NEXT SEASON

For all things Wealdstone FC

NEXT SEASON

Postby deadly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:48 am

While we wait for the seemingly positive news coming out of the National meeting, and then an official announcement...

Do we dare look ahead to next season ( whenever it may start).?

There is already a clamour in the press for reducing the social distancing rule so by the time we actually get to watch football again I do not think that will be a significantly limiting factor. (especially if we are all wearing club face masks)

Season Tickets and general admission costs will be one of the first things to be sorted.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

For myself I would be happy to pay whatever the club wants, but suggest that an early bird offer is as attractive as possible.

One determining factor should be the expected increased gates (should we go up, and because everyone will be desperate to get out and actually watch live football)

So for example: Bromley for 2019/20 was £18 which include seating but if booked in advance online £15.

And Bromley averaged a healthy 2,018. That's an increase of 36% on the previous season.

I believe that when Sutton, Bromley and Maidenhead all first got promoted into the National, their gates all effectively doubled.
In these troubled and difficult times, I doubt that the expected increase will be as great, but significant non the less.

https://www.thelinnets.co.uk/turnstile.php?s=2018

Fingers STILL crossed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by deadly on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Re: NEXT SEASON

Postby John Young » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:11 am

Like deadly I agree that most fans will be wondering how much a season ticket will be. We have been very lucky these last 3-4 seasons with the cheapest ticket in the league. It’s a difficult decision for the board. A lot of NL clubs seem to charge £18 per game , so £378.00 a season paying each game. Personally think an early bird season ticket of around £250-£275 would be realistic and value. Those who think it won’t go up much need a rethink. More costs to the club in travelling and potential hotel stops all add to the expense, let alone wages.
Wages will be a hot topic. I hope players realise that clubs won’t have the money to pay ridiculous wages and if players want to play they will have to be realistic in what they get paid. There will be even more players available as league 1and 2 clubs offload players from their wage bill. I think Deano and Stu are going to be busy assembling a squad when we know the outcome of the NL decision. Hopefully exciting season to look forward too. UTS
John Young

Postby attic » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:11 am

Just remember though, the furlough magic money tree will soon be over. And the economy is going to tank. Redundancies are starting already. Plus everyone's taxes WILL be going up to pay for the Wuhan virus debacle. Its simple logic whatever your political viewpoint.

We're all going to have a bit less money for a few years never mind footballers wages. The club have to get this one right though. I do believe there will be some able to afford a more expensive season season ticket. Quite a few will be happy to pay £250-275 if its conference National football. Need to be careful not to exclude those who are already struggling to pay the £125.

Dare I say the club could offer the season tickets at £150...however how many of us would be happy to pay £300 for one which also includes £150 shares? I certainly would.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:23 am

My view on this has always been you remove (or reduce) the barriers to entry. A full Vale will generate far more revenue than a quarter full Vale, so charging more and getting less take up is a false economy. You keep prices as low as you can, fill the place and enjoy the additional revenues that come with it.

And you only have to look at what other local teams have done - Borehamwood now slowly but surely growing their fanbase with very good pricing, Sutton have consistently grown too with excellent season ticket offers. Barnet on the other hand have charged the sort of prices in this thread and seen their support drop off a cliff. There are lots of other ways of making money than just charging premium prices at the turnstiles for what is still non-league football. Our strategy has seen exponential growth in gates in the last few years, don't change what isn't broken..
BornundertheElmslie

Postby attic » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:44 am

There's also the issue of 'social distancing' to consider though next season though. There's possibly, although it seems unlikely, going to be another serious spike of C19. Lets face it no one really knows whether its genuinely burning out or not. It seems there's appetite to get at least 25% of capacity into grounds from September on. So dare I say there is less scope for residual income generated. This figure may change to 50% capacity, it may go back to behind closed doors. Naturally if we could operate at 33% capacity that would probably be the type of crowd we were going to get anyway.

Totally agree with offering 'bargain' season tickets for the masses. Do believe there should be a more expensive option to help plug the shortfall in the meantime. Quite a few fans have proved they will 'crowdfund'.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:56 am

attic wrote:There's also the issue of 'social distancing' to consider though next season though. There's possibly, although it seems unlikely, going to be another serious spike of C19. Lets face it no one really knows whether its genuinely burning out or not. It seems there's appetite to get at least 25% of capacity into grounds from September on. So dare I say there is less scope for residual income generated. This figure may change to 50% capacity, it may go back to behind closed doors. Naturally if we could operate at 33% capacity that would probably be the type of crowd we were going to get anyway.

Totally agree with offering 'bargain' season tickets for the masses. Do believe there should be a more expensive option to help plug the shortfall in the meantime. Quite a few fans have proved they will 'crowdfund'.

All indications seem to be that social distancing will shortly be reduced to 1m and if there is no spike after that, don't be surprised to see it removed completely by September. The govt want kids back in schools by Sept and they can't currently because of social distancing implications. So will need to be solved in order to make that happen.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby worruz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:07 am

I know one of the main bonuses for clubs to people buying season tickets is that they get a percentage of money up front at the start of the season but.....

could we be smarter with how we ask people to pay for their season tickets.

Say - pay half of the season ticket as a lump sum by the end of July and the rest as direct debit until the end of December?

This may limit the pain for those who cant afford it all at once.

You could always have the option of just paying it all in one go if you want to as well.

Maybe thats over complicating it???? Its a variation on how car insurance etc is paid though and people do that with no issues.
' What I don't get is why is it ok for them to say that word in their rap songs but when I said that word out loud in the queue at the post office they kicked me out the shop?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby HammeredWasp » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:28 am

Simplest
HammeredWasp

Postby warren » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:13 am

i think the board have a hard decision on ST prices this year. By sept start we could be down to 1m SD which will make a big difference. i suspect we might be limited to 25% capacity. i think first months season might be ST holders only. i personally would be happy to pay full price till the SD rules are relaxed. i suspect away fans might also be banned from grounds. ST deals shold we have SD should be open first to last seasons ST holders then any capacity opened to other fans
warren

Postby The Guvnor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:39 am

The first thing many of our fans will have to get their head around is that we are going into a Professional league with some big hitters who will look down on us in the same way we might view certain other clubs in the NLS.

Its big boys football and you don't get that on the cheap so any ST below £ 250 would be financial suicide on our part. Even at that price though you will still be getting excellent value.

The quaint relaxed Saturdays that a lot of our fans have gotten used to will be gone. Games at NL level have far more Police involvement and with it tighter restrictions on what you can and can't do. The football offences act comes into play and any misdemeanours such as just invading the pitch for example will see you arrested and potentially on the end of a 5 year banning order.

Who knows what the local residents will make of it ? We know the infrastructure around the ground starts creaking when we get crowds of 800 so what will it be like when we get 1600-1800 with 5/600 away fans rolling into town ?

As a club we are not ready so its going to be sink or swim time. We are going to have to learn and adapt very quickly.

However it will be a fantastic experience to play at that level but it won't be for everyone.
The Guvnor

Next

Return to stonesnet forum