National / South / North play-offs.

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: National / South / North play-offs.

Postby worruz » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Dorking beat Bath and Brackley lose to Gateshead on pens.

Alty beat Chester as well
worruz

Postby sausagesandwich » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:24 pm

deadly wrote:
worruz wrote:Dartford win 3-0 at Slough Town.

Yes, not a bad game in the end. A slow cautious match in the first half but Dartford came out and scored a couple of quick goals by Sherringhsm and controlled the game from then on. Commentry was good snd informative. Incidently, did anyone else have the feed freeze up? I did toward the end but in the control icon in the bottom of the screen I was able to lower the quality to regular from HD and had no further issues.

I had several freezes and at one time a BT test card was displayed so I know it was not a problem at my end.
sausagesandwich

Postby worruz » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:34 pm

sausagesandwich wrote:
deadly wrote:
worruz wrote:Dartford win 3-0 at Slough Town.

Yes, not a bad game in the end. A slow cautious match in the first half but Dartford came out and scored a couple of quick goals by Sherringhsm and controlled the game from then on. Commentry was good snd informative. Incidently, did anyone else have the feed freeze up? I did toward the end but in the control icon in the bottom of the screen I was able to lower the quality to regular from HD and had no further issues.

I had several freezes and at one time a BT test card was displayed so I know it was not a problem at my end.

Was it that weird-looking girl playing noughts and crosses with a doll?
worruz

Postby sausagesandwich » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:46 pm

worruz wrote:
Was it that weird-looking girl playing noughts and crosses with a doll?

Sadly not. Just a few coloured blocks.
sausagesandwich

Postby deadly » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:57 pm

worruz wrote:Dorking beat Bath and Brackley lose to Gateshead on pens.

Alty beat Chester as well

I watched the Alty v Chester game in the evening after seeing the other live games, but the feed/stream ended on about 5 mins from the end of the 90, re-loaded but it was the same, very annoying.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:03 am

Watched both NL play off eliminators and was surprised at how poor the quality was. With all 4 sides being full time you could see the differences in physicality compared to NLS, but the standard of football was significantly poorer than what we witnessed from probably the best Stones side in 35 years. Halifax's goal was Long Ball Down the Middle - a goal kick launched into the opposition 18 yard box, one touch to finish, and Barnet's 2nd goal was farcical.

If we can balance our high intensity passing and pressing game with significant improvements in strength and conditioning then we may cause a few more upsets than we think..
BornundertheElmslie

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:15 am

BornundertheElmslie wrote:and was surprised at how poor the quality was.

Hopefully that is the case, and DB is right in retaining the majority of last seasons team because as things stand we still don't have one player in our squad who played higher than NLS last season.
The Guvnor

Postby charlie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Arr.. but Guvnor.!! !

When we got promotion from the Southern League to the Alliance (Conference National) . 81/82.

The club retained 13 players who had not played higher than Southern League.

That season 82/83 we finished in 3rd spot in Alliance League.
charlie

Postby attic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:44 pm

The Guvnor wrote:
BornundertheElmslie wrote:and was surprised at how poor the quality was.

Hopefully that is the case, and DB is right in retaining the majority of last seasons team because as things stand we still don't have one player in our squad who played higher than NLS last season.

Whatever you say about physical long ball football it has an annoying habit of getting results. We don't want to go back to the days of feeling frustrated every week because we played the 'better football' but got beat up by some big Essex mob.

I'd be careful about trying to apply what sone may see as moral superiority over footballing ethos. However, DBs emphasis on playing passing football but at a pace has worked brilliantly. Can it make the grade at the level above? If anyone can make it happen he can.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby worruz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:45 pm

BornundertheElmslie wrote:Watched both NL play off eliminators and was surprised at how poor the quality was. With all 4 sides being full time you could see the differences in physicality compared to NLS, but the standard of football was significantly poorer than what we witnessed from probably the best Stones side in 35 years. Halifax's goal was Long Ball Down the Middle - a goal kick launched into the opposition 18 yard box, one touch to finish, and Barnet's 2nd goal was farcical.

If we can balance our high intensity passing and pressing game with significant improvements in strength and conditioning then we may cause a few more upsets than we think..

It may be harsh judging any team in such a important game after not playing for 4 months. They may well play like that all the time, I wouldn't know, but this lock down hasn't been kind to some sides much higher up the football food chain, so it wouldn't surprise me if teams played percentages to try and get promotion.
worruz

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum