Extraordinary General Meeting

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Extraordinary General Meeting

Postby Bananas » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:07 am

attic wrote:
worruz wrote:
The Guvnor wrote:
Yes, like when a Pandemic comes along and you lose the ability to generate any income.

I suspect Leo losing his position at the social club was at least partly due to the financial situation and may not have been an issue had those funds still been intact.

Still the money was well spent, a striker who couldn't score in the old proverbial knocking shop and a midfielder who spent half the game sliding around on his backside with a passing range of 10 yards and only then when sideways and backwards.

UTS

Exactly. Fugging scandalous waste of money

I've tried to be as even handed as possible with the PM scenario. However I don't think anyone, not even those few PM diehards can defend some of the ludicrous wages that were paid to players. For me its not so much the players in question but what we decided to pay them. Interestingly enough both players mentioned above were seen as very good signings. Cox was voted player of the year during his first season. Pratt......well there's a thread on his signing which suggests the bees knees were about to waltz into town. One posting even mentioning 'Michael Owen' :lol:

What we decided to pay them was in no way the players fault and in the case of Pratt, proved to be a huge millstone around his neck of which possibly affected his performances. Its all water under the bridge now and hopefully we're wiser for this. I agree with what Bananas stated though....thank god the rest of the board had the power to pull the plug when its clear that things were going to reach a sticky end.

Its all done now

Jeepers, some of the contracts handed out were bonkers, majority with big basic salary and no performance related pay. Unheard of in non-league terms.
That was one if GB's talents, contract negotiation. He'd get decent players to sign on fairly low wages that had potential to pay really well based on their PRP clauses.
Remember he promised one player (who shall remain nameless) something like £150 odd goal bonus and the player resigned immediately. Fact that player in all his time had never scored for us, and by the time he left only had one goal to his name on paid off magnificently.
Gordon had been doing stuff like that for 20 years, hence how he managed to secure some really decent players for silly money.
Back on track though, there was one player (who again will remain nameless but you can join the dots) who GB offered "only" £400 a week because in his opinion that was as much as he was worth. That player went to the chairman and demanded more and was given a £700+ a week contract straight away without consulting the manager.
That's how ludicrously out of control our finances were.

We're genuinely lucky to still be in business, fans owe so much to the board for taking a tough, but correct decision when they did.
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby worruz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:08 pm

Bananas wrote:Back on track though, there was one player (who again will remain nameless but you can join the dots) who GB offered "only" £400 a week because in his opinion that was as much as he was worth. That player went to the chairman and demanded more and was given a £700+ a week contract straight away without consulting the manager.
T

I think we all know who that one is don't we?

Even I do and I'm horrendously out of the loop on most things.

The Chairman should never go over the managers head on issues like that.

Undermining and a recipe for disaster.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby charlie » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Im horrendously out of the loop and Bonkers as well.

This was a case of let the heartache begin for sure. The player was the centre half who never figured Long John Baldry.

Did any one get any commission ?.. Of course they did and Why not.
charlie

Postby deadly » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:15 am

Peter was certainly an approachable and likable person during his tenure as chairman.

However, from his stints at both Accrington & Wealdstone it appears that in essence he is a high-risks gambler, betting heavily on getting promotion, and like a compulsive obsessive gambler, ignoring all danger signs & doubling up his bets.

From the outside it looked to me as if he somehow thought that the club could get hold of the lease of the ground, and if it had done that, then all debts run up would be paid off by selling the ground off and his 'investment ' would be paid back, complete with a handsome profit.

Either that, or, if promotion was achieved, then new investors would come flooding into the club, again allowing his 'investment' to be paid back in spades.

Not quite a role model for stability.
I was defiantly very much in favor of Peter leading the club, but alas, as the mounting stories of financial suicide came out, less so.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:45 am

PM was also at the helm during negotiations with our landlords which has to be said was a greatly disappointing outcome.

Again as a fan base I don't think there was enough intrusion into how we ended up basically getting shafted.

This is pure speculation of course and I have no hard facts but when you see how the club was run at that time you do wonder.

Meanwhile at the happy clappy glee club a player dumps on the club and fans and receives best wishes all round.

maybe its just me.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:45 am

The Guvnor wrote:PM was also at the helm during negotiations with our landlords which has to be said was a greatly disappointing outcome.

Again as a fan base I don't think there was enough intrusion into how we ended up basically getting shafted.

Until we have an alternative site lined up they probably hold all the aces.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby BKK » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:00 am

Again ignorance is bliss by many on this forum in respect to PM perpetrated by those with axes to grind. I was there and saw much of what went on. Sick of the character assassinations by some who know nothing of the facts. The lease for instance was the best deal that could be achieved at that time despite what others may have contested.
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
BKK

Postby charlie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Come on then BKK...

Spill the beans/name some names/fill in the blanks. Correct the mistakes !

I am sure you are more informed than whats his name?... Apples/Pears and Bananas .
charlie

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:18 pm

BKK wrote:PM perpetrated by those with axes to grind.

The only person with an axe to grind is PM himself, publicly stating that he's out to make life as hard as possible for the current board which in turn potentially damages the future of our club.

Don't see how anyone who cares about Wealdstone FC can defend him right now.

The gloves are off.
The Guvnor

Postby BKK » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:31 pm

The Guvnor wrote:
BKK wrote:PM perpetrated by those with axes to grind.

The only person with an axe to grind is PM himself, publicly stating that he's out to make life as hard as possible for the current board which in turn potentially damages the future of our club.

Don't see how anyone who cares about Wealdstone FC can defend him right now.

The gloves are off.

Wrong! If you actually listened to his statement you would have learnt a few things. In fact a poster on here has a major axe to grind! Two sides to every story but those who spout loudest and all that..
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
BKK

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum