The Big Match Revisted

For all things Wealdstone FC

The Big Match Revisted

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:05 am

Did anyone else watch the Big Match Revisted on ITV4 Saturday morning ?

It featured Tottenham v West Ham on New Years day 1977 ( standard of football was appalling, Glenn Hoddle apart ) but of interest to Wealdstone fans was the London area final of a penalty kick competition which was held at the game.

For those of my era these were all the rage at the time.

They showed the winners spot kicks, a 13 year old Paul Waites from Watford.

Paul of course played for us in 1981/82 when we won everything but interestingly although we were awarded numerous penalties that season ( mainly for fouls on Alan Cordice) he never took one.

I suppose telling Paul Bowgett" I'm having this one F**k off "was probably not an option.

Thought this may be of interest to the older more discerning fan.

Can be seen on catchup.
The Guvnor

Re: The Big Match Revisted

Postby FGW » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:00 pm

The Guvnor wrote:Did anyone else watch the Big Match Revisted on ITV4 Saturday morning ?

It featured Tottenham v West Ham on New Years day 1977 ( standard of football was appalling, Glenn Hoddle apart ) but of interest to Wealdstone fans was the London area final of a penalty kick competition which was held at the game.

For those of my era these were all the rage at the time.

They showed the winners spot kicks, a 13 year old Paul Waites from Watford.

Paul of course played for us in 1981/82 when we won everything but interestingly although we were awarded numerous penalties that season ( mainly for fouls on Alan Cordice) he never took one.

I suppose telling Paul Bowgett" I'm having this one F**k off "was probably not an option.

Thought this may be of interest to the older more discerning fan.

Can be seen on catchup.

Made me smile :D

Tis the sort of half-time entertainment the Club should be thinking about next season which could be overseen by the Youth set-up with 14-16 year old players from across all local sides taking part.
FGW

Postby worruz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Yes I saw it yesterday.

Also showed it to my OH and even she was impressed with his penalties.

Watch it every week. Good show
' What I don't get is why is it ok for them to say that word in their rap songs but when I said that word out loud in the queue at the post office they kicked me out the shop?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby BillyByrneFan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:26 pm

I just watched this weekend's programme on catch up with Saints v Man Utd in the FA Cup 1977 the main match. What stood out for me was the atmosphere at the old Dell. The crowd were so close to players at some grounds in those days, they could've felt their breath. Plenty of kids, coppers, St. Johns and stewards wedged in the narrow gap between advertising hoardings and the touchline. Very intimidating compared to the sanitized version today. I guess it was still the workingman's game in those days.
BillyByrneFan

Return to stonesnet forum