In Mars do we trust?

For all things Wealdstone FC

In Mars do we trust?

Postby West End Stone » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 pm

Have we got footballing decisions right at Wealdstone? A manager kept on too long, average players put on big contracts, an inexperienced manager who can't hack the Wealdstone crowd. Lots of poor decisions being made just in my opinion.

Do we even have a functioning board at present?

Yep I've had a couple and it might ruffle a few feathers but it has to be asked doesn't it!
West End Stone

Re: In Mars do we trust?

Postby approvemeplease » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Too early to say on the management. However, early indications on most signings are that they've been poor.

It's clear the Chairman made the correct decision getting shot of GB albeit a few months too late – the result is Bobby is having to wear some of the mess (the moral is no excuses from BW as he agreed to take over so he must step up).

The playing side is clearly not good enough to finish in the playoff positions. I said at the start of the season it will be 8th or 9th and I stick by that. That is of course not good enough for a club of our size with our budget and our ambition.

As for the board, it's clear some money is being put in. Some people seem nervous by it, I can understand with some justification given the history, however it's a new era for the football club. Investment was needed if the club was going to move forward so I personally welcome it. Spending the money wisely is another question to be answered.

The immediate steps are try and string together a trophy run, stop the rot of league tonkings and steady the ship and then ship out deadwood / those who's contracts expire in the Summer and come back in August having had a full pre-season and give the manager another go. Of course it would look more justified he won't get another go if those immediate steps are not remedied and the club crashes out of the trophy to Hereford.
approvemeplease

Postby worruz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm

West End Stone wrote:Have we got footballing decisions right at Wealdstone? A manager kept on too long, average players put on big contracts, an inexperienced manager who can't hack the Wealdstone crowd. Lots of poor decisions being made just in my opinion.

Yep I've had a couple and it might ruffle a few feathers but it has to be asked doesn't it!

You've had a couple on a Wednesday afternoon at 3.24pm?

Fair play to you :lol:

Anyway, personally I do feel GB was kept on too long. I also feel that if GB had stayed as manager when he was actually at the club we'd have maybe been better off.
What I mean by that is I think he'd delegated too much. Scott McGleish looked to me like he was pretty much managing the side in GBs last 2 years. Add Steve Newing to the mix at the start of last season and then the cherry on the cake was Jimmy Gray at the start of this and it all was a recipe for disaster.
Leo, Mark Gill AND Micky J as GBs assistants worked for long enough but obviously couldn't last forever.
Anyway that's all gone now.

As for the current manager. It all seemed ok one month ago. Too soon to be calling him and his coaching team just yet but things do need to improve.

Cant hack the crowd?

Time will tell.

Don't know anything about the board so cant comment on that
worruz

Postby abuzza » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:29 pm

To answer the question simply, yes, we have no choice. He's delved deeply into his pockets and has no visible ulterior motive. What more do you want? For years critics of the board were demanding an outside 'investor' and Mr Marsden fits the bill. Those of us who've taken pride in the club's parsimony over the years might get a nosebleed at the thought of the money being spent, and question if it's being spent well, but, honestly, where would we be heading if this hadn't happened?

As for the manager, every time it looked like Gordon was on borrowed time over the last few seasons I heard people demanding a young up and coming all action ranting and raving Danny Cowley type. Bobby Wilkinson was the obvious choice. Let's go further: if, rather than being appointed by the chairman the new manager had been elected by the fans from a shortlist and Bobby Wilkinson was on that list, he'd have won by a landslide. So if he turns out to be a failure don't blame the chairman.

Will he fail? No idea. After the Burgess Hill fiasco he horribly misjudged the mood and spouted some awful footballspeak bollocks which suggested he had yet to grasp what Wealdstone is about. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes. He hasn't achieved much so far. But even if we lose to Hereford and the season peters out in mid-table mediocrity I doubt he'll be sacked, nor in fairness should there be any question of him being sacked. He has to have a full season to show what he's capable of. As I pointed out in my last post, Gordon got that leeway.
abuzza

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:40 pm

West End Stone wrote:Have we got footballing decisions right at Wealdstone? A manager kept on too long, average players put on big contracts, an inexperienced manager who can't hack the Wealdstone crowd. Lots of poor decisions being made just in my opinion.

Nobody is infallible and you can spin the situation another way. Our longest serving manager turned the season around and took us to 8th place in the division, just missing out on the play offs. So the Chairman - in the face of calls for the manager to go - showed loyalty to the longest serving manager in our history and gave him a chance to see if he could continue the turnaround. The Chairman also stumped up tens of thousands of pounds to build a new stand to ensure we could enter the play offs if we ever make them.

The Chairman backed the manager with the money he wanted to sign the players he wanted, but when it became apparent the season was heading towards a disaster, he took the brave decision to sack the longest serving manager in our history just a month into the new season. And probably had to pay up his contract out of his own pocket too.

