Stones 4 Dartford 1

For all things Wealdstone FC

Stones 4 Dartford 1

Postby megaphone » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Good start to the season. Ironically we were better in the first half, missed a few chances and got caught by a sucker punch just before half time.

Second half saw Darts dominate and pass better for 20 minutes but some brave substitutions put us back on the front foot. We took the lead with an own goal and never looked back. Two more goals sealed a comfortable win even if the score flattered us. I'll take it though.
megaphone

Re: Stones 4 Dartford 1

Postby timfparks » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:56 pm

Ah the agonies of twitter. Had to go and do a bit of snorkelling at 1-1 and was a very happy bunny at 5.55 local time (despite being stung by a jellyfish). I’ll take that pain again for the same result at Dulwich on Tuesday. Good crowd too: 930. Maybe a lot of kids as that was about 200 above my estimate pre-match.
Negativity Mr Williams? Not from me!
timfparks

Postby charlie » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Enjoy Love Island Mr. Parks....... Dennon Lewis great turn of speed when he came on and helped turn the tide Stones way.. plus Ross Lafayette a constant threat.
Just like last season its a 4.1 start. Mass exodus of Darts fans at 3.1 down.. reminds me of last season at the Vale.

The tide is turning ?
charlie

Postby kwilks » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:21 pm

Great start even if the scoreline flattered us a little.

I like the demands Dean made of the team to play the ball on the deck from the back and through midfield . He's signed some really good ball players to fit in that mould of playing and it was really refreshing to see the departure of the long ball hit and hope game that has been played at the Vale for far too long. Having said that i'm not convinced of the combination of the starting 3 in the middle of the park and no doubt that may need working on in terms of player combination selections.. Smith didn't look fit enough and Philips hardly showed why he was Maidstones player of the year last season, and I would rather have seen Danny in there as he's our most talented central midfielder, and perhaps put love island boy on the flank from the start. Dennon is a very tricky winger and I think we may see some great stuff from him this season. Danny is wasted out wide.

Great that we've retained Connor Stevens and Jerome at CB, because although we may get caught out at the back on occasions, they give us a pretty secure platform to start the season. Connor in particular was magnificent throughout, he won everything in the air, especially against their elbow wielding CF, and his superb headed goal secured him as man of the match in my opinion.

Ross Lafayette was also superb and lead the line brilliantly showing his undoubted experience, and fully deserved his two goals. I think he can be better than Jefferson Louis, much more mobile and alive to most situations, holds the ball up well and can shoot with both feet. All the attributes you would want in a centre forward. The young Norwich keeper is also worth a mention as he pulled off a couple of terrific saves and his distribution was excellent, great that we have him on loan until the end of the year.

Yes we'll have sterner tests to come than what I thought was a poor Dartford performance, but there were some really good signs that when this newly assembled squad gels in the coming months, that we could be on for a good season. It's essential that we win these sorts of games at home and properly target victories in at least two thirds of our home games.

Up the stones!
kwilks

Postby attic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Excellent outcome today and the sort of start which will have others sitting up and taking notice. Definitely a different look and feel to our play today. More attacking intent and definitely more football being played on the deck. Agree with the previous posting though that we did look a little overpowered and over ran in the middle of the park once Dartford started to get on top. Maybe this will be a natural consequence of our change of style. However, kudos to the manager who's substitutions were very attack minded. This had the effect of pushing Dartford onto the back foot and we capitalised fairly quickly from here on. Some great forward play from Ross Lafayette throughout the game too. Strong, a hint of pace and scored two goals too. Definitely think there's a place in the team for Jake Shepherd who adds some muscle and drive to the side. Thought the new keeper did pretty well and it may not be a straight forward walk back into the side for Northy once he's fit.

So a decent start even if the scoreline flattered us a tad and we go to Dulwich with real confidence.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Tonyd » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Beg to differ re North, when he’s fit he’ll come back in to the team in my opinion. Positive start to the season, especially when you consider that it’s a newly assembled team. Lafayette and Stevens were outstanding but all played well. Clifford can do even better mind and it’s a toss up whether Watt or Lewis/Mendy start the next game. Pace away from home may be better, so Lewis for me

Nice start though and a decent crowd too
Tonyd

Postby Tonyd » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:47 pm

And I’d have to disagree with an earlier post that Dartford are poor. They won’t win this league but I’d be surprised if they won’t be competing for a play off place.. typically dartford, big and strong and they’ll be up in the top half. That makes the win even better
Tonyd

Postby John Young » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Personally didn’t think scoreline flattered us. Missed several good chances first half, their keeper made some good save and a goal line clearance. Agree 2nd half they had a 20 minute spell however always felt if we scored again we would get 2. Could have been one of those days that in the end we could have had 5-6. Not getting carried away after one game , but a good positive start. Dulwich will be another test Tuesday, if we can tighten up midfield a bit and play the attacking style we played today then we should come away with something Tuesday.
Don’t think many fans would have thought today would be 4-1, so let’s be positive and cheer the team on
John Young

Postby attic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Tonyd wrote:And I’d have to disagree with an earlier post that Dartford are poor. They won’t win this league but I’d be surprised if they won’t be competing for a play off place.. typically dartford, big and strong and they’ll be up in the top half. That makes the win even better

Agreed. They were missing a few players but have made some fairly decent signings late on.

Another positive today was the size of the crowd. Given as 930 odd wasn't it?? Just need to make a bit more noise although hopefully a few more performances like today will help liven things up a bit.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:00 am

Didn't go yesterday but I get the impression from afar that the manager is trying to accommodate too many central midfield players. From my pre season observations Danny Green was our best player and was pulling the strings and yet I hear he was played out wide yesterday, apologies if that wasn't the case. But if true it doesn't make sense. I wasn't particularly impressed with Connor Smith either pre season and it would seem it was an area yesterday where they got on top a bit. Similarly Sanchez Watt did bugger all pre season and yet started yesterday, whereas Dennon Lewis who I thought always looked a threat in the Summer ( apart from when he was on Love Island) was left on the bench. A great start result wise of course, but its only one game. Keep playing players on reputation and not form will soon see that change.

UTS
The Guvnor

Next

Return to stonesnet forum