Re: Hereford segregated and they get the Bulla

Postby Royal Blue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Here it is -
El Pirata.gif
(197.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Royal Blue

Postby charlie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Nice to fill it Saturday.... All singing. All dancing.
charlie

Postby attic » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:20 pm

All I can say is whoever was happy with the final design of the roof on that stand should send their CV to British Aerospace or Boeing. I know for certain this was none of the work of the 'summer groundworkers'. I'd also suggest none of the summer groundworkers ever try and build an aeroplane. It won't get off the ground. None of what they ever did resembled an aeroplane wing. So don't even try it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am

It has to said the top end actually looks a whole lot better without that roof and the myriad of scaffold poles that gave it the Whitehawkesque appearance.

Hopefully when the roof is restored it will be done properly.
The Guvnor

Postby FGW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 am

The Guvnor wrote:It has to said the top end actually looks a whole lot better without that roof and the myriad of scaffold poles that gave it the Whitehawkesque appearance.

I hope the bloody thing gets moved and covered terracing is put in its place eventually!!!
FGW

Postby deadly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am

In an ideal world, the scaffolding roof should be put re-positioned over the tea bar terracing (with additional bracing) and a proper cantilever roof be installed over the seating, but only after first removing the seating and building up the concrete base to a level it should have been in the first place... :o :o :o

But beggar's can't be choosers, so a Whitehawk roofing style will do for me thanks....but not a Whitehawk style team (even with their latest signing). :P :P :P

Deadly realist.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby Bananas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:16 pm

deadly wrote:In an ideal world, the scaffolding roof should be put re-positioned over the tea bar terracing (with additional bracing) and a proper cantilever roof be installed over the seating, but only after first removing the seating and building up the concrete base to a level it should have been in the first place... :o :o :o

But beggar's can't be choosers, so a Whitehawk roofing style will do for me thanks....but not a Whitehawk style team (even with their latest signing). :P :P :P

Deadly realist.

No idea what the plan is with the new stand replacement roof. A large amount of the tube, laher beams and sheets were damaged beyond repair. Hopefully the new one will be a little more permanent in it's design than it's predecessor but your guess is good as mine.

As for the level of the base...well you all know my feelings on that subject.

Your idea for the tea bar side is a good one. In fact so good that when the infamous summer works team rebuilt that entire section of terracing, all the infrastructure to do exactly that was put in at the same time. It's what we in the trade call forward planning. we wanted to cover the side but the club didn't have the budget at the time to do so, in fact all the works we ever did down the Vale were done at as minimum a cost to the club as possible, and every year we came in under budget (having done more than we'd been asked to do) and on time for the start of the season.

Massive hats off to everyone who gave their time and money by the way. Respect is due, in spades.

Anyway...getting back to the subject.

We put the infrastructure in because doing it after the terrace had been built would have meant undoing a lot of hard work that had already been done (and obviously wasting money that we'd already invested in it). Therefore all the supporting posts for the roof are already in place and are concreted deep into the ground (have a look next time you are there, you'll see some posts are bolted down, some concreted) so as..ahem...the roof can't blow away in a gale. It wouldn't be a long or difficult job to build upon the infrastructure we have in place as the position and spacing is correct for any sized beam or width/depth of roof that we choose to put there.

Looking at the salvageable materials we have remaining from the "one that got away" roof there is more than enough materials and parts to cover that entire terrace and for it to be secure and safe for many years.

Perhaps when we know what's going on with the new stand and maybe those materials will become available. If so, I would like to think the club would be sensible enough to utilise them to improve the ground (and the facilities for the fans) at what would be a virtually zero cost project.

All they would need is someone with a bit of common sense and engineering nous to lead it.

Hope that answers your query.
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby Bananas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm

FGW wrote:
The Guvnor wrote:It has to said the top end actually looks a whole lot better without that roof and the myriad of scaffold poles that gave it the Whitehawkesque appearance.

I hope the bloody thing gets moved and covered terracing is put in its place eventually!!!

Actually, that was part of the original plan...

With the time scale and the constraints of the current site (particularly the layout of such things as the floodlights) that we were working to last year to try and get the stand built before the March 31st deadline, there wasn't anywhere else to put the new stand than where it is now. I promise you I toiled and sweated for hours with a tape measure and graph paper and pen trying to squeeze it in but it just wasn't going to realistically happen, especially as we were doing the work during the season and the ground had to remain open.

One of the benefits of doing the stand there of course was that we'd be putting infrastructure in for it - in particular a concrete slab for it to sit on - that could be used in future once we'd moved the new stand into a better position. The obvious plan being, knock down the old seated stand, extend it's base, move the new stand there and add on a few more sections to make it up to 500+ seats.
We could have done this over a summer, and left the nice new base where it was, and put the end we were meant to be getting from B*rn*t in it's place, so we'd have a nice big standing terrace behind the goal.
Admittedly, we'd have to lengthen that base for that particular stand, but that wouldn't have been a major task - if we'd had done it at the height I'd asked it to be done it would have been anyway. :roll:
At least it's position is right, extending it all the way across the Gun Turret End the full width would put the slab just in front of the turret itself so as the B*rn*t stand would fit in front of it and beneath the overhang, and leave sufficient space at the front for circulation of people.

So there you go, all we need to do is knock the old stand down, extend the base, move the seats, extend the GTE base (and raise it obviously) and install the stand from B*rn*t.

As the saying goes, "we don't just throw this together you know..."
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby attic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Bananas wrote:

Unless the cost (time and money) was a serious player here, I still find it unbelievable that we sank so low....
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Bananas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm

attic wrote:
Bananas wrote:

Unless the cost (time and money) was a serious player here, I still find it unbelievable that we sank so low....

Took longer to dig a massive hole in the ground to lay the same thickness of concrete two feet below ground than it would have done to have just laid the new slab at the correct height on top of the existing one IMH (amateur) O.
Bananas

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum