Stones 1 Chippenham Town 0

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 1 Chippenham Town 0

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 am

charlie wrote:Yes.. How could you Guvnor... write on this forum Billy Clifford is not up to the required standard.

We'll see on that one, played well last night and of course scored the winner but I just think central mid is not quite right.

Maybe the more games they all play together will improve things and to be fair its early days, with quite a few of them new to the team.

Of the returning players I thought Tyler was good for them, as he was for us last season. I would imagine the main reason he left was probably location and not in keeping with the new managements views on signing local players, although of course Nick Arnold is a very able replacement.

As for Pratt, well as usual he ran around a lot but delivered little. It might sound harsh but whenever they went forward I wasn't nervous at all because I knew he was up front.

I think the penny will drop soon for Chippenham that he's not the same player who left them a few years ago.

As for the crowd, well we do seem to have a problem with people who are happy to to drink in the first half and then walk in for free in the 2nd half or even not even bother at all ! I suppose you could argue they are spending money but I'm sure DB would like them all in the ground getting behind the team and making life difficult for away teams.

Most people I spoke to last night commented that there was more entertainment in the first half last night than the whole of last season, so its worth watching just have to get them think they're missing out.
The Guvnor

Postby deadly » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:56 am

The Guvnor wrote:
As for the crowd, well we do seem to have a problem with people who are happy to to drink in the first half and then walk in for free in the 2nd half or even not even bother at all !

A simple way to stop this behaviour is to fence off the beer garden area and clubhouse so that those areas are only accessible AFTER going through the turnstiles on matchdays, with a lockable gate in the fencing that can be opened to access the clubhouse at other times and days. The cost of the fence and gate would I am sure be quickly recouped by the larger attendances. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby megaphone » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:37 am

We are 4 games into the season with a new manager and players. We are not Barcelona or Manchester City, and even they have off days occasionally. All players last night were at least a 7/10 so great consistency. As Guv said, a few tweaks needed, like not leaving Ross so isolated. The big test comes if we lose a couple of matches and how the players respond.

timfparks wrote:I’m surprised the postings have been so positive because I think the players will be disappointed tonight. There was solidity yes, teamwork yes and work rate yes, but little of the fluency we’d seen in the other games. Our final pass, as mentioned often let us down and the second half especially was more like last season as we failed to move the ball quickly enough into the danger areas.
A great goal though!
megaphone

Postby BKK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:04 am

deadly wrote:
The Guvnor wrote:
As for the crowd, well we do seem to have a problem with people who are happy to to drink in the first half and then walk in for free in the 2nd half or even not even bother at all !

A simple way to stop this behaviour is to fence off the beer garden area and clubhouse so that those areas are only accessible AFTER going through the turnstiles on matchdays, with a lockable gate in the fencing that can be opened to access the clubhouse at other times and days. The cost of the fence and gate would I am sure be quickly recouped by the larger attendances. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went late into the RSC at the end of half time and there were more outside in the beer garden than in the ground it seemed! The crowd defo swelled in the second half. Shades of the old Lower Mead ploy per Charlie's quip. Most of these were clearly more interested in the beer than footie but income nonetheless. Odd though ....
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
BKK

Postby Stoney Ground » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:07 am

What I think is the key to the start so far, only seen the 2 home games is that nobody has had a bad game.

There is not much difference in the players that come in off the bench and those they replace, so a solid base to start from.

Saturday will be a test, but I’m sure we are up to the task.
Stoney Ground

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:02 pm

We gave them almost nothing for 90 mins and that’s very pleasing and shows our defensive game is pretty solid. They had plenty of set pieces too, which we dealt with this time. On the offensive side 2 or 3 nil would have been fair but for a bit of luck for them off the post (and keeper’s back) and Efete’s dragged shot near the end, which would have sent the place up. Just a bit more confidence in front of goal required from one or two of ours - that belief and directness. Of particular note was Clifford, who has now settled in nicely. Tyler did a good job on Smith.

The first 30 mins - some of the best football seen at The Vale for a long time.

3 wins out of four and another clean sheet. On to HH on Sat for a spicy one.
Last edited by Royal Blue on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Blue

Postby Not Happy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Good start to the season. Seems a long time ago that we were having to put up with aimless hoofing and nonsense interviews. Back line settling down nicely although we may get found out with a right footer playing left back. Nothing wrong with people drinking in the bar and coming in at half time as long as they are buying beers. Glad the Guvnor is back watching games after his temporary retirement to the armchair. Hope a few more fans come back after the last few years of nonsense.
Not Happy

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Not Happy wrote:Nothing wrong with people drinking in the bar and coming in at half time as long as they are buying beer

Probably missing the point here. The manager has openly stated he wants the fans to create a fortress like environment that opposition teams hate coming to. The team have to do their bit of course, but the fans either by vocal support or berating the opposition can make it such. I doubt opposition teams will be intimidated by fans stretched out in the Beer Garden with a pint and a fag on the go.

Not Happy wrote:Glad the Guvnor is back watching games

You'll have to take my word for it but plenty people have told me they enjoy reading my ramblings on this forum. Unlikely they'll be overly interested in someone who has nothing to say except slag off peoples valid views.

UTS

WGAOS
The Guvnor

Postby Big Phil » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm

You may not agree with them but there is no problem with a bit of banter from the likes of Guvnor, Charlie, and Not Happy etc.As the Guvnor said it can liven up the forum .On yesterdays match it has all been said but my only worry is that we should of buried Chippenham but had to sweat it out in injury time with a corner and free kick on the edge of the box just to get the win.We may not be so fortunate in other matches.Also I think that in 3 of the 4 matches Connor Smith has been booked,and all fairly early on.Give him credit though he has calmed down after them so always still had 11 men on the pitch.Cannot afford too many red cards.
Big Phil

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Big Phil wrote:You may not agree with them but there is no problem with a bit of banter from the likes of Guvnor, Charlie, and Not Happy etc.As the Guvnor said it can liven up the forum .On yesterdays match it has all been said but my only worry is that we should of buried Chippenham but had to sweat it out in injury time with a corner and free kick on the edge of the box just to get the win.We may not be so fortunate in other matches.Also I think that in 3 of the 4 matches Connor Smith has been booked,and all fairly early on.Give him credit though he has calmed down after them so always still had 11 men on the pitch.Cannot afford too many red cards.

Yep, we should have buried them in the first 45 and the last 5 mins were particularly uncomfortable. HOWEVER, looking on the brighter side - we are the first team to beat Chippenham this season, they were riding high off the back of beating Billericay last time out AND had only conceded one other goal this season. So, when we do really start clinically finishing (not withstanding we are already the league's 2nd highest scorers), we are in for some good times. It'll come and it will have to against the best opponents, as you infer.

Hemel will be very interesting.
Royal Blue

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum