Hamlet 1 Stones 0

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Hamlet 1 Stones 0

Postby Elmslie Ender » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 pm

The Guvnor wrote:
Elmslie Ender wrote:Academy keepers are notoriously poor at coming for and claiming crosses.

Oxborough is not in the Norwich Academy, he is 21 a professional and their 3rd choice.

I thought he took some good crosses under pressure last night and their goal was absolutely not his fault.

Whoever was marking their centre back last night lost him and then just to show we learned our lesson the same thing happened about 10 minutes later but we got away with it that time.

Dont confuse Oxborough with Readings 14th choice keeper.

The general principle applies for those that were brought up in the academy system. How many pro keepers actually come and claim the ball nowadays?
Elmslie Ender

Postby Big Phil » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm

Agree with most that was said.Could not understand why we started without 2 of Shepherd,Lewis and Mendy Mendy.Thought we played well in the first half and unlucky to be behind.Second half was quite a let down by both sides and we especially lost our way in the last 20 mins with stray passing and what we dont do best in hoofing the ball.Contrary to a couple of peoples opinions I thought Clifford and Arnold had decent games.The team did look tired towards the end though.Dulwich were not better than us but knew how to frustrate us.What really annoyed me was only into the second game of the season and Dulwich spent all the second half trying to timewaste at every opportunity,even the manager and his staff.Come on Dulwich,you are better than that.All the more annoying that we did not score.Anyway back to the drawing board on Saturday.Hopefully we will not be the first team to concede points against Braintree.No pressure there then.
Big Phil

Postby Big Phil » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm

breakspear stones wrote:
TwoToneStone wrote:Whilst largely frustrating at times I didn't think we were bad value for a draw. Not much in it at all

By the way what a farce of a ground to get into. 4 turnstiles and only 1 taking cash. Absolutely ridiculous.

I found it easy enough paying with my contactless card

Thats all right until it starts being used elsewhere :D
Big Phil

Postby Lanarkian » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:36 pm

Not desperately impressed by the Dulwich ground. A mini-pub crawl in the area slightly overran so we ended up in a horrendous queue to get into the ground and consequently missed what turned out to be the only goal. As I had left my phone at home I had no way of knowing the team sheets until I got home. I thought we played well in the 65 minutes I actually saw and I feel that we might have shaded a draw. The PA wasn't great and not having an electronic scoreboard wasn't great either.
Lanarkian

Postby worruz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Lanarkian wrote:Not desperately impressed by the Dulwich ground. A mini-pub crawl in the area slightly overran so we ended up in a horrendous queue to get into the ground and consequently missed what turned out to be the only goal. As I had left my phone at home I had no way of knowing the team sheets until I got home. I thought we played well in the 65 minutes I actually saw and I feel that we might have shaded a draw. The PA wasn't great and not having an electronic scoreboard wasn't great either.

When they scored the PA was deafening for the announcement of the scorer.
At half time they played good music but you needed an ear trumpet to hear it. Very strange.
worruz

Postby Stoneage » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Lanarkian wrote:Not desperately impressed by the Dulwich ground. A mini-pub crawl in the area slightly overran so we ended up in a horrendous queue to get into the ground and consequently missed what turned out to be the only goal. As I had left my phone at home I had no way of knowing the team sheets until I got home. I thought we played well in the 65 minutes I actually saw and I feel that we might have shaded a draw. The PA wasn't great and not having an electronic scoreboard wasn't great either.

They were giving out team sheets just past the programme seller table - still had some at kick off and plenty of programmes.
Stoneage

Postby attic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Interesting interview from DB. Wasn't overly concerned with the goal conceded but more critical of our attacking play. Its a very fair point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDjrHmhmR8
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Given what we saw pre-season the performances in the league shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Some positives mixed with plenty of things to work on. Could have easily been 2 draws, we have 3 points, all in all happy with the way things are moving.
Ronnie

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 am

Agree that there are far more positives than negatives and with tinkering I think there is a decent side amongst the squad, DB just has to find it.

I like the fact DB is looking at the attacking side of our game because with the amount of ball we had in the final third we should have made their keeper work harder.

However you can't afford to neglect the defensive side because you can't always rely on scoring. It will be interesting to see what happened with the Dulwich goal but having watched the Dartford goal several times its probably no surprise we conceded from a set piece.

The Dartford player ran past 3 defenders, none of them were looking at him, all watching the ball, nobody tried to block his run. Alan Hansen would have had a field day, its the sort of thing you'd expect to see in an under 15 game. All well and good being attack minded but if you haven't sorted out the basics then you'll always be chasing the game and we saw how hard that was at Dulwich when they decided to just shut up shop.
The Guvnor

Postby BillyByrneFan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am

worruz wrote:Thought we were much the better side until we concede. Good possession and almost but not quite producing goal scoring chances.
Need to get more men around Ross when we're on top.

Disappointing goal to concede. Good attack them a sloppy pass from Green, they break and get a corner from which they scored.

Second half we were nowhere near as good although we should have scored near the end. My first game since Woking so I don't know most of these players.
I was fairly impressed with what I saw and we'll need patience. I think we'll progress and a play off place should be targeted again in my opinion.

As an aside they have a good set up with bars at both ends selling food and drink as well as a clubhouse. Have to say best looking female non-league fan base I've ever seen as well.
Clubhouse bar staff decent also. Had to be said.

I'm sure the Dulwich fans would find your sexist comments offensive Pete, you never even mentioned one or two of their male fans mincing around with make-up. :roll:
BillyByrneFan

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum