Playing B and U23 League Teams

For all things Wealdstone FC

Playing B and U23 League Teams

Postby megaphone » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:16 pm

Maybe it is just me but think this should be reviewed next year.

I wasn't at the Brentford B game but was told they were as bad or even worse than the U23 side Watford sent. It isn't as if these sides attract their own supporters to boost the gate either.

If DB and 'Maynard' (seems to be his nickname weirdly) don't get us promoted then next pre season I would prefer our home games to be against either Conference National or Conference North sides. At least they would be competitive and not the stroll these two games were.
megaphone

Re: Playing B and U23 League Teams

Postby BillyByrneFan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:49 pm

With DB's contacts at Luton I wouldn't be surprised to see them down at The Vale next pre-season, if they stay. They played at Welwyn Garden City and Bedford Town this year, which are probably regulars but they went all the way down to Basingstoke Town too.
BillyByrneFan

Re: Playing B and U23 League Teams

Postby attic » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:03 pm

From a footballing point if view I tend to agree. The majority of the players that turn up tend to be the real rats and mice who are probably on their way down. Dare I say anybody young with a future is on tour with the first team.

I guess the initial footballing benefit of these games is for the professional clubs who can gauge their players against big, robust semi pro footballers. However there are surely residual benefits that head our way in time. By maintaining a relationship with these pro clubs the possibility of loan players becomes a far easier process if we have a healthy relationship with them?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Return to stonesnet forum