly have the potential though, and with continuing investment and progress, I think we could well be on the cusp of success, however it is defined.

A good run in the FA Trophy would certainly help... :D :D :D

Fingers Crossed.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby attic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:02 pm

When I started supporting Wealdstone we were a tier one non league club. And until we're back there I will whine, sulk and expect better.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby abuzza » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Some fans are concerned about investment levels. WHY ? You will not progress unless you gamble.

The word 'investment' implies there is a financial return to be had. The word 'gamble' suggests there's a chance of a financial return. That might be true if you're a Glazer investing in Man U. At our level putting money into a football club is more akin to flushing your cash down the toilet, especially if it goes on players' wages.

Of course, if you've got the cash, there are worse ways to flush it down the toilet than on building a football club. The 'concern' is that we've all seen where this can lead. Farnborough, Salisbury, Hornchurch, AFC Billericay (What, not happened yet? It will.) etc. etc. Oh yes, Wealdstone too.

Most of us are cautiously optimistic that Mr. Marsden is in it for the right reasons and for the long haul, and won't drag us to the top of the mountain before stealing our skis. But for those of us who supported the Stones through boom and bust before, forgive our caution, once is enough.
abuzza

Postby sausagesandwich » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 pm

attic wrote:When I started supporting Wealdstone we were a tier one non league club. And until we're back there I will whine, sulk and expect better.

My first game at Lower Mead was just before the winning of promotion to the Southern Premier. And at that time there were two other "top" non-league leagues so we were in a pool of some 60-70 clubs. And we still are.
Not a lot of long-term progress to be sure but given the awful history of the 1990s, not too bad either. I'm not complaining so long as we do well in the NLS.
sausagesandwich

Postby attic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:51 pm

abuzza wrote: The 'concern' is that we've all seen where this can lead. Farnborough, Salisbury, Hornchurch, AFC Billericay (What, not happened yet? It will.) etc. etc. Oh yes, Wealdstone too.

Salisbury = came from nothing, enjoyed temporary success, back to where they came from.
Hornchurch = Obviously a classic example of boom and bust. Had to reform although you could say the 'new' club is doing better than the old club did pre splashcash.
Billericay = Generally been a level 3 club?? Interesting to see where they end up.
Farnborough = came from semi something, enjoyed temporary success, back to semi something.

Have the above clubs really fallen that hard? If anything they just went back to where they belong. AFC Hornchurch obviously are a new club, but they seem to be doing okay and attracting more fans than the 50 odd that they used to prior splashcash.

Whilst we need to be wary of the worst case scenario, we can't let it get in the way of progress. There's actually a fair amount of logic for remaining at this level. Its 'proper' non league, has decent away days, its sustainable etc etc. But if you stand still then you will only go one way.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby megaphone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 pm

For all those boom and bust teams mentioned, there are other more successful examples of traditional non league sides now in the league.

Cambridge United, Wigan Athletic, Wimbledon/ AFC Wimbledon, the PEPF magpies, Wycombe Wanderers, Cheltenham Town, Yeovil Town, Burton Albion, Fleetwood Town etc who DID invest and progress. I'm not suggesting I particularly want to be in the FL but those didn't do too badly after money was put in.
megaphone

Postby mickeygee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Ambition can lead either way - there have been plenty of successes too, driven by money or sheer commitment eg. :

AFC Wimbledon, Burton Albion, Crawley Town, Stevenage, Morecambe, Accrington, Newport, Wycombe, Fleetwood,
AFC Fylde, Boreham Wood, Macclesfield, Eastleigh, Dartford, Hereford, Hungerford, Maidstone, Salford City, Wealdstone, Barnet etc. etc.

Wealdstone have a fantastic team of people who get things done, whilst many non-league clubs scratch around for volunteers to the point where more and more has to be done by fewer and fewer people to keep the club functioning.
I'd say most clubs in that category rarely move up or down beyond one division.
mickeygee

Postby mickeygee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:53 pm

A ground which holds less than, say, 4,000 is likely to be an obstacle to major progress and 'Top 20' status.
That's why I think those with ambition, who believe Wealdstone should be planning for a move, have a point, much as many fans like Grosvenor Vale.
mickeygee

Postby Enfield Stones » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:26 pm

abuzza wrote:

The word 'investment' implies there is a financial return to be had. The word 'gamble' suggests there's a chance of a financial return. That might be true if you're a Glazer investing in Man U. At our level putting money into a football club is more akin to flushing your cash down the toilet, especially if it goes on players' wages.

Of course, if you've got the cash, there are worse ways to flush it down the toilet than on building a football club. The 'concern' is that we've all seen where this can lead. Farnborough, Salisbury, Hornchurch, AFC Billericay (What, not happened yet? It will.) etc. etc. Oh yes, Wealdstone too.

Most of us are cautiously optimistic that Mr. Marsden is in it for the right reasons and for the long haul, and won't drag us to the top of the mountain before stealing our skis. But for those of us who supported the Stones through boom and bust before, forgive our caution, once is enough.

Great post Martin, it scarred us badly then and it still scars us now, what happened during our boom and bust period will haunt us for the rest of our living days. We have all moved on but in the back of our minds, please god not again ! After years of having no money I want to try and enjoy whilst the club is flourishing. We have to trust the new regime, it won't stop me asking pertinent questions to make sure old mistakes are not made again.

KTF!
Enfield Stones

Next

Return to stonesnet forum