Bath City 1 Stones 3

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Bath City 1 Stones 3

Postby attic » Thu May 02, 2019 10:26 am

Where does last night rank in the club's 'greatest ever' matches?? Well I suppose if you were to draw a line after we left Lower Mead then definitely in the top 10. Obvious other contenders would include the Dulwich play off, The Cambridge and Billericay Trophy wins, the crowning at Margate to name but a few. Easy to forget about the Edgware days where the 6-0 win over Braintree and Thurrock Trophy win come to mind too. I think what makes last night special though is the fact we've been written off right until half time at the last last league game yet have bounced back with some real fighting qualities. The fact we managed to comfortably take over 300 fans to a midweek trip a fair distance away is also pretty damn special. There may also be the 'unification' factor to take into account too and that what has been a fairly fragmented club over the last year or so, both on terraces and official level has come together over a game of football.

However, wouldn't it be nice if we could surpass last night over the next week or so. Twice!
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby TalkinStone » Thu May 02, 2019 11:23 am

Absolutely tremendous night! Players, managers and supporters.

Was really concerned for Northy but glad to hear it may not be that bad. Who knows what team we can field on Sunday but it will be one hell of a game and you wouldn't bet against us.

We're two games from the Conference National!!!!

I agree we can take 500-600 to Woking, I hope we get the stand, not the open terrace down the side though.

Huge credit to Bobby for the way he's galvanised the players and turned this season around - he could have sulked and made excuses when there were changes to the amount of money available. I hope we can retain the core of this team and find some new faces to replace some inevitable departures.

UP there as one of the great games over the 10 or so years since we moved to Grosvenor Vale
TalkinStone

Postby worruz » Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm

TalkinStone wrote:Absolutely tremendous night! Players, managers and supporters.

Was really concerned for Northy but glad to hear it may not be that bad. Who knows what team we can field on Sunday but it will be one hell of a game and you wouldn't bet against us.

We're two games from the Conference National!!!!

I agree we can take 500-600 to Woking, I hope we get the stand, not the open terrace down the side though.

Huge credit to Bobby for the way he's galvanised the players and turned this season around - he could have sulked and made excuses when there were changes to the amount of money available. I hope we can retain the core of this team and find some new faces to replace some inevitable departures.

UP there as one of the great games over the 10 or so years since we moved to Grosvenor Vale

Shouldn't we get that terrace and a bit of the stand as well like we did for the league game?
worruz

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Favourite moment?

They had scored. North had been stretchered off. Feeling deflated with a sense of the inevitable.

A lone female voice starts "I don't care about boro........"

ends in a rousing Wealdstone FC. Team holds out sang home by the best supporters in non-league football.

Nice one Mim.
Waltons Left Boot

Postby Enfield Stones » Thu May 02, 2019 12:56 pm

Waltons Left Boot wrote:Favourite moment?

They had scored. North had been stretchered off. Feeling deflated with a sense of the inevitable.

A lone female voice starts "I don't care about boro........"

ends in a rousing Wealdstone FC. Team holds out sang home by the best supporters in non-league football.

Nice one Mim.

Great posting, we are lucky to have such a marvellous woman following the mighty Stones. Inspirational stuff especially as all the men(old fogies!) were all waiting for the equaliser to go in !!
Enfield Stones

Postby BillyByrneFan » Thu May 02, 2019 1:03 pm

Yes Worruz, I thought after we played them in the league there some of their support asked why we had that stand and that we should've just had the side. I mentioned it to Victor and all clubs must provide seats when segregated. So we'll get it but the stewards were fairly heavy handed last time and might try and enforce no standing or something, especially as there might be more of us this time.
BillyByrneFan

Postby timfparks » Thu May 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Excellent report on the game from the Bath angle. Not much more to add but what a fantastic, nerve shredding game of football. Huge respect to everyone with WFC tattooed on their heart.
As for the Woking pond life who celebrated Northy’s injury... what better incentive to fire up our walking wounded on Sunday?

City’s season came to end at the first play-off hurdle as they were defeated by Wealdstone in a highly charged encounter at Twerton Park. Ryan Brunt was shown a straight red card for a second half challenge on Stones’ goalkeeper Jonathan North and, despite putting the visitors’ defence under considerable pressure, a late strike by former Roman Dave Pratt finally sealed City’s fate.

With a vibrant atmosphere at ground provided by an attendance of 2,201 (including 323 visiting fans) it was Wealdstone who started the brighter of the two sides. Danny Green dragged a volley well wide of Ryan Clarke’s goal from distance in the 4th minute and, shortly afterwards, Freddie Hinds was too high with a similar effort at the other end.

Stefan Brown scuffed a shot straight at Clarke on 8 minutes but the away side were in front three minutes later. Jake Sheppard picked up an intended clearance by Anthony Straker and cut across the face of the box, before drilling a firm drive into the bottom corner of Clarke’s net.

The hosts gradually came more into the game and, on 20 minutes, Tom Smith’s cross field ball released Ross Stearn down the right, only for his fierce shot to be blocked around his near post by North. Jack Batten’s close-range effort from the resulting corner was cleared off the line by a defender.

Tom Smith saw his shot from 25 yards well saved low down by North as City continued to threaten, but Wealdstone still pushed forward when able. Sheppard broke through a couple of challenges on the edge of the home box, but lifted a hurried shot over Clarke’s bar.

The hosts came close again after 28 minutes when North produced another save to deny Stearn and, after a frantic goalmouth scramble, Tom Smith’s swiveling shot was brilliantly repelled by the busy keeper.

Green made progress down the left before his 36th minute low cross was turned wide of Clarke’s near post by Simon Mensah, who had earlier replaced ailing goalscorer Sheppard.

Frankie Artus was cautioned for a heavy tackle in midfield before Freddie Grant, having already floored Stearn with an over-zealous aerial challenge, was shown a yellow card for unceremoniously scything down the same player on the stroke of half time. The final act before the break was the introduction of Sean Rigg for the injured Artus.

The second period continued at the same frenetic pace and James Morton’s free kick in the 47th minute found the head of Robbie Cundy, but the defender was unable to exert any real power, and North was able to save comfortably. Straker then made good progress down the left before producing an inviting cross into the danger zone that narrowly eluded the onrushing Stearn.

Wealdstone continued to enjoy their fair share of possession, and Green found space for a shot at goal in the 59th minute but the ball flew straight into Clarke’s midriff. The pacey Jeffrey Monakana saw an effort deflected by a City defender for a corner on the hour mark but, three minutes later, the wideman took advantage of Stefan Brown’s ball in from the right to fire into the net at the far post, doubling his side’s lead in the process.

Christian Smith shot from distance on 68 minutes but was well wide of the target, and Jerry Gill then sought to inject fresh legs as Adam Mann replaced Stearn.

Bath pressed forward with renewed urgency but their task was to be made more difficult by events in the 74th minute. Joe Raynes slipped a pass through for Brunt to chase into the box, but North reached the ball first and was caught in the face by the forward’s sliding boot. The keeper lay prone on the floor and, having assessed the situation, the referee showed the Cityman a straight red card. North was clearly in trouble and it took six minutes for him to be stretched off the pitch, doing so to warm applause from the terraces. He was replaced by substitute goalkeeper Dylan Paterson.

Despite their numerical disadvantage, the hosts continued to put the Wealdstone defence under pressure and the arrears were reduced in the 82nd minute. Mann’s shot from distance took a wicked deflection off a defender, the ball looping over the desperately back peddling Paterson and into the net.

Sol Pryce came on for Rigg as City went in search of an equalizer and, with the referee indicating a minimum of 9 minutes stoppage time, the atmosphere intensified around the ground. Raynes’ cross into the area from the right was headed back across by Batten, but the ball was just out of Mann’s reach.

The killer blow arrived in the 5th minute of added time when a loose back-header put Clarke under pressure from Pratt. Agonisingly, the ball squirmed from the keeper’s grasp leaving the former City favourite with the simple task of finding the back the unguarded net, an act that sparked wild celebrations amongst the travelling fans at the Bristol end of the ground.

Whilst this was a massively disappointing result, there is little more that City could have done on the night. Wealdstone made the most of their chances and, at times, the ball did not fall kindly in front of goal for the home side, who were also denied a number of times by the outstanding North before his premature departure. It can only be hoped that the goalkeeper’s injuries are not too serious and that he makes a full and speedy recovery.

After the dust has finally settled, the season will undoubtedly be viewed as a success where good headway has been made, both on and off the pitch. An attractive and exciting brand of football, a place in the play-offs achieved and an impressive increase in attendances are all positives, and it appears that the foundations are in place to allow optimism that further progress is attainable next season.

Bath City: Ryan Clarke; Joe Raynes, Robbie Cundy, Jack Batten, Anthony Straker, Frankie Artus (Sean Rigg 45+3, Sol Pryce 88)), James Morton, Tom Smith, Ross Stearn (Adam Mann 69), Freddie Hinds, Ryan Brunt. Subs not used: Harvey Wiles-Richards, Dan Ball.

Wealdstone: Jonathan North (Dylan Paterson 79); Rhys Tyler, Freddie Grant, Connor Stevens, Jerome Okimo, Godfrey Poku, Jeffrey Monakana, Christian Smith, Stefan Brown (Dave Pratt 67), Danny Green, Jake Sheppard (Simon Mensah 36). Subs not used: James Clark, Jean-Paul Antwi.

Referee: Mr. Matthew Russell

Attendance: 2,201
timfparks

Postby FGW » Thu May 02, 2019 1:56 pm

FGW

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Thu May 02, 2019 3:39 pm

timfparks wrote:Frankie Artus was cautioned for a heavy tackle in midfield before Freddie Grant, having already floored Stearn with an over-zealous aerial challenge, was shown a yellow card for unceremoniously scything down the same player on the stroke of half time.

Wrong. Nobody was scythed down.

Pretty good report otherwise.

Hoping it was videoed as would love to see this moment as well as the other highlights.
Waltons Left Boot

Postby The Guvnor » Thu May 02, 2019 5:06 pm

One of the great nights in our history and one of the days when players, management and fans all come together to create an unstoppable force.

We have a way of playing away from home which is very effective, not necessarily great to watch but very hard to play against. Bath had the majority of possession but didn't create a great deal, we have a very physical shield in front of the back four and our defence has pace, power and no little nous which makes us hard to break down.

Up front once again we struggled and my only criticism last night was that we gave up cheap possession far too often which meant a bit more defending to do than I would have liked but as I say we were more than capable in handling it.

I thought Monakana was a great outlet for us and a well deserved goal topped off one of his better performances.

As for the major incidents I thought Grant was unlucky to get booked but I can see why the ref did so. He did fly in and maybe 30 years ago nobody gives it a second thought but nowadays in the Snowflake era you know players will demonstrate their amateur dramatic skills to try and get a decision and I don't think for one moment their player was hurt and of course once Grant was booked he was back up doing cartwheels and triple summersaults.

At 2-0 we were very comfortable but the sending off changed the dynamic of the game. We were just about to make our final substitution as Smith could hardly move when the incident happened. It looked nasty from our end and the players reaction told it all and of course Norfys injuries bear fruit to that. Luckily he seems to be ok but will miss Woking but has a momento of the evening with a nice mars bar on his boat courtesy of the Bath centre forward. Yes they went down to 10 but in effect we were as well due to Smith being a virtual passenger. But we'd lost our keeper, a very experienced one who was having a faultless game to be replaced by a 17 year old rookie thrown into the deep end.

All of a sudden the momentum went to them and on another day might have ended differently. To be fair to the young keeper he did nothing wrong and had no chance for their goal but it was touch and go until Pratty clinched it with a few minutes to go and finally knocked the stuffing out of them.

The fans more than did their bit, goals at the right time help of course and it could be said the opposite for the Bath crowd who started off fairly loud but the first goal killed it for them and the second almost silenced them. The noise levels from them went up once they got one back and laid siege to our goal but as I say that third did for them and as an away fan there is no finer sight than seeing a large home crowd pouring out of the exits before the end.

So a great win but its come at a cost with Norfy out for Sunday and half our team either off injured or limping. Perfect for Woking sitting at home with their feet up but they finished 2nd so they deserve an advantage. Who knows what sort of team we'll manage to put out but I wouldn't bet against them.
The Guvnor

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum