Danny Green on free kicks
Ronnie

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby worruz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Kane should be taking corners.
worruz

Postby attic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Overall they more than get the benefit of the doubt tonight. A fairly composed performance in places and one of which should have seen the team at least four up at half time. Some awful finishing from Lingard (three times) and Stones to thank for this. Stuff like that will cost us against the better teams. Obviously VAR will now come into scrutiny if for different reasons. Have to admit its not held up games like feared, but if the fans sense its almost being used to 'fix' games and isn't applied consistently then that opens up a whole new can of worms.

As for Southgate. Glad for him he's got the win. Unlike some of the other imbeciles he's generally done the basics to the required standard. Can't blame him that Lingard's finishing was pathetic or that Walker decided to act like a moron for their penalty. Young...a ho hum selection and dare I saw he'll be out of the team by the Belgium game. Only Sterling was the obviously poor selection with the inevitable hooking. Thought maybe Alli should have been hooked earlier too as he clearly wasn't fit. Loftus-Cheek and Rashford added so much more once they came on.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Pretty much what I expected from England, good in patches but overall an average performance.

Positives - Henderson, a bit better going forward than anticipated. Maguire, very good for me and of course we do have a World class finisher in Kane. Also Trippier had a very good game.

Negatives - Poor defending by Walker for their penalty, Dele, totally anonymous and of course the one and only Raheem - what can I say that hasn't been said already, utter shite. I also feel Young is a bit predictable out on the left and I'd rather see Rose out there to give us better balance with his left foot.

Having watched Panama today if we don't win by 4 or 5 on Sunday we need shooting so its all on that last game with Belgium to win the group although don't think its a given they will beat Tunisia. I'm hoping Southgate has finally realised Sterling is a waste of space especially when its between him and Rashford for that spot. Absolutely no contest for me, Rashford every time and I'd probably like to see Loftus - Cheek in for Lindgard who I thought was a bit lightweight.
The Guvnor

Postby TwoToneStone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Decent performance tonight. Could've been 3 up after half hour and Kane should've had 2 penalties. Not usually a fan of Henderson but thought he was excellent tonight as opposed to the non existent Alli and Sterling. Rashford as always looked sharp coming on and RLC looked a presence too.

Easy to say now of course but a stoppage time winner is perfect. Imagine how buzzing they'll all be tonight and going into training tomorrow or whenever the next session is. Surely only improves team morale? Makes Sunday now a game where in theory if you turn up and play you'll get the result you need and qualify rather than it being a match we had to win and the longer it went on the more frustration/nerves kick in.

Credit to Southgate too. You can only hope his clear passion and pride rubs off on the players who will start to see it as an honour to play for England once again after what has appeared to be a chore for quite a few in the last few years. Who was the last England manager to show that? Not saying it will improve results but as an England fan you'd rather see that compared to the reigns of Hodgson, Capello, Eriksen etc...

Looking forward to Sunday and seeing what this squad can do. Do i think we'll win it? No. But there's something about this squad/manager that gives me optimism for a progessive tournament and a successful future.
TwoToneStone

Postby John Young » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 am

Why so much negativity,that was a decent performance and plenty chances created. We played positively, agree finishing has to be better but over the years have seen so many poor games. England have done what Germany Argentina Brazil and Spain didn't do and that was win. Hopefully this win will give the squad confidence to go forward in competition some distance. Would swap Sterling for Rashford or Vardy and Loftus- Cheek for Ali . Fighting spirit was good. Thought referee was typical Conference South level and VAR crew couldn't have been watching the game or England would have had 2 penalties. Role on Sunday and same again but finish better and score line reflect performance.
John Young

Postby Curtis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 am

Very happy to get 3 points in our opening game takes all the pressure off as we head to our next game but the one change that must be made is to bring in Rose or Delph who are both naturally left footed to replace Ashley Young who can’t get down the line and cross the ball with his left foot,all he can do is cut inside and use his right foot and is so predictable.
You could argue that Rashford and Loftus Cheek should start but coming on as subs against a tiring side might be a better way to use pace and strength but who knows what Gareth will do but it’s nice to have so many options.
As for VAR it was obviously turned off for the evening or the officials were corrupt as we were refused 2 of the most blatant penalties you will ever see and FIFA need to release a statement about why they were not given.
Curtis

Postby The Guvnor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am

Its been said many times but the team that starts a World Cup will change throughout the tournament. Although I do think we are an improving side we still have players who are playing on reputation so its up to Southgate to root them out. He has shown himself to be pretty ruthless so far but he still needs to do more. I used to really rate Dele Alli but for me he's just stood still for 18 months now and just doesn't impose himself on the game, little bits here and there but its not enough. Lingard too is a player I like but again just flitted in and out of the game last night. We probably miss a fit Lallana who is able to give us that quality in central midfield and score goals because we can't rely on HK all the time. And we clearly can't rely on Sterling who hasn't scored for England for nearly 3 years and he's a striker ! That miss last night, offside or not was just embarrassing and sums him up in an England shirt. A good start but much work still to do.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:28 am

The Guvnor wrote:Its been said many times but the team that starts a World Cup will change throughout the tournament. Although I do think we are an improving side we still have players who are playing on reputation so its up to Southgate to root them out. He has shown himself to be pretty ruthless so far but he still needs to do more. I used to really rate Dele Alli but for me he's just stood still for 18 months now and just doesn't impose himself on the game, little bits here and there but its not enough. Lingard too is a player I like but again just flitted in and out of the game last night. We probably miss a fit Lallana who is able to give us that quality in central midfield and score goals because we can't rely on HK all the time. And we clearly can't rely on Sterling who hasn't scored for England for nearly 3 years and he's a striker ! That miss last night, offside or not was just embarrassing and sums him up in an England shirt. A good start but much work still to do.

Sterling is the obvious selection blunder. I've no idea why Southgate or Hodgson seem to rate him so highly. He wasn't the only reason Hodsgon the hopeless failed so badly at the last Euro's but his selection simply baffles me. Quite why professional footballer managers continue to miss the absolute obvious I don't know. With any luck Sterling will score the winning goal somewhere and prove a lot of people wrong but I won't hold my breath. Agree every team that does well in a major tournament will evolve as it progresses. England in 1986 and 1990 were no exception. In both tournaments, our stubborn insistence in picking the unfit Bryan Robson did the team no favours at all. Once he was out of the way we started to look so much more cohesive. Also starting with the out of form Hateley in 1986 (when you had Peter Beardsley in the form of his life) could have easily cost the manager his job. We even had to totally change the formation in 1990 of which definitely helped the team but all teams who usually actually go on to win things rarely have to take such drastic action.

England....the greatest example of football mismanagement's in history.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby worruz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Cant believe more isn't being made of the VAR shambles last night. As I said earlier up the thread you're still relying on someone looking at a screen and getting it right.

Now either both the on pitch ref and the VAR ref are completely incompetent or they are bent.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they completely incompetent, but if that's the case they shouldn't get another game at the tournament then.

Imagine that in a World Cup Final regardless of who was playing in it.

Joke.
worruz

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum