Fascinating Facts (...or tedious trivia!)

For all things Wealdstone FC

Fascinating Facts (...or tedious trivia!)

Postby s.k.khanna » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:34 am

All relative of course but since our promotion confirmation I’ve seen a few Wealdstone people throw some nostalgic facts and figures onto social media. Contributions for the most part from people who’ve done the journey from our relegation from the Conference in 1988 up to the present day. As you'd expect a lot of changes have taken place in the intervening 32 years and the place we’re going to is much changed to the one we left.

There are probably at least 2 generations of Wealdstone fans who’ve never seen us play at the top level of non-league football so for them there’s lots to catch up on. As a lover of a good stat I’ve been looking at some the changes and will be throwing them on here for your perusal. If anybody has any others feel free to throw them on here too.

To begin with there’s been a lot of talk recently about the happenings at Dover Athletic and their possible demise. It should be remembered that Dover Athletic themselves are a reformed club formally known as Dover but folded in 1983 due to its massive debts. If for no other reason the deceased teams below should be seen as a testament to the good people of this club that whilst others have dwindled & died we have kept it going and not only survived our setbacks but returned to the top level of the non-league pyramid despite them.

So taking a look at the 1987/1988 League Table [ http://fchd.info/lghist/conf1988.htm ] of the 22 clubs that participated there are six clubs that we played back then that no longer exist. While some may consider that a reformed club are the same club - I don’t. In the same way that Victor Frankenstein creating his monster from the dismembered body parts of previous corpses didn’t name his monster after the people he dismembered, I do not consider reformed clubs the same as their previous entity.

In chronological order…

1. DAGENHAM (MERGED 1992)
MERGED with Redbridge Forest to become Dagenham & Redbridge in 1992. Redbridge Forest themselves were an amalgamation of Leytonstone, Ilford & Walthamstow Avenue over various periods in history. We will of course be playing the Daggers (as they still like to call themselves) in the National Premier next season. They play at Dagenham’s former Victoria Road ground with all the other grounds now housing estates.

2. MAIDSTONE UNITED (FOLDED 1992)
After promotion they became members of the Football League between 1989 and 1992. Unfortunately they spent large sums of money getting there and and their poor form didn’t really help as running costs exceeded income and they became unsustainable. Unable to come up with the necessary backing they resigned from the league and went into liquidation being declared bankrupt in 1992.
They reformed originally as Maidstone Invicta in 1993 and then changed their name to Maidstone United in 1995. The new club currently play at the newly constructed Gallagher Stadium in National League South.

3. TELFORD UNITED (FOLDED 2004)
Liquidated on 27 May 2004 due to financial problems when the club's debts totalled over £4 million. On the same day, Telford United Supporters Limited announced that a new club would be formed which were called AFC Telford United. The reformed club currently play in the National League North at the New Bucks Head Ground which is the old Bucks Head Ground with renovations made in 2000.

4. RUNCORN (FOLDED 2006)
In 2000 their run down Canal Street Ground (where they had played since 1918) was sold for housing and they moved to the 11,000-seat Halton Stadium in Widnes, which was also used by the town's rugby team and Everton reserves. The club renamed itself Runcorn FC Halton in 2001 to reflect its new location. Their stay at Halton Stadium was shortlived due to costs and had to move to Southport's Haig Avenue, and then to share Valerie Park, home of local rivals Prescot Cables. After suffering more years of financial crisis, in 2006 the decision was made by the Board to officially confirm its resignation from the league and cease activity.
Disgruntled supporters formed the breakaway club Runcorn Linnets in the 2006 off-season and now currently play in the Northern Premier League Division 1 North/West at the Millbank Linnets Stadium.

5. ENFIELD (FOLDED 2007)
A club whose fans apparently sent Wealdstone a wreath when we lost our Lower Mead ground, they themselves lost their Southbury Road ground in 1999 when it was sold for housing and retail development forcing them into a ground share at Borehamwood. Various dubious events took place before they were eventually liquidated in 2007 due to the debts owed to the Inland Revenue by former chairman Tony Lazarou.
Miraculously they reformed the same year as Enfield 1893, dropped the “1893” and renamed themselves back as Enfield in 2019. The reformed club currently play in the Essex Senior League at Bishop's Stortford’s Woodside Park.
Not to be confused with Enfield Town who were founded in 2001 by the Enfield Supporters' Trust. After Enfield sold their Southbury Road ground Trust members considered the regime in charge of Enfield no longer had the interests of the club at heart so they created their own team. Enfield Town play at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium in Enfield in the Isthmian League Premier Division.

