National / South / North play-offs.

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: National / South / North play-offs.

Postby worruz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:19 pm

I was hoping Weymouth came up just to get another trip to Dorset.

Just hope we're able to get there.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby 61663 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:05 pm

A confirmed trip to (ex-Cheshire) Alty...
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby worruz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 pm

61663 wrote:A confirmed trip to (ex-Cheshire) Alty...

Old adversaries.

worruz

Postby deadly » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:44 am

worruz wrote:
61663 wrote:A confirmed trip to (ex-Cheshire) Alty...

Old adversaries.

A traditional old-skool ground.
Hopefully we will be allowed to visit.

Altrincham-Moss Lane
https://www.footballgroundguide.com/lea ... expand=all

Today sees the National League play-off final take place:
Harrogate v Notts County.

Harrogate just got promoted into the National North last season from the Northern League and had put in a 3g pitch plus extra terracing to cope. If they win they will have to rip up their pitch, but I doubt any of their fans will be complaining.

Notts County will be hot favorites to return to League status, but if they fail, then a bumper crowd at the Vale could follow, if covid restrictions are lifted.
Either way, again covid permitted, a great away trip for Stones fans.

Edit: Harrogate win 3-1 so it is a trip to Nottingham that awaits

Notts County-Meadow Lane
https://www.footballgroundguide.com/lea ... ounty.html
Last edited by deadly on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby worruz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Harrogate win 3-1 so next season we will be playing league football against Notts County, Stockport County, Hartlepool United, Torquay United, Aldershot Town, Chesterfield and Wrexham.

Well done everyone involved with Wealdstone FC. The board, the management, the team and most importantly the supporters.

We've come a long way from playing (no disrespect) Cove, Clapton and Tring in the Ryman 3rd Division.

And well done to Harrogate. What an inspiration they are.

worruz

Postby deadly » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:39 pm

worruz wrote:Harrogate win 3-1 so next season we will be playing league football against

Notts County,
Stockport County,
Hartlepool United,
Torquay United,
Aldershot Town,
Chesterfield and
Wrexham.

We are only now awaiting the appeal / hearing to decide whether it will be Stevenage or Macclesfield to join that impressive and slightly unbelievable list of ex-league clubs that we will face next season.

Cheshire or Hertfordshire?
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Hmmmm.
deadly

Postby attic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:11 pm

worruz wrote:
We've come a long way from playing (no disrespect) Cove, Clapton and Tring in the Ryman 3rd Division.

And well done to Harrogate. What an inspiration they are.

I remember stumbling into the ground at Cove and getting that sinking feeling. A sun beaten pitch and a ground that was little more than a park with a fence around the playing area. We took around 100 fans there and won 9-1. It was going to be easy...... With about a month of the season to go, a handful of our fans were rucking with the Horsham players as they inflicted a mortal blow to our promotion hopes. As GB will point out over and over, it wasn't about getting the very best players but decent players who could play under pressure in front of an expectant crowd. A lesson of which he swiftly learned and built a team that achieved three promotion positions in a row.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby 61663 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:52 pm

[quote="deadly"]

Harrogate just got promoted into the National North last season from the Northern League ....<[\quote]

Bit of dramatic license, me thinks ....

Harrogate actually got ‘assimilated’ into the newly formed NLN in 2004 as they came 5th in the Northern Premier League (NPL) Premier Division.... The Northern League (Div. 1) is now a feeder league to NPL Div 1 North West
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby deadly » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:03 am

61663 wrote:
deadly wrote:

Harrogate just got promoted into the National North last season from the Northern League ....<[\quote]

Bit of dramatic license, me thinks ....

Harrogate actually got ‘assimilated’ into the newly formed NLN in 2004 as they came 5th in the Northern Premier League (NPL) Premier Division.... The Northern League (Div. 1) is now a feeder league to NPL Div 1 North West

I got confused (I easily am)
What I meant to say of course was : Harrogate just got promoted into the National last season from the National North.
A back-to-back promotion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrogate_Town_A.F.C.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
deadly

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:20 am

Certainly some impressive looking fixtures next season and ordinarily the anticipation would be going through the roof but in these strange times everything is very guarded.

I've often extolled the virtues of non league football as I genuinely believe the all round package is far superior to the likes of the Premiership but I'm now wondering if we can be still call ourselves a true non league club in the purest sense.

The National league is crammed full of Professional clubs many of whom have an extensive league history with the fan bases and stadiums to go with it.

When we last played in the 5th tier it was definitely non league but much has changed in the intervening years and I doubt the league nowadays bears any resemblance to what we experienced.

We will lose elements that most of us enjoy and have gotten used to and there will be a novelty value initially for sure. I don't mind the odd game being caged in but when it happens every week and the freedoms you are used to on away days no longer exist then it can become a grind.

We are probably now in a half and half environment stuck between the simplicity and quaintness of non league against the sanitisation and ruthlessness of the professional game.

Big challenges ahead on and off the pitch.
The Guvnor

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum