Phil Roberts signed - forward

For all things Wealdstone FC

Phil Roberts signed - forward

Postby attic » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Believe he top scored at Braintree a couple of years ago. Not sure what he did last season though? Injured? Seems like a decent signing from those who heard the rumour after the Dartford game last week.

Didn't we try to sign him a couple of years ago??? Seem to remember the name being banded about.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Re: Phil Roberts signed - forward

Postby BKK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Interesting dynamic behind the scenes at present at the club. Without being churlish ;) (and all 19 signings appear decent) you have to wonder what the reaction on here would have been last season in terms of budget and how these signings are being financed.Of they could all be contract or more likely a mix of non-contract and I suspect there will be a highish turnover of personnel depending on results

Makes the season more interesting from a number of aspects and potentially very exciting. Time will tell as ever. UTS
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
BKK

Postby The Guvnor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Pretty sure 4/5 will be on their way in the not too distant future, I could hazard a guess and I'm certain 2 of the forwards will be gone with one in particular definitely not mustard. When you sign a glut of lower league players you know the majority will end up back where they started but its worth having a look and of course you never know.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:18 pm

BKK wrote:Interesting dynamic behind the scenes at present at the club. Without being churlish ;) (and all 19 signings appear decent) you have to wonder what the reaction on here would have been last season in terms of budget and how these signings are being financed.Of they could all be contract or more likely a mix of non-contract and I suspect there will be a highish turnover of personnel depending on results

Makes the season more interesting from a number of aspects and potentially very exciting. Time will tell as ever. UTS

Its a fair question. I think we all know that some overvalued contracts were handed out during the last two years. I think the difference is though that we aren't lumbered with the three big contracts that delivered virtually zero value. Those being Pratt, Cox and Bubb. Estimates are that we were paying a tad over 2 grand PW for these three. In no way the players fault whether it was injury, being out of favour or poor form. I wish them all the absolute best at their new clubs.

Phil Roberts comes with an interesting last couple of years I see. Hopefully the Wealdstone experience will settle him down and he'll become a terrace hero.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby BKK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:46 pm

attic wrote:
BKK wrote:Interesting dynamic behind the scenes at present at the club. Without being churlish ;) (and all 19 signings appear decent) you have to wonder what the reaction on here would have been last season in terms of budget and how these signings are being financed.Of they could all be contract or more likely a mix of non-contract and I suspect there will be a highish turnover of personnel depending on results

Its a fair question. I think we all know that some overvalued contracts were handed out during the last two years. I think the difference is though that we aren't lumbered with the three big contracts that delivered virtually zero value. Those being Pratt, Cox and Bubb. Estimates are that we were paying a tad over 2 grand PW for these three. In no way the players fault whether it was injury, being out of favour or poor form. I wish them all the absolute best at their new clubs.

Phil Roberts comes with an interesting last couple of years I see. Hopefully the Wealdstone experience will settle him down and he'll become a terrace hero.

Agreed, but am struggling to see how the current physical numbers fit in to a more ‘sustainable’ budget unless the landscape has changed?
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
BKK

Postby timfparks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:11 pm

The difference now Nick is that players are not earning silly money. DB will not entertain paying over the odds; the players respect that and so do the fans. Win-win situation ... hopefully in terms of results too
timfparks

Postby The Guvnor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Unless people know what the players are being paid then the number of players in the squad is irrelevant.

Some of the figures I've heard on the grapevine are on the low side and surprisingly so considering the players in question.

I think we can safely say the days of paying players 2 or 3 times what they're worth are gone, for now anyway.
The Guvnor

Postby Elmslie Ender » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:20 am

BKK wrote:
attic wrote:

Agreed, but am struggling to see how the current physical numbers fit in to a more ‘sustainable’ budget unless the landscape has changed?

Hemel fans have said that DB chops and changes his line ups quite a bit and brings in players and lets them go, so one can assume that many are non contracted players.

As for Roberts, looks like a decent forward, seems to have scored goals wherever he's been, but the immediate non league social media response is that he is disruptive. We'll see. Roberts' interviewed suggested that he enjoyed a good relationship with DB.
Elmslie Ender

Return to stonesnet forum