Playing squad 2020-21

For all things Wealdstone FC

Playing squad 2020-21

Postby attic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:46 pm

Big day for some of our players this Tuesday. DB will be releasing those who he believes aren't quite up to it. I reckon there will be a few surprises amongst them. Maybe one or two fan favourites heading into the sunset. DB has shown he isn't scared to make big decisions and so far his judgement has looked sound.

In DB we trust.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Re: Playing squad 2020-21

Postby hillsy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:12 pm

I was thinking about this earlier. I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Danny Green, Connor Smith and Ross Lafayette not taking the next step with us. One of the obvious puzzles to solve is who we'll have between the sticks. I wouldn't be surprised if Oxborough (loan) or Isted found their way back to us. As good as the midfield duo of Phillips, Clifford and Charles have been, I don't think we'd need all three and certainly will need some more brute power in there.

We'll need some firepower in front of goal and I desperately hope we can keep hold of Dennon Lewis, Michee Efete and Jacob Mendy, the latter I feel the one who has the chance of going farthest in the game. Exciting times and I look forward to seeing what the next few weeks brings.

Any idea of when the league start date will be confirmed and likely date for fixtures to be released?
hillsy

Postby attic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm

hillsy wrote:I was thinking about this earlier. I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Danny Green, Connor Smith and Ross Lafayette not taking the next step with us. One of the obvious puzzles to solve is who we'll have between the sticks. I wouldn't be surprised if Oxborough (loan) or Isted found their way back to us. As good as the midfield duo of Phillips, Clifford and Charles have been, I don't think we'd need all three and certainly will need some more brute power in there.

We'll need some firepower in front of goal and I desperately hope we can keep hold of Dennon Lewis, Michee Efete and Jacob Mendy, the latter I feel the one who has the chance of going farthest in the game. Exciting times and I look forward to seeing what the next few weeks brings.

Any idea of when the league start date will be confirmed and likely date for fixtures to be released?

Think you are getting close to what I'm guessing too. This is a BIG step up and the types of attribute that some players may possess may not quite cut it at the level above. Those who have not really broken into the team this year will naturally be at risk too. I think though that someone like Shepherd may survive though. Strong, athletic, just a question of application really.

Will probably need to add a few powerful seasoned campaigners to our squad. The likes of Alan Massey and Godfrey Poku spring to mind. All depends on financial situations elsewhere. No doubt DB will have to play the loan market game too.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Tonyd » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:40 pm

You’d pick Jake Sheppard, who rarely played last season, ahead of Danny Green, who generally was a first choice? Thankfully DB is making the decisions. Not that I don’t have time for Jake
Tonyd

Postby The Guvnor » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 pm

There may be players who for whatever reason don't want to play in the NL so that will obviously have a bearing. And of course we don't know what our financial situation is either.

However Rory and the board have shown themselves to be very reliable since they took over so fully expect DB will be given a competitive budget.

DB has proved to be pretty ruthless thus far with players that are not up to it and I expect he will continue in that vein. However just because a player is retained doesn't mean he'll end up playing because there will be a lot of decent players coming our way over the Summer.

Whatever DB decides he has earned the right to be trusted and supported in his decisions.

I think it goes without saying though that the NL requires a level of physicality that we don't currently have. Its not impossible to play football at that level but you are going to have to battle really hard to earn that right.
The Guvnor

Postby Tonyd » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Totally agree with you Guv regarding the manager and the board. As for the physicality required in the NL you may be right but I’ve heard that sentiment so often regarding the national south. And along came Dean Brennan to show you could play football and win the league. I’m sure he’ll know that some additional physicality may be required but I seriously doubt that he won’t want to play with the same style, ball playing, pressing, quick, athletic football..
Tonyd

Postby attic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:27 pm

Tonyd wrote:You’d pick Jake Sheppard, who rarely played last season, ahead of Danny Green, who generally was a first choice? Thankfully DB is making the decisions. Not that I don’t have time for Jake

On certain attributes he's got potential for playing NL football. Other players who did better than him last season I'd question suitability to step up. Remember how some perceived reliable players got caught out when stepping up to the CS. Just didn't have the legs.

However agreed thank god DB is making the decisions!
attic

Postby Stoney Ground » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:03 am

hillsy wrote:

Looking on one forum it says

Provisional dates for Step 2 Play Off games are

Sat/Sun 18/19 July : Eliminators
Sat/Sun 25/26 July : Semi-Finals.
Sat /Sun 1/2 August : Finals.

But surely the semi finals will be midweek, unless dates are being driven by BT Sport as they are rumoured to be televising them.

So unless they have a draft of 4 different sets once the Finalists are known, I can’t see it being before 6/7th August. So a season start date of 5/6th Sept may get pushed back a week.

Regarding playing squad, it will need strengthening and a lot will depend on those that have the opportunity to move on and those that don’t wish to play National League. And Deans judgement will be used on who is available and where he thinks we need improving. Goalkeeper wise he likes to use the loan market as it helps with the budget, being in the higher league means you get the pick of the better youngsters in that area. There may well be, a lot of clubs looking to get youngsters experience for half a season at men’s football so could pick up one or two to bolster the squad.

Last season they played a quarter of the league fixtures by the end of September, so with the delayed start we can expect midweek games at least until the end of October this season. So having a settled side could be a massive bonus as P14 with 20 points is far better than P14 with 10points, looking at previous seasons 50 points will be a minimum requirement.

Looking forward to a few new grounds and the occasional overnight stay.

UTS in Dean we trust.
Stoney Ground

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:53 am

I've seen a few mentions of September 12th as a possible start date and that seems very feasible with the lifting of more restrictions in the coming weeks.

There will be a lot of midweek football and although there seems to be a Southern emphasis to the league, long midweek trips are certainly not unheard of.

Of course the unknown factor next season is how much disruption COVID 19 might have on it. A virus that hasn't gone away and unless a vaccine is found its sure to rear its ugly head in some way shape or form next winter.

Who know we might all become null and voiders.
The Guvnor

Postby worruz » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:19 am

hillsy wrote:. duo of Phillips, Clifford and Charles

:?
' What I don't get is why is it ok for them to say that word in their rap songs but when I said that word out loud in the queue at the post office they kicked me out the shop?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Next

Return to stonesnet forum