6. FISHER ATHLETIC (FOLDED 2009)
Changed their name to Fisher ’93 in 1993, then to Fisher Athletic London in 1996, Wealdstone have in fact played all 3 incarnations of the club. During the 90’s, Fisher Athletic’s Surrey Docks Stadium was one of a cluster of destinations that Wealdstone fans made sponsored walks to that raised life-saving funds to keep our club alive. A ground that was once designed to be developed to Football League standard has since been knocked down and redeveloped for housing instead. Before their demise, Fisher Athletic London had built up massive debts, they had stopped paying players but it was due to the inability to repay their debt to the Inland Revenue that they were eventually wound up in the High Court in 2009.
In the same year, under the auspices of the same Chairman and Club President, a supporters trust was formed to take control of a reformed Fisher FC. The new club currently play in the Kent League at the new St Paul's Sports Ground, a venue not far from their old one.
s.k.khanna

Re: Fascinating Facts (...or tedious trivia!)

Postby charlie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:44 pm

I do think that since Wealdstone Football Club lost/sold Lower Mead in 1991... The clubs silver went West forever.

We are no different to the clubs you have mentioned above...,some who have progressed ground wise... far better than us.

Wealdstone lost its home and has never returned.... Thank god !!...some would say ..and demographically population wise for fans... spot on.

Maidstone/Enfield/Telford/Dagenham etc etc .. Still have the same names , whats the difference .. And they have better grounds !
charlie

Postby s.k.khanna » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:09 pm

charlie wrote: We are no different to the clubs you have mentioned above...Maidstone/Enfield/Telford/Dagenham etc etc .. Still have the same names , whats the difference ?

History. We have one and they don’t!

Maybe a bit old school perhaps but the Wealdstone Football Club that I support is the same one that Roger Slater tells me in his book was founded in 1899. Reading the chronological archive of events in that tome, on our social club walls, and history books elsewhere as well as the myriad of programmes that have been produced in the past under that name I can relate to it all in the present time as it’s the same Club I support now. The one that’s made 3 Wembley appearances dating back to 1942 but nearly rendered irrelevant when the administrators were called in during the 90’s. We managed to fight them off and so that history forms an important part of our past. The Club that Lew Sheppard (age 92) tells me he’s been going to since he was a child (some fascinating wartime stories there) and is the same one that Miriam Goodman took her offspring to during the 80’s. The one that’s over 121 years old, the last 48 years of which I have spent watching home & away and in so doing developed an emotive and symbiotic attachment to that I don’t think I could sever now even if I wanted to. Admittedly a relationship that has brought much pain and anguish but also occasionally great joy all of which I can share and reminisce with other like-minded people comfortable in the knowledge that we’re all talking about one and the same club.

All those clubs you mention can’t do that because they’re new creations and can only talk about what it used to be like. If it’s a club in a shiny new stadium you want I believe there’s one currently sited just down the road at Prince Edward Playing Fields but the colour scheme’s a bit black & gold for my liking and the pitch is really sh*t. Me, I’d rather go to the Vale. It’s a bit basic there and it’s not very shiny but that’s because it’s been mainly built by the back-breaking efforts of similar thinking people but at least I’ll be happy in the knowledge that it’s now Step 1 standard (or will be), we'll be playing in a division higher than those other clubs and it’s what I can call “home”.
s.k.khanna

Postby s.k.khanna » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:14 pm

...and whilst we're on the subject of history, when we play Notts County (Founded 1862) in the National Premier next season, it will be the second time that Wealdstone will have played a founder member of the Football League in a competitive match. The first was against Port Vale (away) on Saturday 26 Nov 1949 in the FA Cup 1st Round when we lost 0 - 1.

I don’t know whether I’ve seen a programme for it or something similar but in my head I have it that we may have played Wolverhampton Wanderers in a Derek Dougan testimonial or something at Lower Mead but I don’t have it confirmed anywhere. If someone does then please let me know!
s.k.khanna

Postby matteo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:15 pm

s.k.khanna wrote:...and whilst we're on the subject of history, when we play Notts County (Founded 1862) in the National Premier next season, it will be the second time that Wealdstone will have played a founder member of the Football League in a competitive match. The first was against Port Vale (away) on Saturday 26 Nov 1949 in the FA Cup 1st Round when we lost 0 - 1.

