Fascinating Facts (...or tedious trivia!)

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Fascinating Facts (...or tedious trivia!)

Postby Elmslie Ender » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:14 am

The Guvnor wrote:
s.k.khanna wrote:The late Bruce Forsyth was also present, I think."

Indeed he was, I think he actually kicked the game off.

Wolves sent down their first team and we had a couple of guest players one of whom was Jimmy Greaves so it was a big night. We lost 5-2, with George Duck scoring both and a very big crowd in possibly 3-4000 from memory.

Maybe someone can confirm that, although not Sudhir as he'll probably say it was around the 10000 mark.

My red book says 5,000. Can't find Wobs' book.
Elmslie Ender

Postby worruz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:40 am

s.k.khanna wrote:
worruz wrote:
s.k.khanna wrote:Maybe a bit old school perhaps but the Wealdstone Football Club that I support is the same one that Roger Slater tells me in his book was founded in 1899.

Roger will bonk you on the head for saying 1899 for s start.

Why ?
Quoting from Roger's book on page vii under the sub-heading "Wealdstone FC":
" 1899 Wealdstone Albion FC dropped the 'Albion' and became Wealdstone FC also being joined by the remaining players from Wealdstone Wanderers FC and Wealdstone Rovers FC. Played in the Willesden and District League Division II as Wealdstone FC for the first time."

...unlike the Port Vale boo boo that bit I did check on!!! :geek:

Manchester Utd were founded as Newton Heath FYR in 1878. They didn't become Manchester Utd until 1902, but to me the club was founded in 1878.

If its directly the same club name changes don't count as far as I'm concerned. Its still inherently the same club.

Look at Arsenal

Dial Square, Royal Arsenal. Woolwich Arsenal then Arsenal. - Same club

Don't start me on Leyton Orient. Too many changes.

If its the same club, its the same club.

If the 'club' in 1899 became a different one from the one when it was called Wealdstone Albion then fair enough its a different club.
If it was just a name change then its the same club as far as I'm concerned.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby FGW » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Elmslie Ender wrote:
The Guvnor wrote:

Wolves sent down their first team and we had a couple of guest players one of whom was Jimmy Greaves so it was a big night. We lost 5-2, with George Duck scoring both and a very big crowd in possibly 3-4000 from memory.

Maybe someone can confirm that, although not Sudhir as he'll probably say it was around the 10000 mark.

My red book says 5,000. Can't find Wobs' book.

HO Match Report suggests 4,000 were in attendance, it also makes for interesting reading...

https://www.wfchistory.com/wp-content/u ... derers.jpg
FGW

Postby s.k.khanna » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:21 pm

worruz wrote: Manchester Utd were founded as Newton Heath FYR in 1878. They didn't become Manchester Utd until 1902, but to me the club was founded in 1878.
If its directly the same club name changes don't count as far as I'm concerned. Its still inherently the same club.

Agreed. If it was a human being that just changed their name then it's still the same person. If it was a human being that died and all their body parts were transplanted to a different body then it becomes a different person. (Do love a good "Hammer" film me!!!)

More recent example is Ebbsfleet United who of course were called Gravesend & Northfleet (Formed 1946) but changed their name in 2007. So effectively Ebbsfleet were founded in 1946. However, Gravesend & Northfleet were created by the merger between Gravesend United (Formed 1893) and Northfleet United (Formed 1890) who both folded after the merger.

I used Roger's book as a reference point but it's also on our website [ https://www.wfchistory.com/potted-history/] and more importantly [ :D ] on our Wikipedia site
[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealdstone_F.C. ] as the year we were formed.
s.k.khanna

Postby s.k.khanna » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:35 pm

The Guvnor wrote:

I'm going with Mick Fishman on this one as I now recall actually seeing a colour photograph shown to me by Toby Jackson of Anthea Redfern in a Wealdstone shirt kicking the ball for the kick-off. Think she wore high heels. Just didn't twig it was the same game. However I do believe that Bruce Forsyth was also there at the kick-off. (Probably holding Anthea's hand for balance!!!)
s.k.khanna

Postby worruz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Wasn't Bruce in a referee's outfit pre kick off?

worruz

Postby 61663 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:09 pm

‘Phoenix clubs‘ ie those who have risen from the proverbial ashes of a defunct entity .....

and not renamed after relocation ....

much ado about nothing really....

There is now one ‘Phoenix’ club in the EPL and three in EFL1 ....

... and I doubt very much not a single one of their fans gives a proverbial about this fact....

... so why should we?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby worruz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 pm

61663 wrote:‘Phoenix clubs‘ ie those who have risen from the proverbial ashes of a defunct entity .....

and not renamed after relocation ....

much ado about nothing really....

There is now one ‘Phoenix’ club in the EPL and three in EFL1 ....

... and I doubt very much not a single one of their fans gives a proverbial about this fact....

... so why should we?

I don’t.

Coz I don’t give a f... about anybody else

Say

I don’t give a f... about anybody else.

worruz

Postby Enfield Stones » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:55 pm

Quoting from Roger's book on page vii under the sub-heading "Wealdstone FC":
" 1899 Wealdstone Albion FC dropped the 'Albion' and became Wealdstone FC also being joined by the remaining players from Wealdstone Wanderers FC and Wealdstone Rovers FC. Played in the Willesden and District League Division II as Wealdstone FC for the first time."

Manchester Utd were founded as Newton Heath FYR in 1878. They didn't become Manchester Utd until 1902, but to me the club was founded in 1878.

Look at Arsenal

Dial Square, Royal Arsenal. Woolwich Arsenal then Arsenal. - Same club

Don't start me on Leyton Orient. Too many changes.

If its the same club, its the same club.

If the 'club' in 1899 became a different one from the one when it was called Wealdstone Albion then fair enough its a different club.
If it was just a name change then its the same club as far as I'm concerned.[/quote]

Woolwich Arsenal......was not aware of that !!!!!!
Enfield Stones

Postby s.k.khanna » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am

Enfield Stones wrote: Woolwich Arsenal......was not aware of that !!!!!!

Yup...they moved across to North London at the behest of a gentleman called Sol Judas Campbell who was so bitter and twisted the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club already in that area had rejected him at an earlier age.
Sol Campbell was also responsible for the 2nd World War and The Falklands War.
s.k.khanna

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum