Braintree T (A) - 10 Aug

For all things Wealdstone FC

Braintree T (A) - 10 Aug

Postby FGW » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:41 am

So, will the management team 'tweak' the starting eleven after Tuesday night's defeat at Dulwich?

Whatever the line-up I go for a narrow win by a single second half goal..

I will be 'missing' (again) as I need to be local for an event in the evening with Mrs H - may be tempted to take-in W-S-M v Hendon...
FGW

Re: Braintree T (A) - 10 Aug

Postby attic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 am

Definitely an away game that doesn't really get the juices flowing. Maybe its because its a hark back to our Ryman league days or maybe because its just Essex that it doesn't seem to have much appeal. Still, easy to get to by road and not exactly a difficult trek by train. Plus there's a pub close to the ground which should keep the beer-train-football lads happy. Still, its Wealdstone playing there of which should be the defining factor in whether you decide to attend or not.

Think there has to be tinkering to the team. I'd certainly bring in Lewis and Shepherd at this stage. Midfield looks very tippy tappy of which at Conference South level is a bit of a concern. We all know what you need to get to and win play off games so DB will probably have to balance things up a bit. This may infuriate those who want to see attractive football every week but you can play attacking football without all this pretty Carlos and Chico kick a ball nonsense.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby megaphone » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:18 pm

No Metropolitan line again Wembley Park to Aldgate, but you can still get to Liverpool Street on the Central Line.

I wonder what time the Met line signal failure on Monday will be?
megaphone

Postby worruz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:18 pm

megaphone wrote:No Metropolitan line again Wembley Park to Aldgate, but you can still get to Liverpool Street on the Central Line.

Don't forget midweek home league games are on Tuesday's this season.
worruz

Postby Elmslie Ender » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:44 pm

worruz wrote:
megaphone wrote:No Metropolitan line again Wembley Park to Aldgate, but you can still get to Liverpool Street on the Central Line.

Don't forget midweek home league games are on Tuesday's this season.

One of the primary reason our midweek gates match our Saturday ones is that we played on a Monday. Bigger gate, more taken at the bar etc etc. So it worked well. Ok a day less to recover from Saturday but same for the oppo too and we decide the change it. Now we clash with CL et al.
Elmslie Ender

Postby Royal Blue » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:12 pm

attic wrote:Definitely an away game that doesn't really get the juices flowing. Maybe its because its a hark back to our Ryman league days or maybe because its just Essex that it doesn't seem to have much appeal. Still, easy to get to by road and not exactly a difficult trek by train. Plus there's a pub close to the ground which should keep the beer-train-football lads happy. Still, its Wealdstone playing there of which should be the defining factor in whether you decide to attend or not.

Think there has to be tinkering to the team. I'd certainly bring in Lewis and Shepherd at this stage. Midfield looks very tippy tappy of which at Conference South level is a bit of a concern. We all know what you need to get to and win play off games so DB will probably have to balance things up a bit. This may infuriate those who want to see attractive football every week but you can play attacking football without all this pretty Carlos and Chico kick a ball nonsense.

It's hard not to do the punditry on the line-up (even this early on) because actually we had a midfield treat last season - so much so, they largely brought us to the playoffs with goals from Shomuton, Sheppard and Green, etc. Even Mensah and Monakana chipped in I recall. Then there was Christian Smith and Poku more defensively. Our forward line (Bubb excepted but was mostly injured) had to be one of the most 'not fit for purpose' in recent years and we still got over the line - quite remarkable in hindsight. Especially with all the off-field problems too - politics and money. BW's team overachieved, all things considered. The final was theirs but for a broken team (against a now National League team in Woking) in that last 15 mins.

But anyway, moving on from the inevitable early comparisons - DB needs time to do things his way whatever we feel and notwithstanding an excellent defensive display from Dulwich Hamlet, we'd be up there.That taste of defeat might be a good thing early doors - the team certainly won't want it a few days later in Essex. The talent is there, particularly I think with the effervescent and swaggery Lewis. Put him close to the cooler Lafayette, shore up with Sheppard and get Green's foot on the ball. Throw in the kitchen sink - 3pts at Braintree would be great with a home game to follow shortly after.
Royal Blue

Postby worruz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:06 pm

As I said Tuesday was my first game since the play-off semi and I was pretty impressed.

Going by what I saw on Tuesday, what I've heard from people who have seen pre-season and what I've read of our play I think there is cause for optimism.

When Klopp turned up at Liverpool he said what he wanted to do was build a team that the fans would love to watch and that when they left the stadium at the end of one game, they couldn't wait for the next game to come round.

What I heard from DB at the meet the manager session he attended just after he joined us and how he liked to play the game I get the same vibe from him.

It will obviously take time. He's only had a few weeks and has achieved a lot in building pretty much a whole new squad in that time.

It will take tweaking and it may take another year before he gets it right and has the right balance but I'm sure he'll make a good fist of it.

Without wishing to steal Breakspears thunder all we can do is get behind them and enjoy the show. I think we'll be close to play off this season. I don't know why. I just feel we will
worruz

Postby russpa » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:56 pm

I am not sure what the safety of players in various conditions are with the FA but the weather for Saturday has winds topping 50mph in Braintree the whole morning and afternoon. Brings me to think of Margate away but it will not be raining.Lee Venemore not reffing Sat i hope.
russpa

Postby Uncle Albert » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 pm

If anbody has a spate seat tomorrow, Im ypur man!
Uncle Albert

Postby Stoneage » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Uncle Albert wrote:If anbody has a spate seat tomorrow, Im ypur man!

Uncle - have sent you a text message.
Stoneage

Return to stonesnet forum