I don’t know whether I’ve seen a programme for it or something similar but in my head I have it that we may have played Wolverhampton Wanderers in a Derek Dougan testimonial or something at Lower Mead but I don’t have it confirmed anywhere. If someone does then please let me know!

I believe Port Vale were NOT founder member of the Football League (but they were of Football League Division Two).

Wealdstone played Wolves in a testimonial match in 1975: https://www.wfchistory.com/wp-content/u ... gramme.pdf
matteo

Postby worruz » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:59 pm

matteo wrote:
s.k.khanna wrote:...and whilst we're on the subject of history, when we play Notts County (Founded 1862) in the National Premier next season, it will be the second time that Wealdstone will have played a founder member of the Football League in a competitive match. The first was against Port Vale (away) on Saturday 26 Nov 1949 in the FA Cup 1st Round when we lost 0 - 1.

I believe Port Vale were NOT founder member of the Football League (but they were of Football League Division Two).

Wealdstone played Wolves in a testimonial match in 1975: https://www.wfchistory.com/wp-content/u ... gramme.pdf

Founder members in 1888 if I'm not mistaken

Accrington
Burnley
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Everton
Derby
Aston Villa - Will Macgregor was a visionary
Notts County
Stoke City
Preston North End
Wolverhampton Wanderers
West Bromwich Albion
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby worruz » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:01 pm

s.k.khanna wrote:Maybe a bit old school perhaps but the Wealdstone Football Club that I support is the same one that Roger Slater tells me in his book was founded in 1899.

Roger will bonk you on the head for saying 1899 for a start.
Last edited by worruz on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby s.k.khanna » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:26 am

matteo wrote: I believe Port Vale were NOT founder member of the Football League (but they were of Football League Division Two).

Ooops!!! Quite correct of course Matteo and my apologies to all concerned. When I was working at the FA and doing my research at the time I was reading about Port Vale and had it in my head that they were founder members of the Football League but age unfortunately had diminished the bit about it being the 2nd Division they were founder members of. (Yes I know I should've checked!)
But whilst I'm on here, having had a quick look (without checking) at the Founder Members of the 2nd Division again, we have of course played Lincoln City & Northwich Victoria who were also founder members of the 2nd Division.

matteo wrote: Wealdstone played Wolves in a testimonial match in 1975: https://www.wfchistory.com/wp-content/u ... gramme.pdf

Mick Fishman has also informed me additionally:
"I believe the match against Wolverhampton Wanderers to which you refer was that played on 14th April 1975 (I think) and was a testimonial match for Eric Burgess who had retired form the game through injury. If you were there you may recall that Anthea Redfern kicked off the match as her sister was then married to Eric. The late Bruce Forsyth was also present, I think."
Thanks Matteo Mike & Worruz for the info and supporting evidence.
s.k.khanna

Postby s.k.khanna » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:38 am

worruz wrote:
s.k.khanna wrote:Maybe a bit old school perhaps but the Wealdstone Football Club that I support is the same one that Roger Slater tells me in his book was founded in 1899.

Roger will bonk you on the head for saying 1899 for s start.

Why ?
Quoting from Roger's book on page vii under the sub-heading "Wealdstone FC":
" 1899 Wealdstone Albion FC dropped the 'Albion' and became Wealdstone FC also being joined by the remaining players from Wealdstone Wanderers FC and Wealdstone Rovers FC. Played in the Willesden and District League Division II as Wealdstone FC for the first time."

...unlike the Port Vale boo boo that bit I did check on!!! :geek:
s.k.khanna

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:53 am

s.k.khanna wrote:The late Bruce Forsyth was also present, I think."

Indeed he was, I think he actually kicked the game off.

Wolves sent down their first team and we had a couple of guest players one of whom was Jimmy Greaves so it was a big night. We lost 5-2, with George Duck scoring both and a very big crowd in possibly 3-4000 from memory.

Maybe someone can confirm that, although not Sudhir as he'll probably say it was around the 10000 mark.
The Guvnor

Next

Return to stonesnet forum