Trophy lifted

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby GingerGuy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:14 pm

So I’m confused. Are people complaining that they couldn’t go to the presentation and celebrate with their friends?
Do you think social distancing would have been observed?
We’re heading for another wave of COVID as people get fed up with the rules (see Spain), and when these presentations are publicised, all the rules seem to go out of the window.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jul/24/dont-blame-liverpool-and-leeds-fans-for-celebrating-outside-their-stadiums (sorry, for the Guardian link, Attic. You can wash your mind out after reading it. 20 seconds min please).
I realise that a lot of people have done a lot for the club over the last 30 years to raise us back up to the Conference.
And ideally we would all have celebrated the title after the title-clinching match, but it is what it is.
This great season has been ultimately ruined for us, and potentially next season has too.
I was looking forward to some of the more enticing away games, and to seeing how our great management team deal with the new challenges of playing in the Conference, but I'm not going until it's safe (and not when the government says "it's safe"). So that will probably be taken way from me as well. :cry:
GingerGuy
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby attic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:30 pm

Tonyd wrote:You were there Attic, with your camera?


Obviously, yes. Unless someone has hacked my website, Twitter account and put a load of pictures up ;)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
User avatar
attic
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby attic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 pm

GingerGuy wrote:So I’m confused. Are people complaining that they couldn’t go to the presentation and celebrate with their friends?
Do you think social distancing would have been observed?
We’re heading for another wave of COVID as people get fed up with the rules (see Spain), and when these presentations are publicised, all the rules seem to go out of the window.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jul/24/dont-blame-liverpool-and-leeds-fans-for-celebrating-outside-their-stadiums (sorry, for the Guardian link, Attic. You can wash your mind out after reading it. 20 seconds min please).
I realise that a lot of people have done a lot for the club over the last 30 years to raise us back up to the Conference.
And ideally we would all have celebrated the title after the title-clinching match, but it is what it is.
This great season has been ultimately ruined for us, and potentially next season has too.
I was looking forward to some of the more enticing away games, and to seeing how our great management team deal with the new challenges of playing in the Conference, but I'm not going until it's safe (and not when the government says "it's safe"). So that will probably be taken way from me as well. :cry:


The Hop and Vine is now open if you wanted the usual Guardian Readers matchday experience ;)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
User avatar
attic
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby worruz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:09 pm

GingerGuy wrote:So I’m confused. Are people complaining that they couldn’t go to the presentation and celebrate with their friends?
Do you think social distancing would have been observed?
We’re heading for another wave of COVID as people get fed up with the rules (see Spain), and when these presentations are publicised, all the rules seem to go out of the window.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jul/24/dont-blame-liverpool-and-leeds-fans-for-celebrating-outside-their-stadiums (sorry, for the Guardian link, Attic. You can wash your mind out after reading it. 20 seconds min please).
I realise that a lot of people have done a lot for the club over the last 30 years to raise us back up to the Conference.
And ideally we would all have celebrated the title after the title-clinching match, but it is what it is.
This great season has been ultimately ruined for us, and potentially next season has too.
I was looking forward to some of the more enticing away games, and to seeing how our great management team deal with the new challenges of playing in the Conference, but I'm not going until it's safe (and not when the government says "it's safe"). So that will probably be taken way from me as well. :cry:


Nothing to be confused about.
Explain the point of a trophy presentation that the fans can't be at or see.
There were a few hundred fans in the ground the other week.

If we couldn't do the presentation without fans it should have been declined.

In my opinion
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby Dave Reader » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:36 am

I don’t comment much on hear anymore but it’s a great read sometimes however, I was quite vocal about this on other media streams. I was at the club with the groundwork’s lads yesterday and it was explained to me so here is this version. The league gagged the club over making any comments or announcements prior to the presentation evening so the clubs hands were tied in that respect.Could the club have said no thanks we will wait until fans can join in the event ? I’m not so sure that would have tactically been a sensible thing to do as we are the new boys ( Bappo I agree with you , I would have liked us to have said that) . There were a number of people having a drink in the afternoon at the famous FADS myself included and nothing was mentioned there. I left about four and as always there were some who stayed on to carry on drinking. These few were the lucky ones as they were still there when the event turned up and quickly put two and two together and were in the right place at the right time and were allowed to stay and attend the event.
Had I Still been there like most supporters I would have taken advantage of the situation afforded me as well. Where the problem arises is that the club put out a comment later explaining why supporters could not attend as numbers had been limited to 30 only which by the way was a council decision not a league one. Strange that the council were not concerned about us having around 400 down the a few Saturdays ago but such is. There are numerous pictures showing those lucky few So to a lot of fans are asking how come they were allowed in and we weren’t . A statement from the club would probably appease a lot of ill feeling amongst supporters as it currently looks like a huge own goal as we will all soon be encouraged again to donate towards the playing budget through various schemes something I have done despite how I felt like many others on Friday night.

It’s been a weird year thus far and this is all part of the weirdness and personally as alluded to earlier I would like to see something in writing from the club. I have been assured that an event for all will be arranged when the club is able to do so. We are back in the National League it’s going to be a real rollercoaster if and when it starts, no one knows when yet and even if supporters can attend. I can’t wait. Anyway I hope this explains Friday a little more clearly as was explained to me......UTS
Dave Reader
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby Ronnie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:18 am

Dave Reader wrote:I don’t comment much on hear anymore but it’s a great read sometimes however, I was quite vocal about this on other media streams. I was at the club with the groundwork’s lads yesterday and it was explained to me so here is this version. The league gagged the club over making any comments or announcements prior to the presentation evening so the clubs hands were tied in that respect.Could the club have said no thanks we will wait until fans can join in the event ? I’m not so sure that would have tactically been a sensible thing to do as we are the new boys ( Bappo I agree with you , I would have liked us to have said that) . There were a number of people having a drink in the afternoon at the famous FADS myself included and nothing was mentioned there. I left about four and as always there were some who stayed on to carry on drinking. These few were the lucky ones as they were still there when the event turned up and quickly put two and two together and were in the right place at the right time and were allowed to stay and attend the event.
Had I Still been there like most supporters I would have taken advantage of the situation afforded me as well. Where the problem arises is that the club put out a comment later explaining why supporters could not attend as numbers had been limited to 30 only which by the way was a council decision not a league one. Strange that the council were not concerned about us having around 400 down the a few Saturdays ago but such is. There are numerous pictures showing those lucky few So to a lot of fans are asking how come they were allowed in and we weren’t . A statement from the club would probably appease a lot of ill feeling amongst supporters as it currently looks like a huge own goal as we will all soon be encouraged again to donate towards the playing budget through various schemes something I have done despite how I felt like many others on Friday night.

It’s been a weird year thus far and this is all part of the weirdness and personally as alluded to earlier I would like to see something in writing from the club. I have been assured that an event for all will be arranged when the club is able to do so. We are back in the National League it’s going to be a real rollercoaster if and when it starts, no one knows when yet and even if supporters can attend. I can’t wait. Anyway I hope this explains Friday a little more clearly as was explained to me......UTS


Anyone who happened by chance to have been there would have hung around. The club's hand was forced, but nonetheless could have handled the situation better in my opinion. The FADS who got lucky should have been told quite simply, you can stay, but no phones, no photos, no posting on social media. I'm led to believe that there was a request not to post on social media, but this was ignored. Those that chose to ignore it abused the privilege offered to them by being allowed to stay and watch the presentation, and that includes the Fans Twitter account. I think that was wrong. The presentation was a photo opportunity, no more no less, so again the club should have managed that sensibly and sensitively recognising that the majority of fans were not there. Having Attic there to take the photos for the club, sensible. The photos should have been just management team and players, others joining in just adds to the irritation felt by those not there. And that should have been that, then lo and behold pictures appear of some of the privileged few posing with the Trophy as well. Jealous no, disappointed yes.
User avatar
Ronnie
 
Posts: 2395
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:38 am

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby attic » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:38 pm

Slightly contraversial...but a number of those at FADS you could consider 'staff' anyway. Hours, days, weeks, months, years of service doing groundworks. If anyone deserves an unintended privilege it's those guys. I've seen talk of 'fans of x amount of years have been shafted'.... but personally I'm extremely glad that those who got to see it have been amongst the most proactive in helping the club progress during the last ten years.

As for photos, there was only one actual embargo of which was swiftly broken and could yet cost us. Some others may have caused a few temporary hurty feelings but if you begrudge your own mates/friends/co stoats lucking out on a fairly sober event something is wrong.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
User avatar
attic
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby Ronnie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:46 pm

attic wrote:Slightly contraversial...but a number of those at FADS you could consider 'staff' anyway. Hours, days, weeks, months, years of service doing groundworks. If anyone deserves an unintended privilege it's those guys. I've seen talk of 'fans of x amount of years have been shafted'.... but personally I'm extremely glad that those who got to see it have been amongst the most proactive in helping the club progress during the last ten years.

As for photos, there was only one actual embargo of which was swiftly broken and could yet cost us. Some others may have caused a few hurty feelings but if you begrudge your own mates/friends/co stoats lucking out on a fairly sober event something is wrong.


I disagree. The privilege was being allowed to witness the presentation, should have ended there in my opinion.
User avatar
Ronnie
 
Posts: 2395
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:38 am

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby worruz » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:05 pm

attic wrote:Slightly contraversial...but a number of those at FADS you could consider 'staff' anyway. Hours, days, weeks, months, years of service doing groundworks. If anyone deserves an unintended privilege it's those guys. I've seen talk of 'fans of x amount of years have been shafted'.... but personally I'm extremely glad that those who got to see it have been amongst the most proactive in helping the club progress during the last ten years.

As for photos, there was only one actual embargo of which was swiftly broken and could yet cost us. Some others may have caused a few temporary hurty feelings but if you begrudge your own mates/friends/co stoats lucking out on a fairly sober event something is wrong.

I don’t think anyone has said that they begrudge anyone who was lucky enough to just be there at the time.

Not that I’ve seen anyway.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Previous

Return to stonesnet forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests