World Cup 2018

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby sausagesandwich » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Hello? Anyone in here? Oh dear, they must have all gone out. I'll just switch the lights off and go away. Yes, that'll be the best plan. Quietly, so as not disturb anyone who might still be lurking around.
sausagesandwich

Postby attic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Gave it a fair go but ultimately our lack of quality in midfield, ability to concede soft goals and inexperience probably cost us. Too many players weren't at the races tonight and faded badly as the game wore on. I've backed Rashford for a place in the side but he was awful during his time out there. As bad as Kane who simply didn't look fit. Oh well, I think we can safely say this team has done very well considering the obvious defects and lack of genuine class. They've made the nation proud and have erased the awful memories of the last two tournaments. Southgate's big task now is to turn a team of nervous nearly men into genuine winners.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby worruz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:06 pm

sausagesandwich wrote:Hello? Anyone in here? Oh dear, they must have all gone out. I'll just switch the lights off and go away. Yes, that'll be the best plan. Quietly, so as not disturb anyone who might still be lurking around.

No need to shut the thread. World Cup not over yet. There are still two games to go of what has been a good tournament.

Well done England. I'm a regular at games but I never expected them to do that well. Needed to take our chances. Croatia had more big game players than our team. More winners.
worruz

Postby worruz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Oh and come on France.

The Russian people have been fine since I've been here. Unfortuntely I came across some proper cvn tish Croatians the past two days.
worruz

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:23 am

Decent tournament for England without really setting the world alight. Progress has been made and we will only get better but we have to find better quality in the final third. We have a top striker but we need to feed him, our allegedly creative players are just not good enough. I sense Lindgard will make the grade but not sure about the others apart from Sterling who I'm very sure about. A year ago Lallana was our best player and he more than anyone else was badly missed in this tournament. So life gets back to normal, the once every 4 years football fans can get back into their box and Wealdstone can become our main focus again.

UTS
The Guvnor

Postby Rayners Blue is Back » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm

The Guvnor wrote:Decent tournament for England without really setting the world alight. Progress has been made and we will only get better but we have to find better quality in the final third. We have a top striker but we need to feed him, our allegedly creative players are just not good enough. I sense Lindgard will make the grade but not sure about the others apart from Sterling who I'm very sure about. A year ago Lallana was our best player and he more than anyone else was badly missed in this tournament. So life gets back to normal, the once every 4 years football fans can get back into their box and Wealdstone can become our main focus again.

UTS

We have got the Euros in 2 years time :)
Rayners Blue is Back

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Rayners Blue is Back wrote:We have got the Euros in 2 years time

Maybe.
The Guvnor

Postby FGW » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 pm

What about the 'new' UEFA Nations League (League A, Group 4) games starting in the Autumn...…

Sat 8 Sep - England v Spain KO 19:45

Fri 12 Oct - Croatia v England KO 19:45

Mon 15 Oct - Spain v England KO 19:45

Sun 18 Nov - England v Croatia KO 15:00

A good chance to build on what has been established at the WC + an opportunity for the RSC to make some more money over the bar when the games are televised ...…. :D
FGW

Postby Bananas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm

FGW wrote:What about the 'new' UEFA Nations League (League A, Group 4) games starting in the Autumn...…

Sat 8 Sep - England v Spain KO 19:45

Fri 12 Oct - Croatia v England KO 19:45

Mon 15 Oct - Spain v England KO 19:45

Sun 18 Nov - England v Croatia KO 15:00

A good chance to build on what has been established at the WC + an opportunity for the RSC to make some more money over the bar when the games are televised ...…. :D

I take it it's safe to come back on here now is it?

Anyway, UEFA NAtions League is exactly what England needs IMHO. Weak qualifying groups (and occasionally Tournament groups) have not tested England for far too long now. If you're strolling through qualification without barely breaking sweat that is never going to prepare you for the times when you're up against it, either being behind in a crucial game or facing opposition you know are actually better than you. You need to be tested, need to understand how your players react to being on the back foot, whether they have the mettle to run through brick walls when required or put their backs to the wall and fight their way out of a situation.

That comes from experience of playing the better International teams on a regular basis, in competitive competitions, you don't get it anywhere else. Friendlies count for nothing. When was the last time England beat a side ranked higher in the World in a competitive game I wonder? I'm guessing Colombia is probably their biggest scalp in a while? Tells you everything really.

Playing both Spain and Croatia in 4 proper games that count towards something is going to be more beneficial for both the players and the manager than any number of pointless friendlies. To be fare (and I'm not ripping the piss here), based on what you've seen in the world cup this summer, how many points would you expect to pick up from those 4 games? Right now? Not more than 3 IMHO. Who knows.

England went into this World Cup as a team you'd expect to make the Quarter Finals, certainly looking at their group. Anything beyond that should be viewed as a bonus. They went a round further than they should have done, so that has to be viewed as a success. Expecting to get to the final, or even win it was being very optimistic. The ground work has been done this campaign for the next two tournaments, and with a young squad and a manager that seems to be getting them to punch above their weight, the future can only look bright.
Come the next Euros they'll still probably only be a quarter final team - the standard of the teams in the Euros being generally higher that the World Cup, but 2022 they should be knocking on the door of the semis, that's when you can realistically start thinking about winning it as being viable.

Well that's my opinion as a neutral for what it's worth.
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby worruz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Can't wait for the Croatia away match.

https://www.90min.com/posts/5964172-england-to-play-behind-closed-doors-in-nations-league-away-game-against-croatia

There have had some proper cvnts over here in Moscow. Not many, only a few but they have not been nice people at all. Ive said it before and I'll say it again I genuinely hate the human race. I prefer dogs and cats. They don't judge. I'm stuck here until early Monday as well and more of them will arrive as Sunday approaches.

Anyway, what a tournament it has been. Fair play to Russia. They pulled it out the bag. I'm pleased I came.
worruz

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum