Trophy lifted

For all things Wealdstone FC

Trophy lifted

Postby torben » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:12 pm

League trophy lifted in front of selected people and officials today at 7pm. FADS were there and happened to capture it. Not sure I can say what I feel about this....it hurts too deep. I happened to be here with FADS. See my Facebook and Twitter page for a poor video and snaps. Sorry I was not ready and the battery on my phone ran out.

In honour of Markie and Mim, Volunteers and all those that did not make it. Apologies I cannot remember all the names...
torben

Re: Trophy lifted

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:40 pm

It's my train set and you're not playing with it!
Kettering punchbag.

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:28 am

Obviously good to see but as people keep saying football without fans is nothing.

That raw emotion that you get when celebrating a big win or indeed a trophy in front of your fans was just not there but we knew that.

It will be forever etched into our history but how hollow does it feel ?

Of course there is a counter argument that if the season had run to its conclusion then we may not have won the league and that would have been a bitter pill to swallow having been top throughout.

So all in all we'll take it, and perhaps the feeling of we've been robbed should be replaced with maybe we've been very lucky.
The Guvnor

Postby Not Happy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:08 am

Some of the frothing on social media is beyond parody. There are some very strict government directives of which there is no escape from. Seems it wasn't a problem at any of the other clubs. Only at Wealdstone and from some who don't even go to games regularly.
Not Happy

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:08 pm

It also has to be said what exactly are you missing ?

Players jumping up and down and spraying each other with Champagne, yeah triffic.

The Trophy or replica will be in a cabinet for all to see at every home game next season.

What really matters is the level of football we are playing at next season. Better players/teams, bigger crowds, better stadiums and a general improvement on all things associated with the league we'll be playing in.

Thats our reward x 46.
The Guvnor

Postby worruz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Not Happy wrote:Some of the frothing on social media is beyond parody. There are some very strict government directives of which there is no escape from. Seems it wasn't a problem at any of the other clubs. Only at Wealdstone and from some who don't even go to games regularly.

I don't wish this to descend into a ruck but I must take you up on the 'frothing'.

Yes, there was some frothing. I was a bit bemused to see some posts on twitter yesterday evening of what looked like the start of a trophy presentation and this culminated in....yes a trophy presentation. I like many had no idea it was taking place. Some clearly did, which is fair enough. They get the memos that many wouldn't get. That's understandable at any club, whether it be football, cricket, golf or Freemasons etc.

My issue is that that trophy lift wasn't for a select few. I get that there are guidelines. Then if there are guidelines, as far as I'm concerned, just in my opinion, the presentation should have been left until more of us could attend it. There are many fans who have been around the club for 20, 30, 40, 50+ years who would have probably loved to be there last night. It shouldn't have been the preserve of a lucky few. That's just my opinion. We're back at the top table of non league football. Without wishing to sound too emotive maybe we should examine how the club has had that chance to be at the top table. All the years many of our fans kept the club alive in the last, dark days at Lower Mead, through Watford, Yeading, Edgware, Northwood and finally at the Vale. All the money, time and work put in by several. For me the promotion is for everyone, old and new fans but I cant help thinking of what we've been through as a club. I don't really care about what the attitude of other clubs fans are and I know Barrow and Kings Lynn have both had their problems but as far as I'm concerned if the league said we could only have a certain number of people present we should have said thanks but no thanks. We'll wait. That my opinion anyway. The club is for all of us, not just a few.
I was more pi ssed off about this yesterday evening than I am today but reading the concerns described as frothing doesn't go down too well with me.

Don't take the fans for granted. Petty I know, but I was thinking last night about why should I bother doing the admittedly small things I do at the club if we're to be sidelined like this. I'm not usually that petty but I was definitely thinking it yesterday.

Anyway, that's all just my opinion. Its 'just' a trophy presentation but a trophy presentation is for the fans really. Obviously Leeds and Liverpool didn't have their fans present for their trophy lift but at least it was televised so they could see it.
Last edited by worruz on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby worruz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm

The Guvnor wrote:It also has to be said what exactly are you missing ?

Players jumping up and down and spraying each other with Champagne, yeah triffic.

The Trophy or replica will be in a cabinet for all to see at every home game next season.

What really matters is the level of football we are playing at next season. Better players/teams, bigger crowds, better stadiums and a general improvement on all things associated with the league we'll be playing in.

Thats our reward x 46.

That's your opinion and I respect it but a lot of people would have loved to be there. Trophy presentations are for the fans as far as I'm concerned. Park football when there's barely anyone there and smaller (no disrespect) non-league clubs that win things but dont have much support tis more for the players but we are Wealdstone.

Its not surprising that people didn't just leave the ground in 2014 before the trophy was presented. Its part of your memories and I very often think back to that day and also other Wealdstone trophy presentation days long past.

Again that's just my opinion.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby Stoney Ground » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:51 pm

worruz wrote:
Not Happy wrote:Some of the frothing on social media is beyond parody. There are some very strict government directives of which there is no escape from. Seems it wasn't a problem at any of the other clubs. Only at Wealdstone and from some who don't even go to games regularly.

I don't wish this to descend into a ruck but I must take you up on the 'frothing'.

Yes, there was some frothing. I was a bit bemused to see some posts on twitter yesterday evening of what looked like the start of a trophy presentation and this culminated in....yes a trophy presentation. I like many had no idea it was taking place. Some clearly did, which is fair enough. They get the memos that many wouldn't get. That's understandable at any club, whether it be football, cricket, golf or Freemasons etc.

My issue is that that trophy lift wasn't for a select few. I get that there are guidelines. Then if there are guidelines, as far as I'm concerned, just in my opinion, the presentation should have been left until more of us could attend it. There are many fans who have been around the club for 20, 30, 40, 50+ years who would have probably loved to be there last night. It shouldn't have been the preserve of a lucky few. That's just my opinion. We're back at the top table of non league football. Without wishing to sound too emotive maybe we should examine how the club has had that chance to be at the top table. All the years many of our fans kept the club alive in the last, dark days at Lower Mead, through Watford, Yeading, Edgware, Northwood and finally at the Vale. All the money, time and work put in by several. For me the promotion is for everyone, old and new fans but I cant help thinking of what we've been through as a club. I don't really care about what the attitude of other clubs fans are and I know Barrow and Kings Lynn have both had their problems but as far as I'm concerned if the league said we could only have a certain number of people present we should have said thanks but no thanks. We'll wait. That my opinion anyway. The club is for all of us, not just a few.
I was more pi ssed off about this yesterday evening than I am today but reading the concerns described as frothing doesn't go down too well with me. D
on't take the fans for granted. Petty I know, but I was thinking last night about why should I bother doing the admittedly small things I do at the club if we're to be sidelined like this. I'm not usually that petty but I was definitely thinking it yesterday.

Anyway, that's all just my opinion. Its 'just' a trophy presentation but a trophy presentation is for the fans really. Obviously Leeds and Liverpool didn't have their fans present for their trophy lift but at least it was televised so they could see it.

Very well put Bappo, I couldn’t agree more.
Stoney Ground

Postby attic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Open and honest disclosure prior to the event would have prevent the majority of ill feeling. If the powers that be insisted on the Trophy being lifted this weekend in a more or less empty stadium then could we not have just let this be known beforehand? I'm sure the opportunity to have a more 'public' event later in the year is there. Trying to keep the whole thing secret has had the effect of creating a 'them and us' situation. Surely we were aware of the fact there would be people helping in the ground and attending FADS that were going to cotton on?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Tonyd » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm

You were there Attic, with your camera?
Tonyd

Next

Return to stonesnet forum