Personal statement from Peter Marsden

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Personal statement from Peter Marsden

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:16 pm

"he's coming home, he's coming, Gordon's coming home".
Keep up the good work lads!
Kettering punchbag.

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:19 pm

WfcGooner wrote:What a complete and utter shambles. Well, we got a statement, eh? Or two.

Ronnie wrote:Let's hope there's a Plan B. Also that BW is true to his word, and I'll quote - "If the chairman goes, I go, f*** the contract".

I know you have your opinion Ronnie and it's valued, of course. However, I would like to think that we need some stability somewhere at the moment and now would really not be a good time to change manager (unless to dramatically reduce a wage bill - not our choice). Who in their right mind would join the club at the moment? What would be the remit? Promotion (that we allegedly can't afford)? Squad changes (that again, we alleged can't afford....), etc, etc.

Stability will come first and foremost from managing our outgoings. The point I was making was if that BW was true to his word then he'd walk at no cost to the club. We'd be nuts to sack him given the ridiculous contract situation.

Like others, I thank PM for his generosity, I don't think for one moment he intended to screw us, for all intents and purposes it just appears he was happy to splash the cash without thinking beyond the day. Living in a dreamworld. But of course its a real world, heaven knows why he and the Board couldn't work together and why he made such big decisions - if true- off his own back. A shame, a missed opportunity that he couldn't have paired up with someone like Dominic rather than Archer to act as a sidekick/conscience/reality checker. And having seemingly acknowledged that he had made mistakes, gambled, that lessons had been learnt last season, its just carried on. Perhaps ironic that he feels that he has been excluded, ignored, treated badly after what has happened under his stewardship. All rather sad, and whilst Wealdstone always comes first, I wish him well.

Anyway, eagerly awaiting the Plan B substance.
Ronnie

Postby Stoney Ground » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Kettering punchbag. wrote:"he's coming home, he's coming, Gordon's coming home".
Keep up the good work lads!

The Raider is going to be chairman?
Stoney Ground

Postby TalkinStone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 pm

It is a shame that PM didn’t seem to trust any of a number of good people at the club who could have worked with him to deliver so much more.

Dominic, Nick S or Quentin are all sensible, trustworthy, and capable people (to name but a few) and having a strong ‘old school’ ally would have built trust in PM much quicker.
TalkinStone

Postby Stones_News » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 pm

A final personal statement from Peter Marsden:

"Just for the record the 4 directors who sacked me collectively own about 7% of the share capital which I think says volumes - and of these the vast majority belong to Nick Symmons.

I note Rory talks about U23 teams, directors of football and implying that more emphasis (i.e cost) will go in to commercial and community. Yes fine words and very noble but I suspect this will all cost the club an awful lot of money. Who will fund this ?

I don't think you will Rory - better to use OPM ('other people's money')

Rory I don't think you've physically bought (i.e paid for) a single Wealdstone share yet ? If you like I'll give you one of mine, I've still got 70,000 left."
Stones_News

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 pm

All a bit unsavoury.
Ronnie

Postby worruz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 pm

The whole saga is embarrassing our club
worruz

Postby worruz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Enfield Stones wrote:
The new Laural and Hardy film is out at the moment, their catchphrase ...'that's another fine mess' seems quite apt at the moment, not a great day for our beloved football club !

Good film, recommend!

Check out non footie related
worruz

Postby torben » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm

I think we need to be careful in our reaction to events and not to blame certain members of the board present and past. We need to move away from brexit style debate. In going forward we need a commercial attitude towards the development of a sustainable financial and inclusive board and club. In order to do this we need to respect all those that have contributed towards this club in our darker times as well as embracing those that wish to donate small and large amounts of money and time now. A business model needs not just a leader and a structure but a commercial approach that recognises those that bring in money via all means including performance pay. If a person brought in £100k then I would not begrudge them getting £10k of that. After all 90% of something is better than 100% of nothing which is what we have now. Thats good business. Reliance on one person to supply income is also is not sustainable. I do think, however, that clarity of information and reporting is needed. Bar talk, forum dirt throwing and rumours whilst the norm these social media days do not help us as a club and the only way to dispel them is communication by the board.

A spirit of recognition of club / board members who may put in money or skill is needed. Members contribute just as much in skill as money i.e. free legal and accounting advice, summer works programme. All contribute to creating an environment where we all muck in together. This is how we have got to where we are as a club. Let’s not fool ourselves in thinking that money in will match money out. I am sure that most clubs at our level work on a manageable deficit each year. We do need more income that’s true and this is a somewhat urgent matter but without a balanced board with skills from the past and present why would people or companies come and donate to our club as opposed to others. What makes us special?
torben

Postby Lanarkian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

We have not long to go until the Supporters Club and Wealdstone FC AGMs so I suspect there is where the questions should be asked and answered.
Lanarkian

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum