NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby BKK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:45 pm

attic wrote:So null and void very much an option even though the gossip was suggesting it wouldn't be. Dare I say it, legally it has to be there by default though. There needs to be an official fall back option should the parties not reach agreement by a set date. Yes its getting tedious but I'd rather they have the maximum amount of realistic time if it means a chance of concluding the outcome.


Sadly I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that all this so called consultation process is to mitigate legal action and to buy time for the EFL to pronounce on relegation from League 2. I doubt agreement will be reached and the only outcome will be to void. Agree with Tim now, can’t see football until next year as clubs can’t operate without social clubs
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
User avatar
BKK
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby attic » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:53 pm

BKK wrote:
attic wrote:So null and void very much an option even though the gossip was suggesting it wouldn't be. Dare I say it, legally it has to be there by default though. There needs to be an official fall back option should the parties not reach agreement by a set date. Yes its getting tedious but I'd rather they have the maximum amount of realistic time if it means a chance of concluding the outcome.


Sadly I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that all this so called consultation process is to mitigate legal action and to buy time for the EFL to pronounce on relegation from League 2. I doubt agreement will be reached and the only outcome will be to void. Agree with Tim now, can’t see football until next year as clubs can’t operate without social clubs


Either way we shall see if football has an ounce of business creativity in its heart......
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
User avatar
attic
 
Posts: 8378
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby deadly » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 pm

BKK wrote:
attic wrote:So null and void very much an option even though the gossip was suggesting it wouldn't be. Dare I say it, legally it has to be there by default though. There needs to be an official fall back option should the parties not reach agreement by a set date. Yes its getting tedious but I'd rather they have the maximum amount of realistic time if it means a chance of concluding the outcome.


Sadly I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that all this so called consultation process is to mitigate legal action and to buy time for the EFL to pronounce on relegation from League 2. I doubt agreement will be reached and the only outcome will be to void. Agree with Tim now, can’t see football until next year as clubs can’t operate without social clubs


I have yet to see exactly what the National League has said to clubs, but this BBC Report gives some hints:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52456446

The National League's own website has nothing on it relevant, as per normal.

'National League clubs have until Friday lunchtime to share their views on the feasibility of going ahead with them.
After that, the National League Board will decide whether to postpone the play-offs and see if they can find a way to play them at a later date or cancel them.
Once that decision has been made, then they may need to make a decision on the clubs that qualify for the play-offs.
In the letter, they outline there is no formal system to determine the final league tables across the National League, National League North and National League South.
But they mention three possible scenarios: to expunge all results, confirm clubs' final league placing as of now or to calculate them on a mathematical formula. Any such formula would have to be approved by the FA Council'

Fingers crossed that it is one of the last two scenarios that is followed.
But even if it is expunge, the need to replace Bury should still see one club at all levels 'adjusted' .


Of course, if the government are determined to keep all pubs and social clubs closed for several months, then there may be no football clubs still solvent enough to even start a new season.

For those of you not too bored with the whole thing, you can follow this twitter feed to keep up to date:
https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss

Edit: I see my local café has re-invented itself as a take-away . Just a thought, but could our clubhouse do the same on a limited basis? say at weekends.. A limited menu of onion & cheese rolls and bottle only beers, ales and lagers?
Perhaps by using a one-way system exiting into the ground where food and drink could be safely consumed at social-distancing seating or taken away? :roll: :roll: :roll:

It might not be very profitable, but could use up stocks that would otherwise go out of date. And be useful in staff training of the health & hygiene regimes that would be needed on any gradual relaxing of the lockdown. :roll: :roll: :roll:
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
User avatar
deadly
 
Posts: 3412
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby Rayners Blue is Back » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:55 am

BKK wrote: Agree with Tim now, can’t see football until next year as clubs can’t operate without social clubs


How do Harrow Boro survive? And they would have no trouble social distancing :D
Rayners Blue is Back
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby deadly » Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 am

The feasibility of the playoffs voting should be in by today 12 pm, so things may be a bit clearer this afternoon...or not


From Twitter:
@Ollie_Bayliss 12h
National League clubs have until midday tomorrow to give their views on the feasibility of the playoffs.

All 68 teams have been consulted as they all “receive a benefit from the commercial revenues derived from the playoffs, and any decision may well impact upon future seasons.”


Edit: and today : Ollie_Bayliss
Clubs were sent 5 pages of guidance and notes. It concluded with this:

"In responding to this consultation letter, Clubs should state clearly whether they prefer to cancel the play-offs or to postpone the play-offs. Clubs should also detail any other comments they wish to make"


I had been hoping that the National League would tally preferences straight away on the play off question and issue a clear yes or no statement by now rather foolishly.
But if they have to plough through umpteen pages of variable options and comments I fear it will be another week before we know, and probably another couple of weeks to find out if there is any form of promotion or not.
I suppose by then the League 2 yes/no on allowing promotion or not may be made and the National can then follow suit.



Are Wealdstone F.C. social club going to have a beer sale similar to St Albans?
https://www.stalbanscityfc.com/pints-from-the-park/

or have the Friday club already done the job? :roll:
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
User avatar
deadly
 
Posts: 3412
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby deadly » Wed May 06, 2020 12:16 pm

UPDATE:
Tweet below was posted after yesterday's National League meeting.

@MattBadcock_NLP
Understand National League are of thinking they should wait to hear from EFL if there is any chance of completing its season before making their play-off decision.
Majority of clubs across 3 NL divisions in favour of cancelling - most who want to continue would be in play/offs

Also understand that prospect of separate decision at Steps 1 & 2 has been dropped.'

The above reinforces the view that all clubs are simply deciding on what is to happen only on where they are currently in the league.
Those outside the play-off zone want the season to end by null & void right now, those with a chance of promotion want to wait,
with no middle ground whatsoever.

A mirror on human behavior and society I suppose.

I can't go up, so I don't want anyone else to do so either.

Very sad.

EDIT 07/05/2020 :
From Twitter 07/05/2020 :

@Ollie_Bayliss

I understand the National League intend to ask the FA whether they could extend their playing season beyond the end of May.

The extension would be necessary for the playoffs to take place after that date.

In order to do so, they would require a vote by the full FA Council.


If this is correct, then it would appear that the National League Council are in favour of having play-offs, and concluding the season the same way that the Premier League and the Football League wish to end the season, and are listening to the opinions of those clubs that are actually in play-off positions (determined by position now or PPG), rather than the clubs who are not, as per this previous tweet:
'Majority of clubs across 3 NL divisions in favour of cancelling - most who want to continue would be in play/offs'

As everyone has already agreed that the regular season has ended and will not be played to a conclusion, this is a quite logical decision if true.
Those not affected in any way if the play-offs are played or not should not (in my opinion) determine how things proceed.
The Full FA Council of course, are the real Blazers in charge...

EDIT: 17.00: A bit more...
Ollie_Bayliss
I understand the prospect of a separate decision on playoffs for the National League & the National League North/South has been dropped.

The National League now intend to make a decision that applies to both steps.

And another tweet:
During the latest consultation clubs were asked for their thoughts on holding the playoffs.

They've not been asked their thoughts on null & void or ppg etc yet.

And another:

they appear to be avoiding making any decision until the EFL know what’s happening.

Makes some sense as there’s no point trying to promote 2 teams if League 2 won’t accept them. They’re also worried that cancelling the playoffs means they won’t be able to promote 2 clubs.





Until we get an official statement from the National League, all we can go on is scraps thrown from the masters table; their communication to the public has been woeful, but we live in eternal hope...


Deadly Winston Smith.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
User avatar
deadly
 
Posts: 3412
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby Monica » Fri May 08, 2020 5:00 pm

deadly wrote:UPDATE:
Tweet below was posted after yesterday's National League meeting.

@MattBadcock_NLP
Understand National League are of thinking they should wait to hear from EFL if there is any chance of completing its season before making their play-off decision.
Majority of clubs across 3 NL divisions in favour of cancelling - most who want to continue would be in play/offs

Also understand that prospect of separate decision at Steps 1 & 2 has been dropped.'

The above reinforces the view that all clubs are simply deciding on what is to happen only on where they are currently in the league.
Those outside the play-off zone want the season to end by null & void right now, those with a chance of promotion want to wait,
with no middle ground whatsoever.

A mirror on human behavior and society I suppose.

I can't go up, so I don't want anyone else to do so either.

Very sad.

EDIT 07/05/2020 :
From Twitter 07/05/2020 :

@Ollie_Bayliss

I understand the National League intend to ask the FA whether they could extend their playing season beyond the end of May.

The extension would be necessary for the playoffs to take place after that date.

In order to do so, they would require a vote by the full FA Council.


If this is correct, then it would appear that the National League Council are in favour of having play-offs, and concluding the season the same way that the Premier League and the Football League wish to end the season, and are listening to the opinions of those clubs that are actually in play-off positions (determined by position now or PPG), rather than the clubs who are not, as per this previous tweet:
'Majority of clubs across 3 NL divisions in favour of cancelling - most who want to continue would be in play/offs'

As everyone has already agreed that the regular season has ended and will not be played to a conclusion, this is a quite logical decision if true.
Those not affected in any way if the play-offs are played or not should not (in my opinion) determine how things proceed.
The Full FA Council of course, are the real Blazers in charge...

EDIT: 17.00: A bit more...
Ollie_Bayliss
I understand the prospect of a separate decision on playoffs for the National League & the National League North/South has been dropped.

The National League now intend to make a decision that applies to both steps.

And another tweet:
During the latest consultation clubs were asked for their thoughts on holding the playoffs.

They've not been asked their thoughts on null & void or ppg etc yet.

And another:

they appear to be avoiding making any decision until the EFL know what’s happening.

Makes some sense as there’s no point trying to promote 2 teams if League 2 won’t accept them. They’re also worried that cancelling the playoffs means they won’t be able to promote 2 clubs.





Until we get an official statement from the National League, all we can go on is scraps thrown from the masters table; their communication to the public has been woeful, but we live in eternal hope...


Deadly Winston Smith.


Ah yes Ollie "bloody the sun shines out of my arse" Bayliss
Nothing a good slap in the nuts wouldn`t put right
Little twat
Monica
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby deadly » Fri May 08, 2020 11:34 pm

Monica wrote:
deadly wrote:

Ah yes Ollie "bloody the sun shines out of my arse" Bayliss
Nothing a good slap in the nuts wouldn`t put right
Little twat


Unfortunately there are not many sources of information from Clubs, the FA or the National League at the moment, so unofficial sources like radio show presenters are all us mere fans have...

Edit: Ah, looks like the fun will start soon.
Watch events happen like dominos falling, one after the other...

The English Football League will next week tell clubs in Leagues One and Two there is no chance of playing any more games this season and ask them to vote on a method to decide promotion and relegation.

EFL chairman Rick Parry told MPs on the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee on Wednesday morning that a resolution to the season in the third and fourth tiers was only a matter of days away and it now seems a decision could come as early as Monday or Tuesday.

The Athletic understands the EFL board has already received several proposals from clubs, with the current favourite being a points-per-game (PPG) model weighted to reflect how many games the teams have played home and away.


The rationale for this idea is a non-weighted PPG calculation does not take into account the fact that some teams have four home games left, while others have six....

https://theathletic.co.uk/1800891/2020/ ... icJU74jMk8

There are some more discussions on the twitter feed of @Ollie_Bayliss (tweets & replies)
Monica's friend. :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
User avatar
deadly
 
Posts: 3412
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby BKK » Sat May 09, 2020 8:11 pm

‘ unfortunately there are not many sources of information from Clubs, the FA or the National League at the moment, so unofficial sources like radio show presenters are all us mere fans have...’

Sadly so very true Deadly. Some club officials think that they are information guardians. As you say it’s all us mere mortals are being fed. Poor PR all round
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
User avatar
BKK
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby deadly » Sun May 10, 2020 4:19 pm

BKK wrote:‘ unfortunately there are not many sources of information from Clubs, the FA or the National League at the moment, so unofficial sources like radio show presenters are all us mere fans have...’

Sadly so very true Deadly. Some club officials think that they are information guardians. As you say it’s all us mere mortals are being fed. Poor PR all round


If you have some time on your hands and need some similar reading material to this forum thread,
here is a link to the Barrow fans forum. They of course are in a very similar situation to Wealdstone.

The 'Decisions being made' thread is over 900 posts long and counting. :lol:
https://www.barrowafc.net/viewforum.php?f=2

I like this post in particular:
Taken from the OneFootballForum League 2 Forum;-

Matt Slater, a journalist for the Athletic, has published a story this morning saying that the League 1 and League 2 seasons are set to be abandoned within the next few days. For now, the Premier League and Championship will continue. But I assume the National League are also about to act themselves. A vote for L1 and L2 clubs will take place to decide which system will be used, but a weighted PPG looks set to be the method chosen.

https://theathletic.com/1800891/2020/05 ... -coventry/ Those of you who have a sub with the Athletic can read up on things there.

In short

- Leagues more than likely to be decided on a weighted PPG system which evens out home and away games remaining as fair as they possibly can. Playoffs are to be cancelled for this year and this year only.
- Coventry, Rotherham and Oxford (current Top 3 in order) will be promoted to the Championship (The fume from Andy Pilley, DMAC, Portsmouth and Sunderland fans on Twitter is going to be quite something)
- Tranmere, Southend and Bolton to be relegated to League Two (I think Palios will accept relegation but watch Ron Martin try and do a lawsuit to try and keep Southend in League One despite them being dead and buried)
- Swindon to be Champions of League Two, Crewe 2nd, Plymouth 3rd but Cheltenham to leapfrog Exeter into 4th on PPG which means they'll be promoted and the Grecians will unfortunately miss out.
- Stevenage to finish bottom of League Two and are very likely to be relegated to the National League unless the National League null and void their season. If Stevenage go down, I believe Phil Wallace will accept it even though Macclesfield have just had a signfiicant points deduction themselves.
- Null and void in the PL and EFL appears to have receded significantly due to it favouring the worst performing sides coupled with the legal and financial risks involved (The leagues may be liable to pay Sky back significant monies owed as per the agreement) and it's not an option that will be brought to the table.

With regard to non league. This isn't mentioned in the article, but at a guess...

- If NL isn't null and voided, it looks likely that Barrow and Harrogate will be promoted to League Two next season. Again, Notts County fans will be seething at this, but they'll be fighting a losing battle if the EFL has decided to go down the PPG route with the NL wishing to follow it.
- Its uncertain what will happen in the context of relegation but it's wise to assume that, should the season not be null and voided, Chorley, Fylde and Maidenhead will be relegated with Wealdstone, Kings Lynn, York and Havant and Waterlooville promoted. This would leave the NLS and NLN with 22 and 21 clubs respectively, which means they may promote each top placed side and more than likely the best 2nd placed team from Step 3 after all to make up the numbers for their impending expansion to 24 teams each.

Interesting to see what will lie ahead as a result of this when it's formally announced. But Slater, a Southend fan himself, is a very credible source and I do believe that this will occur next week...
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
User avatar
deadly
 
Posts: 3412
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Location: Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: breakspear stones, Google [Bot] and 39 guests