Hamlet 1 Stones 0

For all things Wealdstone FC

Hamlet 1 Stones 0

Postby megaphone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 pm

Undone by another set piece. We were the better team in the first half, but did nothing in the second. Their keeper had little to do throughout. Effort there if a little headless chicken type. Too quick and no-one to put his foot on the ball and slow the game down. No complaints, poor on the night against a limited side and we deserved nothing from the game. We need to learn quickly before Saturday.
megaphone

Re: Hamlet 1 Stones 0

Postby timfparks » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 pm

megaphone wrote:Undone by another set piece. We were the better team in the first half, but did nothing in the second. Their keeper had little to do throughout. Effort there if a little headless chicken type. Too quick and no-one to put his foot on the ball and slow the game down. No complaints, poor on the night against a limited side and we deserved nothing from the game. We need to learn quickly before Saturday.

From the Dulwich fans forum: ‘That was a bloody good performance against a strong and skilled Wealdstone’.
timfparks

Postby attic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 pm

I'd actually say Dulwich weren't a bad side at all. Strong, organised and winning the majority of headers. In fact they were the classic blueprint of what it takes to do well in this division. They realised we didn't offer much of a threat and simply soaked up the pressure in the second half. I think they will be there or there abouts at the end of the season. We on the other hand were a bit infuriating tonight. Cannot fault the desire or work rate at all, but we made too many poor decisions in promising positions. With the large influx of players its also going to be a learning curve for DB and I think the last two games may have started to reveal a few players who at present aren't contributing enough. I believe those hooked were the same players hooked on Saturday?? It may well be time for a couple of changes to the starting line up as we seek to get the balance right. Last season we were probably too agricultural in our approach, this season we have shown signs of overplaying a bit, so I think we may have to reach a compromise somewhere. Not the worst performance I've seen from a Stones team by any marker and we will probably play worse and win this season.

I'd say Lewis needs to come in and probably Shepherd too. The latter especially in my opinion is potentially our best midfielder.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 pm

I felt we started with the wrong side and the fact that exactly the same 3 players that were substituted on Saturday were taken off again tonight speaks volumes. We looked the better side for most of the game but the cutting edge was missing and the longer the game went on the more clueless and desperate we became. Lewis looked a danger as he always does when he came on and I just can't understand why he's not starting. DB will have to look at that centre midfield and make changes because it just isn't working, Clifford just doesn't look as though he's cut out for this level and Connor Smith looks a bit of a plodder right now. Not sure how good Hamlet really were, they got the goal and especially in the 2nd half just sat back and asked the question as to what we could do. Not a lot was the answer, but they were well organised to be fair and we played into the hands a bit.

Still plenty of tinkering for DB to do.
The Guvnor

Postby charlie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Thought Billy Clifford was running the show. Excellent performance ,No wonder he seemed surprised when taken off .

So much possession tonight.. but totally toothless up front sadly. DB needs another forward to add to the squad.
charlie

Postby TwoToneStone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:27 pm

Whilst largely frustrating at times I didn't think we were bad value for a draw. Not much in it at all

By the way what a farce of a ground to get into. 4 turnstiles and only 1 taking cash. Absolutely ridiculous.
TwoToneStone

Postby breakspear stones » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 pm

TwoToneStone wrote:Whilst largely frustrating at times I didn't think we were bad value for a draw. Not much in it at all

By the way what a farce of a ground to get into. 4 turnstiles and only 1 taking cash. Absolutely ridiculous.

I found it easy enough paying with my contactless card
breakspear stones

Postby TalkinStone » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 am

A tough opening couple of games with lots of new players to bed in and find the right balance.

Could have got a point last night but it does feel we need to be careful not to become over reliant on Ross, the midfield need to score goals. I’d like to see Dennon and Mendy-Mendy get more time to show what they can do with their lace.

Ultimately it’s a young and I assume much cheaper side than last season so expectations need to be sensible but if DB gets it right and we can find another goal scorer then we can hopefully have a good season.

Let’s see what the next 2 games bring, Dartford and Dulwich will both have play off aspirations.
TalkinStone

Postby John Young » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 am

I thought we dominated the first 15 minutes, just like Saturday the only difference was we didn’t score. Dulwich threw themselves in front of every shot and keeper made 2-3 decent saves. Thought we deserved a point. Dulwich did appear to have half a basketball team playing for them , so set pieces were going to be dangerous.
I agree that Lewis and Sheppard need to start next game and put Green behind Ross not out on the wing where he is wasted. 3 points which could have been 4 from 2 tough games is ok from a newly assembled team. We do need a back up for Ross or a partner. So far entertaining and at least we are trying to shoot more often than last season.
John Young

Postby BKK » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:06 am

Sounds to me like we have lost some of the hard learnt necessity of physicality that was described as 'ugly' last season. Indeed Smith and Monakana were very effective for Dulwich from all accounts. We need a Poku equivalent in midfield that was the difference in comptetitiveness. Probably ain't gonna happen..

You can't have it all ways. Looking forward to catching a game this Saturday UTS
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
BKK

Next

Return to stonesnet forum