Wilkinson gone

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Wilkinson gone

Postby Elmslie Ender » Fri May 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Stoney Ground wrote:
timfparks wrote:Interesting to see where bobby pops up next - he stick to his guns but is not daft enough to walk out on a year’s money without having been offered a job elsewhere. Personally, I hope we advertise quickly and effectively. Shame that the ex-Concord management team (Sammy Moore & co) went to a hemel as they are exactly the type of young and exciting motivators we need. I’d hope Richard Johnson will be involved too in the appointment as we need someone with local knowledge and contacts - not just the M4 corridor.
I liked Bobby’s energy and single mindedness but he had his limitations. Exciting few weeks ahead.

Not sure that Sammy Moore would have been the answer with the comments coming from the Concord Chairman.

My view is aim for the best we can get but look at local managers that are improving year on year, such as James Duncan and Michael Murray understand the local scene, worked with young players for the last 5 or so years and are good coaches.

We don’t need a big name that promises the world but a structure that builds the club through youth and progressive coaching.

The Kings Langley duo took their team to the verge of the play-offs in the division below and left because they wanted a larger budget.
Elmslie Ender

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Fri May 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Stoney Ground wrote:
Kettering punchbag. wrote:Snakes really make their presence known when the fight is over and they can smell their prey.
How about we just thank him and his staff and wish him well for his next position?

Yep, good luck on your new position and all your team, other than when you face Wealdstone.

Who are these snakes, I have questioned BW on various occasions and felt he wasted a good budget. Once it got reigned in he got a hell of a tune with the orchestra he was left with.

I invariably judge managers on the players they sign, and all sign duds but some sign gems. But also on how players improve under a manager.

BW has signed some good players, Conner, Godfrey and Christian stand out as does Freddie.But he has signed some high profile signings Dave Pratt, Bradley Bubb our two main strikers coming in to this season. Neither realised there potential Bradley wasn’t even a starter early on this season, and signing a striker on loan pre season rings alarm bells, as Joe White had already shown his ability at this level

In truth Bobby had one season at this level after progressing from the Hellenic league, Peter Marsden obviously felt he saw something there. And gave him an opportunity with the biggest budget we have ever had, yes we we reached the Trophy semi final. But the vast majority of that team weren’t his, look at the side that played at Billericay and the difference was the late signing of Bradley Bubb. So to claim he reached an FA Trophy semi final, yet the league position wasn’t his is a bit rich.

I felt he did a great job since Xmas, but prior to that we were just above average.

We are Wealdstone, we will move on.

I think most observers will have an opinion as to who they are SG.
lets see when the truth comes out.some of the comments on twitter tell their own story.
Strangely silent from some of his other critics.they could learn from you.
Kettering punchbag.

Postby breakspear stones » Fri May 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Bowgetstone wrote:
worruz wrote:
Bowgetstone wrote:Noticeable how many players have resigned on the day Wilkinson leaves. The atmosphere at the club has been dreadful during his reign. Good riddance I say. Hopefully we’ll get a manager who will treat the players with respect , and regain the team spirit we had under GB.

Team spirit?

Are you being serious?

Did you see that Cup Final against a team two divisions lower than us two years ago?

Absolutely shocking. The players looked like they'd met each other for the 1st time in the car park 30 minutes before kick off.

I knew we'd get into this GB v BW nonsense before too long.

Are you judging GB on the basis of one game? All I’m saying is under Wilkinson the team spirit, and the general atmosphere around the club was dreadful.

You mean there was no room for hangers on cadging free lifts on the players coach under Bobby Wilkinson

GS strikes again, more faces then Big Ben
breakspear stones

Postby breakspear stones » Fri May 10, 2019 9:42 pm

timfparks wrote:Interesting to see where bobby pops up next - he stick to his guns but is not daft enough to walk out on a year’s money without having been offered a job elsewhere. Personally, I hope we advertise quickly and effectively. Shame that the ex-Concord management team (Sammy Moore & co) went to a hemel as they are exactly the type of young and exciting motivators we need. I’d hope Richard Johnson will be involved too in the appointment as we need someone with local knowledge and contacts - not just the M4 corridor.
I liked Bobby’s energy and single mindedness but he had his limitations. Exciting few weeks ahead.

Richard who ?
breakspear stones

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Fri May 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Elmslie Ender wrote:
Stoney Ground wrote:

Not sure that Sammy Moore would have been the answer with the comments coming from the Concord Chairman.

My view is aim for the best we can get but look at local managers that are improving year on year, such as James Duncan and Michael Murray understand the local scene, worked with young players for the last 5 or so years and are good coaches.

We don’t need a big name that promises the world but a structure that builds the club through youth and progressive coaching.

The Kings Langley duo took their team to the verge of the play-offs in the division below and left because they wanted a larger budget.

Paul Hughes at Hayes & Yeading also fits in this category. Took Kings Langley through the pyramid and led Hayes to the title this season.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby The Guvnor » Fri May 10, 2019 9:57 pm

To be honest I've been expecting this day from about the 4th week of BW's tenure such has been the strained relationship between him and the board and a lot of fans. He was never going to be a long term manager and I'm quite surprised its taken this long. Whatever the reasons are you can bet your life if it was a manager the board wanted they would probably have overlooked whatever misdemeanour they've unearthed so I'm quite certain they didn't view him as the future.

I know we finished in a play off spot but from a personal view the season just gone has been my least enjoyable for many years especially at home and I had no intention of renewing my season ticket next year. Am I expecting too much ? Perhaps but I've been going a long time and I just gave up going to home games because firstly we were generally awful and secondly the atmosphere around the club was toxic beyond belief. I don't think it was any one persons fault but more to do with the fact that BW was probably not a good fit for us and of course the boardroom shenanigans did not help.

So another new era down the stones and of course as fans its always an exciting time as you just don't know whats around the corner. The next manager could be the man who is able to bring success to the club by playing entertaining football or it may be a disaster. Its the unknown so the board need to be on the money here and of course money is the optimum word. All well speculating on the next manager but the quality we can attract will depend a lot on what we have to offer. I reckon we are a coveted job and plenty will be interested but the right candidate is not coming if we offer peanuts. In fact I would say the board really need to find the cash required or risk appointing a 3rd or 4th choice.

It will be interesting to see what happens if BW gets another job and tries to take players to see which ones actually go. That will tell me an awful lot.
The Guvnor

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Fri May 10, 2019 10:33 pm

The Guvnor wrote:To be honest I've been expecting this day from about the 4th week of BW's tenure such has been the strained relationship between him and the board and a lot of fans. He was never going to be a long term manager and I'm quite surprised its taken this long. Whatever the reasons are you can bet your life if it was a manager the board wanted they would probably have overlooked whatever misdemeanour they've unearthed so I'm quite certain they didn't view him as the future.

I know we finished in a play off spot but from a personal view the season just gone has been my least enjoyable for many years especially at home and I had no intention of renewing my season ticket next year. Am I expecting too much ? Perhaps but I've been going a long time and I just gave up going to home games because firstly we were generally awful and secondly the atmosphere around the club was toxic beyond belief. I don't think it was any one persons fault but more to do with the fact that BW was probably not a good fit for us and of course the boardroom shenanigans did not help.

So another new era down the stones and of course as fans its always an exciting time as you just don't know whats around the corner. The next manager could be the man who is able to bring success to the club by playing entertaining football or it may be a disaster. Its the unknown so the board need to be on the money here and of course money is the optimum word. All well speculating on the next manager but the quality we can attract will depend a lot on what we have to offer. I reckon we are a coveted job and plenty will be interested but the right candidate is not coming if we offer peanuts. In fact I would say the board really need to find the cash required or risk appointing a 3rd or 4th choice.

It will be interesting to see what happens if BW gets another job and tries to take players to see which ones actually go. That will tell me an awful lot.

Bradley Bubb has tweeted tonight he is highly unlikely to re-sign now Bobby has gone, and that the rest of the team will also likely disperse.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby The Guvnor » Fri May 10, 2019 10:46 pm

BornundertheElmslie wrote:Bradley Bubb has tweeted tonight he is highly unlikely to re-sign now Bobby has gone, and that the rest of the team will also likely disperse.

Well lets see, but players and managers come and go, thats football, you should never get too attached, its not as if we have Messi and Ronaldo in our ranks.

And footballers are fickle as we know, kissing the badge one week and telling anyone and everyone that they've always wanted to play for their club and then leaving a week later for an extra £50.

The club comes first, always has and always will.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Fri May 10, 2019 11:33 pm

I'd rather a 'name' personally. My mandate is for a manager who can get us into play offs regularly and hopefully get us promoted. I want those big games with big crowds to become the normal. As I said on twitter, Wealdstone is my only club so I want to see them play at the highest level possible. Yes, the club overall is important but I don't want to become the club with the best reserve team, the best u-18s, the best beer on tap etc etc but with a first team plying mid table the Rymans league.

As for players leaving...inevitable really. They can all be replaced though.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby kwilks » Fri May 10, 2019 11:47 pm

Not surprised. Thought relations were always strained although BW did his best to get involved with the fans.
Reflecting back on the season on the pitch, I disagree that it all went well since new years. Despite the early year unbeaten run, there were some truly awful performances during and since then, especially at home as the Guvnor has alluded to. To me there were some major tactical issues throughout, which up until the play offs, made us looked doomed to mid table mediocrity. Much of that centred around a misguided long ball game, which appears to have been a disease lingering around the Vale for some years now, spanning back to the latter part of GBs reign in all fairness. Do we REALLY think that long balls to a lone, short striker against tall CBs in this league, is any sort of basis for an attack on the oppo in NSL? I've been scratching my head on this one since Jeff Louis left the club.

However, since half time in the Hemel game, Bobby has managed to drag an inner fight and seemingly battle hardened team through two further play off games, to produce 2 fantastic performances that will live long in the memory of most Stones fans who witnessed these games.

Despite the final outcome at Woking, why is it that he managed to get the very best out of these players in those 2 consecutive games, which were the complete opposite to MANY performances we have seen since the start of the season, let alone new year? Did the players only smell the coffee when they realised they may be in the shop window? Maybe Bobby only truly learned about some of these players at the final whistle at Woking. Beyond all of this, I'm delighted to have seen 4 of our top players sign on for next season.

Yes we made the play offs and that was the target at the start of the season, but it seems to have been a roller coaster of a ride to get there. Maybe who gives a shit. On merit, that should not have seen us finish in 7th position. Bobby will point to a similar position he finished in with Hungerford before, and this will not have been missed by the Aldershot heriachy looking at his final league placings and play off games just gone. Great PR and good luck to him in future endeavours.

But....I can't help but think that the next managerial appointment should be about that person's football playing philosophy as a major contributory factor, combined with retaining/recruiting brute strength in key areas of the field. These elements CAN be combined at this level, to the point that management, board and fans can realistically view the club as potential champions of the NSL, not just play off hopefulls. Aim higher and see what can be achieved.

Yes, many will harp on about the budget to get there, but this really isn't all about money in isolation. We've seen this with the teams finishing above and just below us in the league, some punching well above their weight with lesser financial resource. Money alone can't be allowed to dominate these forum pages, it's getting boring.

I'm forever a fan of this great club of ours....UTS! Onwards and upwards for the future....
kwilks

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum