Wealdstone vs Luton Town Pre Season Friendly

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Wealdstone vs Luton Town Pre Season Friendly

Postby attic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:32 am

From what I've seen Beasant reminds me a bit of Rikki Banks. Capable of pulling off some great saves, decent kicker and more agile than he looks. Needs to work on his aerial game though and handling not quite as assured as Isted or the Ox.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Sounds as though Luton will be putting out a strong squad so a big test tonight.

I've purchased the live stream but being of a certain age I'm half expecting something to go wrong with the technology.

However if all goes well its something I would be interested in doing on a more regular basis, it certainly beats standing out in the cold and rain on a January afternoon.
The Guvnor

Postby Yellowcoat » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:53 pm

Anyone able to pick up the live stream yet?
Yellowcoat

Postby attic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:56 pm

Harry Isted named in Stones starting line up. Apparently we're borrowing him for a game or so.....
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Wealdstone vs Luton Town Pre Season Friendly

Postby LapelsToby » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:57 pm

The streaming worked well (once you got in) until 29 mins when I lost about 10 minutes of match time. Understood others did too. Meant not having to see Luton's second goal at least. Easy to get dispirited when you see a Stones side barely muster a shot on goal, but the opposition was from the Championship so we should be outclassed, I guess. Best effort was a Danny Green free-kick that brought a flying save from the Hatters' keeper, but otherwise we rarely threatened. Some good personal performances from McClennan and Sheppard. Once again we fielded a completely different XI in the second half other than Isted in goal. Final score 0-3.
LapelsToby

Postby charlie » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Problem with streaming some able to sign in and watch for Free. sign up for account enter password Bingo... I paid,

Looked useful trialist 18 Benyu.
charlie

Postby The Guvnor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm

First half we had a very familiar looking team out who did ok in my opinion. Playing against a Championship side who've been training and playing the last 3/4 months and a very strong wind made it very difficult. We've only just got back into training having been out 5 months so I don't think we could have done much more. 2nd half a bit better once they made their substitutions but throughout we just looked very rusty. Our touch and decision making was sloppy but again we are at the start of our 6 week pre season so that will come.

As everyone now knows the Live Stream went down for 10 minutes in the first half which is not ideal. If its free then ok but having paid for it thats not satisfactory. It will be a late decision as to whether I go with it again on Saturday.
The Guvnor

Postby timfparks » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:59 pm

To answer Deadly's question .. yes, there is a new-look programme to cover the whole of pre-season (and very readable it is too) which will be available from saturday afternoon. With a bit of luck there will be a digital edition too.
As for the Luton game... yes, I was a bit nonplussed by the disappearing live stream midway through the first half but I'm sure the technicians are working hard on not having a repeat on saturday. That was an excellent work out, with pretty much a 2019-20 XI featuring in the first half, and a lot of new and fringe faces appearing after the break. Luton did something similar and it was an interesting match up as our triallists (though we are not supposed to mention their names) looked pretty impressive. A youngster at the back and an ex-Celtic unpolished diamond in midfield looked like prime candidates for a Dean Brennan rescue job.
It was Luton's greater understanding that proved telling, but no surprise there. They are a Championship side on the back of an incredible run that saved them from relegation, while we are only in our third week back with one game under our belts.
The blustery wind did nobody any favours but at least the East Stand didn't get blown away (Kaney please note)
timfparks

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:18 pm

timfparks wrote:..and an ex-Celtic unpolished diamond in midfield looked like prime candidates for a Dean Brennan rescue job.

Seems to have had an outstanding spell with Aldershot a couple of years ago when on loan from Ipswich, before then signing for Celtic. Could be that quality we need in the middle of the park.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby Bananas » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:54 pm

timfparks wrote:The blustery wind did nobody any favours but at least the East Stand didn't get blown away (Kaney please note)

If I didn't know you better Timbo, I'd have taken that as a deliberate attempt to provoke a reaction out of me... :P

Nah, that roof is sound now. After the last time when my warnings were ignored by those who shall remain nameless, the powers that be decided it might be a good idea to finally bolt the bloody thing down to the ground.

Funnily enough, was only going through those emails and screenshots the other evening, still get a shiver down my spine when I think about what happened...but that's a story for another day. ;)
However, to this day, I still won't go in that end when it's full of people.
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum