Dennon Lewis to Charlton

For all things Wealdstone FC

Dennon Lewis to Charlton

Postby John Young » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:15 am

Last night Sky news , report that Charlton are very interested in buying Dennon from us. Figure quoted £50k . If he goes I wish him all the best and thank him for the excitement he brought us this season with his pace, skill and goals. A bright talent who with hard work has a bright future in the game we all enjoy.
John Young

Re: Dennon Lewis to Charlton

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 am

I'm guessing the money would come in handy right now but at the same time we would be losing our best player just as we are going up a league.

However you can't stand in the way of a player and life always goes on so its down to DB to find the next nugget.

Seeing how DB operates I would imagine he has a list of players lined up to replace any that move on as he knows he has to maintain the momentum which is very important when clubs move up a division.

We all saw what happened when we went up from the Ryman to NLS, lost some good players, failed to replace them and any momentum gained from our promotion was lost in the space of 2/3 weeks. That takes some doing but we managed it.

Just as an aside I thought Charlton had a transfer embargo ?
The Guvnor

Postby timfparks » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Yes, I believe they can’t sign anyone at all until next summer, let alone now. Sounds like agent talk to me, and the Sun happily lapping it up
timfparks

Postby kwilks » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:35 pm

I agree Tim. The agent looking like he's doing the PR spade work to get Dennon's availability for league football out into the public domain. He'll know all about Charlton's transfer embargo but now all the other championship through to league 2 clubs that didn't know about him before, will be having a sniff.

With the state of the finances in many league clubs, it would really make sense for them to unearth some gems from non league like Dennon, redirecting their attention from what ordinarily might have been them targeting a league player on double the wage they'll pay our boy.

It would be a sad day if he goes, but i think a lot of us would thank him for such a massive contribution he made to the league title, and good luck to the lad if he gets his chance. Plus I dare say a transfer fee of £50k would come in pretty hand for Stones in rebuilding the squad for next season, unless that figure has been made up by the Sun!!
kwilks

Postby timfparks » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:43 pm

That figure will have been plucked out of the ether Kevin. Dennon has been offered a year’s extension to his contract and he’d be best advised to stay here and impress again. THEN people will really sit up and take notice... unfortunately there are stacks of decent, quick and creative players on the market for championship clubs to pluck and I doubt a NLS winger will seriously be on their radar.
Be interesting to see if Dean and Stuart Land a couple of their own targets....
timfparks

Postby The Guvnor » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:13 am

What will count against Dennon is that he's already played higher up the pyramid for several clubs without setting the world alight.

It could be that he's now developed as a person and player who is better suited to step up but other clubs will be aware of his history.

And as mentioned there are hundreds of players out there right now looking for clubs with far more impressive CV's.
The Guvnor

Postby woodman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 am

I understand up to 5 championship clubs are on the verge of ‘doing a Wigan’. Charlton being one of them. Suspect they are desperately weighing up who blinks first for the 12 point deductions and relegation or not. So highly unlikely Charlton paying £50k for anyone at this stage!
woodman

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 pm

timfparks wrote:Dennon has been offered a year’s extension to his contract and he’d be best advised to stay here and impress again. ..

The club statement said that we have activated the extension to his contract, presumably meaning that he is our player. Your statement implies that he has to accept an offer - which is correct? Of course we wouldn't stand in the way of a good offer if one comes.
Ronnie

Postby timfparks » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:40 pm

Yes Jon you're right - it has been activated so he is our player. If he went we'd be entitled to a fee.
timfparks

Postby warren » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 am

woodman wrote:I understand up to 5 championship clubs are on the verge of ‘doing a Wigan’. Charlton being one of them. Suspect they are desperately weighing up who blinks first for the 12 point deductions and relegation or not. So highly unlikely Charlton paying £50k for anyone at this stage!

what 5 other chairman had a bet on there team going down. Wigan story is worth a read and makes the FA look really bad if half of it is true
warren

Return to stonesnet forum