Where we won (we think) promotion

For all things Wealdstone FC

Where we won (we think) promotion

Postby adamgloor » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:02 am

I have done a quick check.
The magic, unassailable, point was gained in the 0-0 draw at Dartford.
It was our 66th point of the campaign.
Havant, despite winning all their pre-lockdown games could only muster 67 points (playing one game more)
Basically 65 points from 33 games would have seen us denied PPG by 0.00089 points.

Happy for more competent stattos to say otherwise!
adamgloor

Re: Where we won (we think) promotion

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:43 am

Promotion was won at Havant.

Lose that one and I really don't think we'd have finished top. We'd been on a bit of a dodgy run going into that one so it was massive. From memory if they'd won and with their games in hand won would have gone above us.

The win kept them at bay and gave us the belief and confidence that we could do it. It was a real statement of intent.

Of course a week later we carried that into our home game with Bath blowing them out of the water 7-0.

Havant away for me was the day we sealed promotion.
The Guvnor

Postby timfparks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:12 am

I’ve just written a book about the season (in cahoots with others) and we’ve gone large on the Havant and Bath games as you’d expect. For me, though, it was grinding out those narrow home wins when we really hadn’t played well that gave this sceptic the growing belief that we could actually make a title challenge. Like Oxford City, Welling (home and away) St Albans and Maidstone. Not that we’ve won anything yet. Oh no.
timfparks

Postby kenton1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:13 am

Agree. The Havant result proved our title credentials that day. A well worth trip all round and, as you say, blowing away Bath ( who at the time had the leagues best defence) was the icing on the cake ! I think another factor was that we rarely went more than a couple of league matches without a win that helped keep a momentum of sorts going. All in all a highly satisfying season which should result in our promotion
kenton1

Postby GingerGuy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 am

Especially coming from a goal down to win the game.
Our heads could easily have dropped, and we could have gone on to lose that game. When Moses (I think) was put clear and lifted the ball over the keeper but also over the bar, we could also have thought it was not our day. Then a few minutes later, he made amends with a sublime finish into the near post top corner. All credit to the team and manager for not being fazed by going a goal down.
Of course, that game is my local game and was followed by many many beers in lovely Chichester, so I may be biased.

It's just such a shame that we can't celebrate promotion* properly at the Vale - THAT would have been a night to remember (or only have hazy memories of, like the night in Chichester).

* assuming yadda yadda...
GingerGuy

Postby attic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am

timfparks wrote:I’ve just written a book about the season (in cahoots with others) and we’ve gone large on the Havant and Bath games as you’d expect. For me, though, it was grinding out those narrow home wins when we really hadn’t played well that gave this sceptic the growing belief that we could actually make a title challenge. Like Oxford City, Welling (home and away) St Albans and Maidstone. Not that we’ve won anything yet. Oh no.

Agree with this. Connor Smith's late block at home V St Albans springs to mind. We were having a bit of a wobble but its moments like that that win you things. However Havant gave us the belief that we really could go on to win the title. The doubters were out and there were some fairly honest questions being asked of how we would perform on the heavy pitches etc. However these were answered in emphatic style. To be the best you have to beat the best.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby charlie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:54 am

Changing direction ...maybe a little star dust luck.

End of GB reign.... bringing in Peter Marsden, Would we go up without all those seats?

Shrewd move bringing in Mr Fitz and his magic appointment of Deano and Co.

""Everything is changing.. Ive been here too long.. going throu the same things... gotta move on."
charlie

Postby Blue Stone » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:01 pm

I do agree that Havant away was where the title was won. Not only a huge 6 pointer but as has been mentioned followed up by a further 3 points and a massive goal difference boost by pounding Bath.

In fact it's not just conjecture but tricky maths comes into it quite starkly. Had we lost at Havant (and we were 2-1 down) and all other results been the same we would now be on 67 points and Havant would be on 70. We would still have a game in hand but by a very slim PPG margin they would have been champions and we would now have been worrying about the play offs!
Blue Stone

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 pm

GingerGuy wrote:

Especially coming from a goal down to win the game.
Our heads could easily have dropped, and we could have gone on to lose that game. When Moses (I think) was put clear and lifted the ball over the keeper but also over the bar, we could also have thought it was not our day.

I think we can give ourselves - and especially our yoof - credit for that. When he missed that it was the second miss in quick succession. We could easily have started complaining, but the singing continued and I'd like to think our amazing vocal support just after that miss kept the team and especially Moses positive. And that goal still sends shivers...

So yes in conclusion - I won the league.
Waltons Left Boot

Postby attic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Waltons Left Boot wrote:
I think we can give ourselves - and especially our yoof - credit for that. When he missed that it was the second miss in quick succession. We could easily have started complaining, but the singing continued and I'd like to think our amazing vocal support just after that miss kept the team and especially Moses positive. And that goal still sends shivers...

So yes in conclusion - I won the league.

The yoof were indeed fantastic that day. The majority of the noise came from their section and they led the entire Stones contingent throughout. Our fans were great as a whole because they were forced to participate in a game of football for 90 mins. No sloping off to the bar after half an hour. What’s even better is that the majority of conference National away games are segregated so we will all be together for 90 mins whether we like it or not.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Next

Return to stonesnet forum