World Cup 2018

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:31 am

Actually cancel the last, perhaps BW is not psychic after all. Having declared that all his business for the Summer was done we now sign another player today.
The Guvnor

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:37 am

So, big day for England today. Can they do it ?

We definitely have the players but at the risk of sounding controversial I've not seen anything yet to make me think we'll win today.

I like Southgate but this obsession with Sterling could be his Achilles heel. We are going to need clever players to break Sweden down today and he most certainly is not that. Football intelligence and guile will beat the swedes and the jury is out for me as to whether we have that.

All will be revealed this afternoon because if you can't show it in a game of this magnitude then you know its not there.
The Guvnor

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:40 am

Sterling has had a pretty lousy world cup. As has Alli. However when we took them off against Colombia we got worse. Kane was holding the ball up brilliantly, but towards the end of the game he would lose it as there was nobody to pass to.

I'm afraid I don't rate RLC much, so he doesn't have many options. I prefer Rose to Young but the team is really lacking a quality 10. Oh for a Hazard
Waltons Left Boot

Postby 61663 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:07 pm

61663 wrote:
attic wrote: ....Pickford looked a bit unconvincing if you ask me.....

Mmmm.... :lol:

Mmmmm x 2

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Great result and for me the best performance so far. A team growing into the tournament is a good sign and I still think we have a bit more to offer.

Absolutely no reason why we can't reach the final now and who would have predicted that.

Getting bored even talking about Sterling now so lets just hope we reach the final and he scores the winning goal. If that happens then I'll actually believe Father Christmas is real.

Its very rare even at Sunday League level that strikers look so clueless in front of goal.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:19 pm

61663 wrote:
61663 wrote:
attic wrote: ....Pickford looked a bit unconvincing if you ask me.....

Mmmm.... :lol:

Mmmmm x 2

Yep, did extremely well today. Looks better under pressure than Hart ever did. Hopefully his slightly shaky performance against Belgium was a one off.

Difficult to change a winning team in spite of the obvious weakness up front. Sterling, for all his faults does give the team a reasonable shape, occupies defenders and did cause more than a few problems today. His finishing, in spite of his impressive firearms tattoo is absolutely pop-gun. I don't think he's been involved in any of our goals either? The thing is though, as teams get stronger, your weak points become liabilities. Southgate has acquitted himself pretty well so far. I'm not sure though, if he will be brave enough to make the obvious change that could well be needed to give us that extra edge against Croatia. Thought Alli looked a little better as the game wore on and obviously he took his chance well.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby worruz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:10 am

I know he’s everybody’s Aunt Sally at the moment but I thought Sterling played well yesterday.

I just want him to score a tap on to help his confidence and get the right wing papers off his back
worruz

Postby worruz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:13 am

And again

Henderson

Fantastic
worruz

Postby BillyByrneFan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:56 pm

As has been pointed out he gives a shape to the system and is getting into positions which does occupy defenders but looks like someone that's never played before when given the chances, decision making? A couple of times yesterday he watched around the box rather than gambling on getting to somewhere that would hurt the opposition, not a natural goalscorer despite his tally for City. All the top strikers at all levels are always on the move. Having said all that, he's playing for his country so I desperately want him to score, even if it is a "tap in" Pete.
BillyByrneFan

Postby charlie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:05 pm

"Pop it in Pete '. More likely

Slack Alice will be a memory.
charlie

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum