Wealdstone Legends Club

For all things Wealdstone FC

Wealdstone Legends Club

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:44 pm

As the on pitch action is still a few months away, I'm sure we've all got a few thoughts bubbling away about how things could improve off the pitch for the coming season.

I've thought for a long time that we should recognise the Legends of our club in some sort of formal way, maybe by inducting them into a Wealdstone Legends Club and inviting those available down to The Vale to be interviewed in the clubhouse hall before home games (maybe one person a month for example), receive their award and recognition. Those inducted could be recorded on a specific section of the club website with a profile about their achievements, maybe even visually on a board at the club too. Given all the changes across the club its also a great way of demonstrating our rich heritage and the privilege of playing for the Stones.

If we were to do that, what criteria would you use to decide whether someone is a Stones legend? Certain number of appearances - perhaps retired players with 100+ appearances? Goals scored? Specific achievements? Which of the thousands of players who have worn our colours or officials with incredible service in 100+ years of history would make the cut?
BornundertheElmslie

Re: Wealdstone Legends Club

Postby worruz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:02 pm

You wouldn’t be able to use games played as a criteria I don’t think.

There are people in the Stones support who hate Lee Chappel but on games played he’d probably make the list.

I’m not one of the ones who hates him by the way.
worruz

Postby attic » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Good idea. We've already had a variant of this where fans paid to name a seat in the stand in recognition of their favourite player. That would be a good starting point.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby kenton1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm

I think the club does something like this already, as when a sponsor during last season George Duck was presented with some sort of club memento, though I have to admit I can't remember what it was. Am sure a couple of other players have been given similar awards over the last few seasons. Maybe someone could enlighten us please as this could constitute a start to the "legends" idea
kenton1

Postby Elmslie Ender » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:01 am

BornundertheElmslie wrote:As the on pitch action is still a few months away, I'm sure we've all got a few thoughts bubbling away about how things could improve off the pitch for the coming season.

I've thought for a long time that we should recognise the Legends of our club in some sort of formal way, maybe by inducting them into a Wealdstone Legends Club and inviting those available down to The Vale to be interviewed in the clubhouse hall before home games (maybe one person a month for example), receive their award and recognition. Those inducted could be recorded on a specific section of the club website with a profile about their achievements, maybe even visually on a board at the club too. Given all the changes across the club its also a great way of demonstrating our rich heritage and the privilege of playing for the Stones.

If we were to do that, what criteria would you use to decide whether someone is a Stones legend? Certain number of appearances - perhaps retired players with 100+ appearances? Goals scored? Specific achievements? Which of the thousands of players who have worn our colours or officials with incredible service in 100+ years of history would make the cut?

Think it is a great idea to recognize those that have contributed to the rich tapestry of the club. As for the criteria, if you ask ten people, you'd get ten different answers. Appearances would be a starting point, but as PJB says, would you put Chappell in the exulted company as Lindsay, Duck (even though he eventually played for Boro) and Cordice? Of course not, despite having played over 300 games for the club.
Elmslie Ender

Postby worruz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 am

Elmslie Ender wrote:
BornundertheElmslie wrote:As the on pitch action is still a few months away, I'm sure we've all got a few thoughts bubbling away about how things could improve off the pitch for the coming season.

Think it is a great idea to recognize those that have contributed to the rich tapestry of the club. As for the criteria, if you ask ten people, you'd get ten different answers. Appearances would be a starting point, but as PJB says, would you put Chappell in the exulted company as Lindsay, Duck (even though he eventually played for Boro) and Cordice? Of course not, despite having played over 300 games for the club.

I don't want to turn this into the Lee Chappell thread but...Obviously I wouldn't put him the company of some of the true legends or greats of our club but he did play his part in what I perceive to be a pretty enjoyable period of watching the Stones. He was there when we had some pretty rubbish times at Northwood and was with us through the move to Ruislip and was part of a very competitive Ryman league side that unfortunately couldn't quite get over the line in the league or the Trophy after that epic run. I liked him although I realise plenty didn't .
worruz

Postby Elmslie Ender » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 am

?[/quote]

Think it is a great idea to recognize those that have contributed to the rich tapestry of the club. As for the criteria, if you ask ten people, you'd get ten different answers. Appearances would be a starting point, but as PJB says, would you put Chappell in the exulted company as Lindsay, Duck (even though he eventually played for Boro) and Cordice? Of course not, despite having played over 300 games for the club.[/quote]

I don't want to turn this into the Lee Chappell thread but...Obviously I wouldn't put him the company of some of the true legends or greats of our club but he did play his part in what I perceive to be a pretty enjoyable period of watching the Stones. He was there when we had some pretty rubbish times at Northwood and was with us through the move to Ruislip and was part of a very competitive Ryman league side that unfortunately couldn't quite get over the line in the league or the Trophy after that epic run. I liked him although I realise plenty didn't .[/quote]

He's played over 300 games for us, think he may be around No 6 in the all time list, certainly top ten. Under most definitions you would include him.
Elmslie Ender

Postby warren » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Let's be honest if we did this and I think it is a great idea the likes of LC would take a few years to get into it if you do this around 5-6 times a season. It would be a great project for the supports club to run.
warren

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Why not anyone associated wIth Wealdstone FC as we have had a few legends who were not players...ie GB...LM....BH etc
Big Phil

Postby attic » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I'd suggest someone like Gary McKeown would be in the running. Probably made only 40 odd appearances in total, however his 10 or so game presence during his first season ensured we got 'promoted'.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Next

Return to stonesnet forum