In Mars do we trust?

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: In Mars do we trust?

Postby attic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

I've championed the appointment of BW so to question this would be hypocritical in the extreme. Abbuza has nailed it that he probably would have been the fans choice had it gone to a vote. Of course there may be an issue with his 'small club' background and the added pressures at Wealdstone. Only time will tell whether this will be a genuine concern. Of course the last set of results have been extremely poor and this needs to be nipped in the bud NOW. The handful of deficiencies in this side are obvious to me if not others. We rode our luck a bit during the decent run but hard work and a good team ethic maybe indicated this luck was earned. Also helps having an on form Northy of course.

But where I believe PM and the board are possibly culpable is in allowing certain players to (allegedly)be put onto contracts of which outweigh their ability. This is NOT the players fault and they should never pulled up on it. However I believe the VC did state that the board would be taking ownership of contracts at the last AGM. So no fault should be aimed at GB if this was implemented. We all heard over the summer how retaining some of the present players was proving to be a financial challenge. Apparently there were clubs wanting to poach them from us. Yet those who we've tried to move on have been in about as much demand as a chocolate tea pot.

The above is without doubt a question for the next AGM.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby adamgloor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:03 pm

I personally imagine BW's tenure to be tenuous should we fail to get Top 7 and play-offs.
The players he has brought in thus far haven't got me terribly excited.
Sometimes players take a good few games to get fully into their stride so hopefully Top 7 can still happen.
Had we got a more local manager, players that he knew may have been easier to come by, rather than the ones willing to come up from the West Country.
Should we carry on with BW after failing to get Top 7 then we could be in an identical situation to last September when after a few poor results we sack the bloke anyway, leaving even more dead wood in our squad.
Perhaps we could poach Alan Dowson!!! :D
adamgloor

Postby warren » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:18 pm

adamgloor wrote:I personally imagine BW's tenure to be tenuous should we fail to get Top 7 and play-offs.
The players he has brought in thus far haven't got me terribly excited.
Sometimes players take a good few games to get fully into their stride so hopefully Top 7 can still happen.
Had we got a more local manager, players that he knew may have been easier to come by, rather than the ones willing to come up from the West Country.
Should we carry on with BW after failing to get Top 7 then we could be in an identical situation to last September when after a few poor results we sack the bloke anyway, leaving even more dead wood in our squad.
Perhaps we could poach Alan Dowson!!! :D

we will not make top 7 this season unless we bring in 5 very good players in. if we make top 10 we have done well

i suspect anywhere from 11-15 will be where we finish. we just dont have the goals in this current squad. again hope to be wrong
warren

Postby breakspear stones » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm

I couldn’t believe listening to an older fan on Saturday blaming Peter Marsden for us being 0-3 down at home to which I replied to with interest
breakspear stones

Postby attic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 pm

A quick look at another thread on this forum reveals the club's financial position. Its hardly flush is it? I guess you could say this happened under the watch of the previous regime. The fact we are (generally) going forward as a club is largely down to Peter Marsden. Question some of his decisions (as is my, yours and everyone's absolute right) but overall he's a force of good. You could say the same about El Pres too.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Ally » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Where would we be without PM's cash? Or the new alleged investor?

IMO we should give BW a chance to get us into the playoffs this season or next. We need to be patient with him to make his mark on the team with his choice of players.
Ally

Postby Stoney Ground » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm

His choice of players needs to improve needs to sign players that are better and definite starters.

On Saturday we had 5 defenders starting and 2 on the bench, surely Wellard should have at least been on the bench instead of either Wilson or the new lad (who I don’t think has played for a month) gives options to change offensively or to get us playing through midfield.

With the amount of central defenders we have need to look at playing wing backs and 3 central, at the moment we play 2 wide fullbacks and leave far to much space for people to,play through us.

I keep hearing Jerome is doing fantastic in midfield, says as much about the others as it does him. He’s our best defender getting him in defence and stop leaking goals.
Stoney Ground

Postby timfparks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Stoney Ground wrote:His choice of players needs to improve needs to sign players that are better and definite starters.

On Saturday we had 5 defenders starting and 2 on the bench, surely Wellard should have at least been on the bench instead of either Wilson or the new lad (who I don’t think has played for a month) gives options to change offensively or to get us playing through midfield.

With the amount of central defenders we have need to look at playing wing backs and 3 central, at the moment we play 2 wide fullbacks and leave far to much space for people to,play through us.

I keep hearing Jerome is doing fantastic in midfield, says as much about the others as it does him. He’s our best defender getting him in defence and stop leaking goals.

Having finally seen the video of Monday's pasting - what a car crash that was! We seemed to be chasing shadows. Yes, wing backs is (literally) the way forward Don. But it's not BW's way.
timfparks

Postby attic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:49 am

timfparks wrote:
Having finally seen the video of Monday's pasting - what a car crash that was! We seemed to be chasing shadows. Yes, wing backs is (literally) the way forward Don. But it's not BW's way.

Have just seen it too. Players making the kind of basic mistakes that you barely saw during our Ryman League Division 3 days. It looked men against boys at times. I don't think Peter Marsden is a kneejerk chairman at all. All the better for it in my opinion. He can't have been at all happy with that though. And neither can the manager. The players need to take a good look at themselves after that.
attic

Postby tangled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:18 pm

My concern is what happens if the Chairman walks (or something else happens), leaving the club with unsustainable commitments to so-so players and no reserves or a substantial debt pile. We know the outcome, we’ve been there before.
tangled

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum