Woking 3-2 Stones

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Woking 3-2 Stones

Postby charlie » Sun May 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Superb performance from the bare bones squad, considering without natural starters North/Allarakhia and injured Smith.

Crystal ball for next season. Hat Trick of semi final defeats on the back of two Trophy semi defeats.

All we need is more investment to get past the Semi-Finals. Thats the nub of the situation.
charlie

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun May 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Heartbreaking. But it felt inevitable once they pulled that goal back with 12 mins to go. Fair play to Woking, absolutely toliet for 78 mins and then found another gear we just couldn't cope with. You get what you deserve so no complaints, just horrible thoughts of what might have been.

Officially 610 travelling Stones in a crowd of 3,000 but probably more than that in a crowd that looked closer to 4,000. At 2-0 I looked around at the faces in that stand and no-one will ever convince me that this club shouldn't go up. You can put all the reasonable reasons you want in the way, but every single soul backing the Stones there today wanted to get promoted. It's what football is all about.

We've got some great people invovled on the board and rightly the focus shifts to them to put the ingredients in place to retain the nucleus of our side and back Bobby with what he needs to strengthen it. We have momentum and we need to build on it. I want more nights like Bath away, more days like today, more opportunities to take on the big clubs and see the Stones at the highest level possible. If it means supporters digging deep to help, then tell us what is needed - ASAP.

Hopes for next season? We retain our most important personnel, we average over 1,000, we push on on the pitch and reach the National League. This club and it's supporters deserve to be on the biggest stage in non-league football.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby worruz » Sun May 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Elmslie Ender wrote:Much talk on their forum of their player being "miles offside" presumably for the winner.

I thought it was off but I wasn’t in a good position.

We’d have probably lost in ET anyway.
worruz

Postby worruz » Sun May 05, 2019 6:34 pm

BornundertheElmslie wrote:Heartbreaking. But it felt inevitable once they pulled that goal back with 12 mins to go. Fair play to Woking, absolutely toliet for 78 mins and then found another gear we just couldn't cope with. You get what you deserve so no complaints, just horrible thoughts of what might have been.

Officially 610 travelling Stones in a crowd of 3,000 but probably more than that in a crowd that looked closer to 4,000. At 2-0 I looked around at the faces in that stand and no-one will ever convince me that this club shouldn't go up. You can put all the reasonable reasons you want in the way, but every single soul backing the Stones there today wanted to get promoted. It's what football is all about.

We've got some great people invovled on the board and rightly the focus shifts to them to put the ingredients in place to retain the nucleus of our side and back Bobby with what he needs to strengthen it. We have momentum and we need to build on it. I want more nights like Bath away, more days like today, more opportunities to take on the big clubs and see the Stones at the highest level possible. If it means supporters digging deep to help, then tell us what is needed - ASAP.

Hopes for next season? We retain our most important personnel, we average over 1,000, we push on on the pitch and reach the National League. This club and it's supporters deserve to be on the biggest stage in non-league football.

Well said on all counts.

Every time we have a big game like this it leaves me wanting more.
worruz

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun May 05, 2019 6:52 pm

..and a very poignant interview from BW post match that is worth a listen. Thanks Peter Marsden for backing him, but when asked about when pre-season starts he says it starts when he's convinced the board's ambition matches his. Some good conversations but needs to be convinced the board want to go one step further. These next few weeks are critical, do not let all this hard work on the pitch be in vain.
Last edited by BornundertheElmslie on Sun May 05, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby The Guvnor » Sun May 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Fatigue was definitely the biggest factor today because Woking had run out of ideas and were going nowhere fast before their first goal. After that it was just a matter of whether we could hold out because we were spent as an attacking force. Yes, the game at Bath took its toll but thats what happens when you finish 7th, all very well celebrating but you have that extra game and on this occasion it told. Plenty to be optimistic about and as always the Summer is all about recruitment. That will tell us a lot as to which way we are heading as a club.
The Guvnor

Postby Elmslie Ender » Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm

BornundertheElmslie wrote:..and a very poignant interview from BW post match that is worth a listen. When asked about when pre-season starts, he says it starts when he's convinced the board's ambition matches his. Some good conversations but needs to be convinced the board want to go one step further. These next few weeks are critical, do not let all this hard work on the pitch be in vain.

He clearly needs to have a competitive budget and his stock will be high due to our run into the play-offs. Presumably decisions need to be made quick or you run the risk of losing your star men.
Elmslie Ender

Postby Elmslie Ender » Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 pm

worruz wrote:
BornundertheElmslie wrote:Heartbreaking. But it felt inevitable once they pulled that goal back with 12 mins to go. Fair play to Woking, absolutely toliet for 78 mins and then found another gear we just couldn't cope with. You get what you deserve so no complaints, just horrible thoughts of what might have been.

Well said on all counts.

Every time we have a big game like this it leaves me wanting more.

It wasn't long again that taking 250 people to an away game was something else. We are now capable taking 600+ to a big game.
Elmslie Ender

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Elmslie Ender wrote:
BornundertheElmslie wrote:..and a very poignant interview from BW post match that is worth a listen. When asked about when pre-season starts, he says it starts when he's convinced the board's ambition matches his. Some good conversations but needs to be convinced the board want to go one step further. These next few weeks are critical, do not let all this hard work on the pitch be in vain.

He clearly needs to have a competitive budget and his stock will be high due to our run into the play-offs. Presumably decisions need to be made quick or you run the risk of losing your star men.

And if he goes because the board can't provide it, forget about getting a top replacement in. That will be a very damaging message. Massive few weeks ahead.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby attic » Sun May 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Honest as ever. I think some of our fans partially forget what actually brings togetherness at Wealdstone. Its the BIG GAMES which gets everyone together. Its those occasions where we are pushed to the limit and triumph in front of large audiences. Even when we fall short, ie today and at Torquay there is still a feeling of togetherness that can't be broken.

We need those big games, we need the wins. We also need everyone on the board to aspire to that. BW's comments may be dismissed by some but without doubt they do add an angle on what's going on behind the scenes. I really hope Rory and co can match the manager's vision for next season. I would not like to be in any of the Directors shoes if the next few weeks don't go well. Just remember though gents, there are countless fans here willing to help out too. We may not be able to get anywhere near the 'Marsden bucks' but every little bit helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum