Simply Superb

For all things Wealdstone FC

Simply Superb

Postby Wobs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Once again, what a great programme we had for the Dartford match.

It included an 8 page interview with Wealdstone legend John "Willie" Watson which is a great read. Fantastic stuff Tim.

I actually counted 31 pages of what I class as original content which is amazing.

The only cloud on the horizon so far as I am concerned is that we sold less than 200 copies. It's still not too late to grab a copy at the next home match you attend.

C'mon everybody - buy a copy of our staggeringly good matchday programme in future.
Wobs

Re: Simply Superb

Postby timfparks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks Pete. I was quite proud of that interview - and I loved doing it.
As for the sales, well, that is disappointing but not surprising in these days when online media rules. It's sad that for (less than) the cost of a pint people will forego the sort of information and entertainment about OUR club that you can't get anywhere else.
Will anyone be sorry when it's gone?
A lot of fans have just got out of the habit of reading anything that's not on their phone - and it's a habit I don't think will ever be reversed.
I'll be sending a lot of feature stuff over to Alan Hill to put on the club website so I suppose that may ensure a wider audience.
timfparks

Postby Elmslie Ender » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 pm

I do find it quite remarkable that at best only 1/3 adults buys a programme at our home games, for the best magazine in the league. That said, I haven’t bought one away from the Vale in years.
Elmslie Ender

Postby attic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 pm

To be fair, people buy programmes for different reasons. Some actually do read it from cover to cover. I read most of it, throw it into a bag and then bring a years worth back to the club shop at the end of the season. I've seen others buy it and put it straight into a plastic sleeve. Up into the archive it goes probably only to be seen again in a few decades after nature has its way. A few people I know buy one to read and to archive! Buffoonery extends beyond forms of public transport.

Agree though, it was a great read and one of which even younger fans would have surely found engaging.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Syd_Stone » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Could we perhaps take a copy or two of each programme apart, then stick every page of it on to a giant poster board?

Then, place said board quite high up (above the programme sales spot?) so that those entering the ground can see the whole thing, but not closely enough to actually read it unless they pay for it.

Fans would get to see the depth of content they'd otherwise be passing up.

Or instead of the current programme, this could be done with a representative number of pages from recent editions.

I feel, perhaps, that I am clutching at straws here. But anything's worth a go, right?

Also, again, if each programme was individually stamped, and a prize associated with it drawn at half time, perhaps that would add to the incentive.
Syd_Stone

Postby worruz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 am

attic wrote: it was a great read and one of which even younger fans would have surely found engaging.

Maybe we’d sell a few more programmes if the club hadn’t decided to fvck off loads of our younger fans for some bizarre reason but there you go.
worruz

Postby HammeredWasp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am

^^^^^^+1 ;)
HammeredWasp

Postby Pub cynic » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 am

Would it be possible to offer a subscription service ? Or do we already do this to some extent.
I know several pro clubs do and offer a slightly reduced rate for a one off subscription fee if paid pre season.

There must be many many lapsed fans who are unable to attend games for various reasons (health advancing years geography etc) that still take an interest in the clubs fortunes and would enjoy receiving this on a regular basis.
It may also rekindle interest in a few and encourage them to return to the Vale.

Some of those may still be on the clubs database,receive the monthly newsletter or be in contact with relatives or other fans who attend games.
An offer of this kind could also be publicised through the newsletter the actual program and when purchasing a season ticket
Some kind of early bird VIP deal possibly season ticket plus program and entry to team draw may be an option.
Pub cynic

Postby woodman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Fulham just won some award for programme of year and it's pretty good. But I don't buy it.
When I visit Stones I always buy a programme. I think you're probably the first (and only?) club to make an official programme get the balance between 'must have' bits and fanzine type content. A brilliant read every time for me - and that's as a non stone. Amazed any Stone wouldn't purchase it given the content.
Mind you, as a fanzine nerd I'd love to see you re-create EE (not the person)...recent weeks would be popcorn time!!
woodman

Postby Lanarkian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm

In my 40+ years of going to sports events, I cannot imagine not buying a programme for the event (where possible). I like the build-up of history and occasionally like looking back at long-forgotten events. The Wealdstone programmes are generally excellent and I like to buy the away programmes where possible as it is interesting to me to read about the opposition and to read their take on us.
Lanarkian

Next

Return to stonesnet forum