Former Players

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Former Players

Postby timfparks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:05 pm

tangled wrote:A very former player this time. A mate at work mentioned he regularly plays (and loses at) table tennis against Ian Cranstone in an after work league. He clearly remembers his days at the Stones as he mentioned winning the Jock Law Trophy in 1979. Before my time at the Vale, but clearly made an impact. One of nine goalies to win it. Ten if you include Northy's double win.

Don’t know who you are, Tangled, but I’d you can get me Cranstone’s number I’d be much obliged. Be interesting to hear his story
timfparks

Postby attic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 pm

I'd like to know as a percentage how many players have left or been bombed from Wealdstone who:

Were deemed not good enough and dropped off the radar

Were deemed not good enough but went on to better themselves at this level. Or even above.

Were good enough but received a better offer at another club at this level

Were good enough and went on to better themselves at a higher level
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby russpa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:29 pm

attic wrote:I'd like to know as a percentage how many players have left or been bombed from Wealdstone who:

Were deemed not good enough but went on to better themselves at this level. Or even above.

you will see one in 2 weeks time Ross Lafayette ...dud very well since he left us.
russpa

Postby Stoney Ground » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 pm

russpa wrote:
attic wrote:I'd like to know as a percentage how many players have left or been bombed from Wealdstone who:

you will see one in 2 weeks time Ross Lafayette ...dud very well since he left us.

He was coming back from serious injury, and not thought to be the answer we needed at the time.
Stoney Ground

Postby woodman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Yaku
woodman

Postby attic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 pm

How's Elliot Benyon and Josh Hill doing these days out of interest? Initial research would suggest two vastly different outcomes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Stoney Ground » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 pm

attic wrote:How's Elliot Benyon and Josh Hill doing these days out of interest? Initial research would suggest two vastly different outcomes.

How about Ricky Wellard, came to us from a club a division above. Gave us some sublime moments now captain of a side higher than us in the league.

Or his replacemant, equaly talented came from a side in our division, touted as the best midfielder in the league. Now playing a level below and his side lost 4-3 to a team containing Elliot Godfrey, funny old game football.
Stoney Ground

Postby worruz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am

Stoney Ground wrote: Now playing a level below .

Isn't he injured again?
worruz

Postby worruz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:44 am

Stoney Ground wrote:
attic wrote:How's Elliot Benyon and Josh Hill doing these days out of interest? Initial research would suggest two vastly different outcomes.

How about Ricky Wellard, came to us from a club a division above. Gave us some sublime moments now captain of a side higher than us in the league.

Or his replacemant, equaly talented came from a side in our division, touted as the best midfielder in the league. Now playing a level below and his side lost 4-3 to a team containing Elliot Godfrey, funny old game football.

Good luck to Wellard but personally I wouldn't have him back and I am not too bothered he left. Gave us some sublime moments but several more moments of anonymity under two different managers. The fact his replacement did no better is an irrelevance to me. Technically his 'replacement' wasn't a replacement as he was here with Wellard (that's if we're talking about the same person). Lets see where Wellard is in the months/years to come.

People have cited a few examples of players who have gone on to better things after we've bombed them but the list isn't massive lets be honest.
worruz

Postby attic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am

worruz wrote:People have cited a few examples of players who have gone on to better things after we've bombed them but the list isn't massive lets be honest.

I don't think Luke Williams was ever going to be Wellard's replacement. More of a hard working box to box type player. A bit more Ryan Ashe if you ask me. Hungerford fans wax lyrical about him but we never really saw him fully fit. We'll never know now. We've not really had a reliable creative midfielder since dare I say it Glenn Little or Tom Pett. One or two of the present squad need to step in this department. They have the ability but aren't showing it anywhere consistently enough. You could even argue that we've not obviously improved on Scott Davis when it comes to creative impact in midfield. As for having some legs and steel in midfield the improvement has been obvious this season.

Former players though....I'd say the majority end up at the level below. Including some who felt hard done by in not being picked or being criticised for their performances at Conference South level.
attic

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum