Leo

For all things Wealdstone FC

Leo

Postby worruz » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Not sure of all the facts but according to some posts on twitter it looks like Leo Morris may no longer be head supremo at the social club anymore.

I'm sure there will be more info at tomorrow's meeting but all the best to Leo for all his efforts as coach then social club manager over 25 years.

Hope he'll still be at games.
Great character.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Re: Leo

Postby TalkinStone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:17 pm

I did wonder if something was a bit off. We just didn’t seem to be opening back up after the lockdown.

I may be wrong but the bar was open for the champions event (Which was great) and (misguidedly IMO) for the trophy presentation but no other sign of opening. Other local non-league clubs and cricket clubs were promoting being open and encouraging supporters down for a beer but the first notification from RSC was a tweet saying the club was open yesterday afternoon, I assume for the first time. Maybe it was because Leo and Karen have been on furlough?

Given we had an all London FA Cup final, Brentford and Fulham in the play off final both with no fans allowed I thought we’d open for these type of games at least.

If true Leo has done brilliantly throughout his time at the club, I’d be surprised if the current Board didn’t acknowledge this and recognise his time but these days sometimes social media leads the way.
TalkinStone

Postby deadly » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:30 pm

When searching for info, I found this previous news article:
https://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/sport/145 ... s-re-sign/

"Leo is not only a great footballing man who always speaks honestly, he is totally trustworthy and a man of integrity."

That quote is as relevant today as it ever was.
Very sad news.
Last edited by deadly on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby attic » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Indeed Leo has been a massive part of the club during the last 25 years. From his role as GB's assistant to the Manager of RMSSC. He's very much someone who 'got' Wealdstone from the offset. I always found him to be one of those blokes that was usually correct in his assessments of situations and he didn't suffer fools lightly. Seeing him cutting down a few emotional opinions at FAD's was always entertaining. Would always conclude with a wry smile on his face and then a logical explanation of why that person was wrong. Every so often he'd come out with a big of a grump laden line such as "what do you know about footballers? You can barely kick a ball!"and he was probably right.

As for his departure from the role I'd guess the club want to take a different direction with the social club. Whether this is the right decision can only be proved in the longer term. We all know no individual is bigger than the club and I'm sure Leo is big and ugly enough to acknowledge this. However, who's to say that his role in Wealdstone Football Club is over for now? A capable man as he can still offer something should he wish to be involved.

He can hold his head extremely high regardless.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby s.k.khanna » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:59 pm

...end of an era indeed! :(
s.k.khanna

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Anyone who can give 25 years service to any institution these days should be applauded but to have achieved what Leo has in that period needs special mention.

No doubt the reasons will come out in the wash but it will be a big loss to the club and I'm sure its a big loss to Leo too.

Hopefully he'll still be around as a fan because thats what he'd become over the years.
The Guvnor

Postby worruz » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:31 pm

'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Return to stonesnet forum