New Electronic Score- Board

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: New Electronic Score- Board

Postby attic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Elmslie Ender wrote:Still say that Cheltenham trip in the Trophy was the best away day ever.

Certainly the atmosphere in the ground was rocking from start to finish. We've had higher away turnouts but the 250 odd who made their way there created a huge racket. You could probably say this was the last act of the 'old' Wealdstone.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby timfparks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Didn't everyone travel on the supporters bus/es? That is always going to increase the atmosphere and togetherness
timfparks

Postby Blue & White Army » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:36 pm

timfparks wrote:Didn't everyone travel on the supporters bus/es? That is always going to increase the atmosphere and togetherness

A packed double decker coach!

I don't actually think the atmosphere was that special, it was more memorable for high percentage of fans being absolutely smashed and the antics throughout the day.
Blue & White Army

Postby Ronnie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Blue & White Army wrote:
timfparks wrote:Didn't everyone travel on the supporters bus/es? That is always going to increase the atmosphere and togetherness

I don't actually think the atmosphere was that special, it was more memorable for high percentage of fans being absolutely smashed and the antics throughout the day.

Agree. I wasn't on the bus and don't recollect the day as particularly memorable.

Back on thread title, I do hope the scoreboard doesn't have a clock that stubbornly stops on 90m when there is time added on otherwise Khanna will continue to be pestered.
Ronnie

Postby attic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:11 pm

I'm surprised any of you remember anything from the game :)

I do remember the oh so average Leo Donnellan scoring a screamer mind.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Elmslie Ender » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:33 am

Blue & White Army wrote:

There was the infamous unofficial double decker, a full SC coach and a VP coach as well. We were not quite at our nadir, but pretty close to it. There were indeed a lot of very drunk people and a plenty of antics pre and post match.
Elmslie Ender

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:30 am

Ronnie wrote:Agree. I wasn't on the bus

And therein lies the answer.

It was probably as unruly a trip as you'll ever see, but a lot of it centred on the events in and around " that coach"
The Guvnor

Postby worruz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Now you see, I wasn't on 'that' coach but I actually think the atmosphere at the game was pretty decent.
I went on the 'normal' coach for that game.

One of my abiding memories is after going to the toilet I was coming back just as Tony Lynch (I think) smashed one in. Most of our support was along the side and as we scored I was walking back to that part of the ground from behind the goal so I had a great view of the celebrations.

My favourite memory of Jez from that day isn't the tug of war but something else I'm not sure I've even mentioned to him in the intervening 26 years.

As the crowd was going mental I suddenly saw Jez appear above everyone as if by magic. From where I was it looked like he was levitating but he had obviously managed to get himself up onto a crash barrier or something.
Anyway he stood there with his arms raised for what seemed like about 10 minutes but was probably only 2-3 seconds before he suddenly tumbled head first into the celebrating crowd. How the f### he didn't break his neck I'll never know but that image has stuck with me ever since. If anyone had got a photo of that it would have been amazing

A postscript to that day came along nearly 5 years after it.

In May 1997 Big Dave and myself went up to Old Trafford to watch England play South Africa (at football).

At the end of our 2-1 win we let the majority of the crowd drift away and asked some lads if they’d take a photo of us with our flag, with the pitch as the backdrop. Anyway as we lifted the flag up to proudly display our clubs name the bloke taking the photo loudly exclaimed ‘WEALDSTONE’. We said yes and he went on to say they were Cheltenham fans and that we’d played them a few years earlier in the Trophy and our fans were mad and the best they’d ever had down at their place.

I've never been more proud.

:) :lol:
Last edited by worruz on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
worruz

Postby worruz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Anyway....the scoreboard
worruz

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:06 pm

shortstuff wrote:To answer Charlie's question on the Black Director's building just below the roof.

Blimey we have a Black Director now?

I was at Cheltenham for that game, and definitely up at the top of atmospheres, and general apeshittery when we scored - 2 crackers if I remember. Normally standing on the side isn't great but Chelt and Southport show we can do it when large amounts of beer are involved.

No coaches, but one of the most memorable days out for sure. I think it's to do with the distance. Newport IoW were always pretty great days out even if they always ended in draws.
Waltons Left Boot

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum