2018-2019 Playing squad

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby deadly » Fri May 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Wow.
What a day. It's just like a manager putting on all the subs on at once to change a game. :P :P :P
A very impressive day of signings.
All looks good & promising for the forthcoming season, with plenty of time to weld everyone into a team.

And a good clear out too.
Nothing like a good clearout.

I feel a lot better now.


Season ticket purchased.

Deadly Relief.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
User avatar
deadly
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby Elmslie Ender » Sat May 19, 2018 5:33 am

An interesting day yesterday for sure. Doubt we have ever had so many signings in a day before. Have to be honest, when the names were being announced it was largely meh, but that’s exactly what the chairman said we would look to sign at the end of last season. Players that give you 7/10 every week rather than oscillate between 5 and 9, which is much more in the mould of a BW side. We have lacked consistency and these signings look like players that will perform week in week out in a consistent manner.

Responses from supporters of their previous clubs would suggest that if Mambo can stay fit, and it’s a big if, there is a player with star quality there. Lench and Grant as well seem to be great signings, whilst the only one being panned is Hatton.

This is now BW’s team , his style of players and will have bought into what he wants. Over to the management team.

Hopefully the rumoured potential signings , depending on ongoing negotiations, provide the quality that will sprinkle some star dust on the team.
Last edited by Elmslie Ender on Sat May 19, 2018 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elmslie Ender
 
Posts: 3720
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby The Guvnor » Sat May 19, 2018 5:40 am

Agree that of all the signings yesterday only Grant and Lench look like first team starters to me although of course 1 or 2 may surprise us. Mambo if he stays fit will obviously also feature but there has to be a massive question mark over a player who retired through injury only 6 months ago. I wish him all the best but I just can't see it.
The Guvnor
 
Posts: 2911
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby attic » Sat May 19, 2018 9:31 am

We've actually got quite a few 'names' inherited from last seasons squad. The key now is to supplement them with hard working, consistent players of which I'd like to think the majority of these guys are. Of course there is another 'name' that is rumoured to being very close to signing of which would add some real pace, creativity and finishing power to our team. As I've said, the majority of teams that did well this year weren't full of 'galacticos'.

Considering who we've signed at left back and the fact Okimo will surely be looking to start in midfield as our anchor man, does put into question the places of Green and Cox as automatic starters would you not say??
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
User avatar
attic
 
Posts: 7406
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Sat May 19, 2018 11:48 am

attic wrote:Considering who we've signed at left back and the fact Okimo will surely be looking to start in midfield as our anchor man, does put into question the places of Green and Cox as automatic starters would you not say??


These two have been questioned all season. Green we all know has the quality to play at this level or higher but frustrates because we don't see it game to game, or even minute to minute in a game. Cox is much more consistent, but isn't a passer of quality.

I expect central midfield is a key area BW is looking at, finding a ball winner who can run forwards and pass incisively too.

Is Matty Harriot still in the US?
User avatar
Waltons Left Boot
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby worruz » Sat May 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Agree on Matty Harriot. I’d love to see him back with us if at all possible.
worruz
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby The Guvnor » Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Double agree on Hariott. He had good athleticism, could put a tackle in and was always looking forward either with a pass or going past someone to open things up a bit. And he could score a goal too. In short he made things happen whereas I don't think that could be said of any of our central midfield these past few seasons. We are just so one paced and predictable in that area so BW has to add the zip that we need. And unfortunately Green and Cox were the epitome of that ineffective play and they are still with us so lets see, but I don't think it would take much to replace them. Okimo as holding and a sharp proactive creative player alongside him will work for me so hopefully in amongst all those recent signings one of those exists.
The Guvnor
 
Posts: 2911
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby craigw87 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:35 am

The Guvnor wrote:Double agree on Hariott. He had good athleticism, could put a tackle in and was always looking forward either with a pass or going past someone to open things up a bit. And he could score a goal too. In short he made things happen whereas I don't think that could be said of any of our central midfield these past few seasons. We are just so one paced and predictable in that area so BW has to add the zip that we need. And unfortunately Green and Cox were the epitome of that ineffective play and they are still with us so lets see, but I don't think it would take much to replace them. Okimo as holding and a sharp proactive creative player alongside him will work for me so hopefully in amongst all those recent signings one of those exists.


Last i can see of Hariott was playing for Wilmington Hammerheads FC in the US 2 years ago. No other online records seem to show any other clubs since.
"In football, the worst things are excuses. Excuses mean you cannot grow or move forward"
craigw87
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:15 pm
Location: Harefield

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby Wobs » Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 pm

craigw87 wrote:
The Guvnor wrote:Double agree on Hariott. He had good athleticism, could put a tackle in and was always looking forward either with a pass or going past someone to open things up a bit. And he could score a goal too. In short he made things happen whereas I don't think that could be said of any of our central midfield these past few seasons. We are just so one paced and predictable in that area so BW has to add the zip that we need. And unfortunately Green and Cox were the epitome of that ineffective play and they are still with us so lets see, but I don't think it would take much to replace them. Okimo as holding and a sharp proactive creative player alongside him will work for me so hopefully in amongst all those recent signings one of those exists.


Last i can see of Hariott was playing for Wilmington Hammerheads FC in the US 2 years ago. No other online records seem to show any other clubs since.


Nasty knee injury curtailed his USA experience. Attended a number of WFC matches in 2016/17 season (and I think last season too if I remember correctly). GB kept in touch with him. Last I spoke to Matty he had been referred to specialists at either Lilleshall or St George's Park.
Wobs
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:04 am

Re: 2018-2019 Playing squad

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks Wobs,

Real shame and I wish him well. There's no doubt he's the model of player that succeeds in this league. Wonder how much that Brackley #4 is paid - was his name Lowe?
User avatar
Waltons Left Boot
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

cron