We then managed to secure - irrespective of what some may think - one of the highest rated young managers in non-league football from under the noses of Torquay United. The Chairman has then backed the new manager with extra funds to bring in the players that he wants, not interfering. And during all this turmoil, our attendances have gone up over 20% since last season, we enjoy the biggest crowds in the division and our highest average since the late 70s/early 80s.

A month ago things looked really bright, the last few weeks however have been very poor and embarrassing for everyone. I was very impressed with Wilkinson at the recent Q&A session where he spoke openly about why the abuse - and lets call it what it is, not criticism - was unacceptable in his opinion. I don't think it's a case of not being able to handle the crowd.

I remember Bartlett's first season where he was heavily backed financially by the club and confidence was so high that Paul Rumens wrote in the paper that he was guaranteeing promotion. We failed to go up but we didn't get rid of Paul and we didn't get rid of Gordon! You don't sack an executive a couple of months into joining a turnaround business and you don't sack a manager a couple of months into turning around a football club.

I know it's a sort of badge of honour at the club for some to be cynical and critical of everything that goes on and we're all guilty of it at times, but we've been crying out for years for the club to have an investor (and Marsden isn't David Morritt, we've no assets to strip) and to show some ambition. We've got it in bucketloads now and whilst it's not right on the pitch yet, we probably have't been this set up for success in 30 years.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby charlie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Well as the story goes Bobby is from Mars and his wife is from Venus.

"Not Happy," and "Warren" our forum guru s would have shot of BW ASAP. , not sure where that leaves the club/squad entering the business end of the season .

Fair enough if this downturn was terminal,...but BW has a point to prove though.

As already mentioned by many.. judge him after a full season .

Early Doors to call for a head, tis ridiculous . Come on Bobby !
charlie

Postby Elmslie Ender » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm

In my opinion Mr Marsden is nothing but a force for good for this club. He has put his money where his proverbial mouth is and has backed the club financially like no other chairman has ever done. There is no land bank to grab, so there is no ulterior motive.

He was probably too loyal to GB in keeping him for this season and the appointing of BW was quite an obvious choice at the time, and still may be a very excellent one. That said I would probably have liked a proper recruitment process rather than cherry pick whom the board/chairman wanted. Who knows who else we could have had. I cringe at some of the things he says in his interviews but that doesn't detract from him as a manager and how he goes about doing his footballing business. BW is highly thought within the game and was considered a coup when we got him. Whether he will succeed at the Stones, time will tell. He will be given to this time next year I am sure to prove himself. He has to have a full pre-season, acquire players he wants and then let's judge him then. That said, I am frustrated as anyone on how we have played over the last seven league games, bar Braintree.
Elmslie Ender

Postby warren » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm

charlie wrote:Well as the story goes Bobby is from Mars and his wife is from Venus.

"Not Happy," and "Warren" our forum guru s would have shot of BW ASAP. , not sure where that leaves the club/squad entering the business end of the season .

Fair enough if this downturn was terminal,...but BW has a point to prove though.

As already mentioned by many.. judge him after a full season .

Early Doors to call for a head, tis ridiculous . Come on Bobby !

thanks for the guru title. i may have my doubt about the manager but also know he has a few players he might not want. he has also added a few i dont rate at all. that being said i would still give him till this time next season. if things are bad next christmas i would let him see the season out season. i hope i am wrong time will tell.
warren

Postby worruz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:19 pm

And another thing BW isn't that inexperienced.

Has he not been a manager for about 7-8 years.

Not incredibly experienced but not a novice.
worruz

Postby worruz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:20 pm

abuzza wrote:To answer the question simply, yes, we have no choice. He's delved deeply into his pockets and has no visible ulterior motive. What more do you want? For years critics of the board were demanding an outside 'investor' and Mr Marsden fits the bill. Those of us who've taken pride in the club's parsimony over the years might get a nosebleed at the thought of the money being spent, and question if it's being spent well, but, honestly, where would we be heading if this hadn't happened?

As for the manager, every time it looked like Gordon was on borrowed time over the last few seasons I heard people demanding a young up and coming all action ranting and raving Danny Cowley type. Bobby Wilkinson was the obvious choice. Let's go further: if, rather than being appointed by the chairman the new manager had been elected by the fans from a shortlist and Bobby Wilkinson was on that list, he'd have won by a landslide. So if he turns out to be a failure don't blame the chairman.

Will he fail? No idea. After the Burgess Hill fiasco he horribly misjudged the mood and spouted some awful footballspeak bollocks which suggested he had yet to grasp what Wealdstone is about. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes. He hasn't achieved much so far. But even if we lose to Hereford and the season peters out in mid-table mediocrity I doubt he'll be sacked, nor in fairness should there be any question of him being sacked. He has to have a full season to show what he's capable of. As I pointed out in my last post, Gordon got that leeway.

Not everyone on here was a Cowley type fan.

I had no issue with him but several did.

See where he is now!
worruz

Next

Return to stonesnet forum