Stones v Colchester

For all things Wealdstone FC

Stones v Colchester

Postby charlie » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:16 am

Apathy and the situation currently rule. Never known this forum not to comment on a match . Tumble weed.

First half we were the better team and went in a goal up. Green being sent off ruined the friendly. They say he will be suspended at season start.

Wholesale changes second half and the quality dropped. Not one of the trialists looked worth taking a punt on.

The Aldershot/celtic player looks as if he has done a runner.
charlie

Re: Stones v Colchester

Postby deadly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:10 am

I watched via my tv but missed the first 20 mins due to internet connections at my end, I reebooted my pc and at Don Cross's advise signed out and signed back in, and from then on no problems. I thought both our first half team and our second half team played a lot better than v Luton, an improvement that saw us winning at half time despite the poor ref who responded to the Colchester players vastly over-reacting to a sliding tackle that was barely a yellow. This is something that the team will have to deal with more and more in the National, so maybe an early lesson. Overall, a better performance and it will help Dean sort out the gems from the dross.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby Elmslie Ender » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:31 am

DB mentioned at the meet the manager that the trailists will be culled a week on Tuesday.
Last edited by Elmslie Ender on Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elmslie Ender

Postby kit man » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:19 am

charlie wrote:Apathy and the situation currently rule. Never known this forum not to comment on a match . Tumble weed. CORRECT

First half we were the better team and went in a goal up. Green being sent off ruined the friendly. They say he will be suspended at season start. INCORRECT

Wholesale changes second half and the quality dropped. Not one of the trialists looked worth taking a punt on. INCORRECT

The Aldershot/celtic player looks as if he has done a runner INCORRECT.

Try harder Charlie
kit man

Postby charlie » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:23 am

Well there is some good news from Kit man !
charlie

Postby Enfield Stones » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 am

kit man wrote:
charlie wrote:Apathy and the situation currently rule. Never known this forum not to comment on a match . Tumble weed. CORRECT

First half we were the better team and went in a goal up. Green being sent off ruined the friendly. They say he will be suspended at season start. INCORRECT

Wholesale changes second half and the quality dropped. Not one of the trialists looked worth taking a punt on. INCORRECT

The Aldershot/celtic player looks as if he has done a runner INCORRECT.

Try harder Charlie

One thing correct out of 4 statements is about par for this forum !!! Never let the truth get in the way of a good story !!!!
Enfield Stones

Postby Ronnie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:33 am

Far from apathetic, I really enjoyed the game as I have all the games so far. Over a month to go, manager and his team making the best of the situation to judge both established and prospective players. Really competitive in this one against a decent side a level above us, and even though 11 v 11 would have been better, these things happen in league matches too and all things considered did well.

Can't wait for the season proper.
Ronnie

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 am

It was a decent game up until the sending off with both teams looking fairly toothless going forward but it was a good competitive workout. We were certainly much improved from the Luton game but that was probably down to inferior opposition. Defensively we were good and we looked strong and organised. We most definitely need to strengthen in central midfield, I don't think we can wait for the one good moment from Danny Green every 5 games and at NL level lunging tackles are only going to end up with one outcome. Its a professional league with professional attitudes so we need to wise up fast. It was quite noticeable watching Luton and to a lesser extent Colchester that players were sharper in those midfield areas and its all about getting to the ball first staying on your feet. Players that are 1/2 a yard slow and try to compensate by lunging in just won't cut it. After the sending off and changes the game became a bit one sided but the likes of Wishart and Parrish showed enough to suggest they'll be useful additions. We seem to have a lot of competition for the left back slot but the only one for me who looks a natural in that position is Mclennan. Does what it says on the label. It could well be that DB does what he did last year by bringing in some quality signings towards the end of pre season. We certainly need to strengthen.
The Guvnor

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 am

Oh yes, nearly forgot, another poor day for the live stream with no sound during the build up which continued for about 10 minutes into the game followed by about 15/20 minutes of poor sound quality.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt after the Luton game but I'm afraid thats me done with it now.
The Guvnor

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:14 am

Likewise, enjoyed the game too. Very competitive and I thought we were the better side in the first half. Connor Smith looked strong in the middle and the back 4 very solid. Not sure Moses out wide really worked and Lafayette seemed to struggle with his first touch as Colchester got tight on him.

Additions to the squad are inevitable but it’s good we are not rushing in given the 1000+ pros out of contract right now. Plenty of choice nearer to the season starting. There was a short interview with DB on the National League Twitter account over the weekend where he highlighted how our game plan will need to change this season, less about overloads in the opposition half and fullbacks bombing on, the quality of the opposition will hurt us if we’re not tactically astute.

Whilst there were a few technical issues with the live streaming, it’s the first time we’ve ever done something like this and I’m impressed tbh. Watched on TV and the picture quality was great, commentary very professional too.
BornundertheElmslie

Next

Return to stonesnet forum